Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK better than USA in downturn

Wikiposts

UK better than USA in downturn

Old May 27th 2009, 12:22 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: UK better than USA in downturn

You need to be educated or skilled to work in the US IMHO.

Take the engineering sector in the UK People earn 20k a year compared to 50-60k USD or 75-100k in Australia

20k Sterling is nothing in many cases in Australia people at Mcdonalds earn more than that.
Old May 27th 2009, 3:43 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie
You need to be educated or skilled to work in the US IMHO.
Take the engineering sector in the UK People earn 20k a year compared to 50-60k USD or 75-100k in Australia
20k Sterling is nothing in many cases in Australia people at Mcdonalds earn more than that.
Fair comment - the masses working minimum wage or low pay jobs are getting the brunt, there is a lot of talk on the shop floor at my workplace about it being a safe haven there and people are clamouring to get in quick before another hiring freeze hits.
Me, I did time here in factories, mills and on building sites before finally getting degree-insurance; its very true that the working class (if such a thing even exists here) have it pretty rough in the best of times in this country.

The earlier comment about the US being a country for the young and energetic is pretty bang-on also. I'm in my early 40's and tbh, although I am more than able to manage the daily ins and outs of life here - in going back, I'd actually have to learn a fair bit about home. Still, the notion of retiring in the US holds very little appeal - quite scary actually.

-on the other hand-

Of course, if the UK continues to incrementally model itself on the US as it has done over the last *cough* years, the present differences probably won't be that stark in another 10.........what to do - what to do.
Old May 27th 2009, 4:02 pm
Banned

bfittler is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: UK better than USA in downturn

Originally Posted by garrettciaran
I returned home to UK in March, due to the worsening economic climate in the USA. Prices and utilities were going up every month in Texas, and it became very difficult when 2 breadwinners on $10 an hour doing 40 hours can't make it in the USA.

After arriving in UK, I found a home and a job fairly quickly and the food bills and utilities are a lot LOWER than in the USA. I was shocked after 5 years in Texas. The price of American food is ridiculous.

I love the Texan sunshine, the wonderful people, but I am afraid it is a backwater state and light years behind in healthcare and welfare.

I cut up my GC on arrival back in UK, and never looked back since.

People who are bought up on free luxury NHS treatment find it difficult to adjust in USA.The average salary of a person with a good degree in US is USD$13k per month after tax and this is the figure even in this hard economic time.

Nothing is free in this world the luxury NHS (healthcare,welfare) enjoyed by UK citizens,overseas students, their student dependants,Italians,Spanish, Greeks etc. in UK are all paid in tax every month.

Whereas in USA you never pay any contribution from you monthly take home.It was your choice to move to USA in the begining then why to feel sorry now?USA is not a welfare state, the retirement system in USA doesn't work like UK too and if you want things for free Canada is a better option to move.
Old May 27th 2009, 6:16 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
I believe that it's only an illusion that the UK is better off than the US. The UK government are experimenting by using the system' quantitive easing' which is printing money to pour into propping up the economy.
The UK is just copying the US, which has been printing money like crazy for years.

Bev
Old May 27th 2009, 7:12 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfittler
People who are bought up on free luxury NHS treatment find it difficult to adjust in USA.The average salary of a person with a good degree in US is USD$13k per month after tax and this is the figure even in this hard economic time.

Nothing is free in this world the luxury NHS (healthcare,welfare) enjoyed by UK citizens,overseas students, their student dependants,Italians,Spanish, Greeks etc. in UK are all paid in tax every month.

Whereas in USA you never pay any contribution from you monthly take home.It was your choice to move to USA in the begining then why to feel sorry now?USA is not a welfare state, the retirement system in USA doesn't work like UK too and if you want things for free Canada is a better option to move.
Wow, where'd that figure come from? By "good degree" do you mean undergrad degree? I have a PhD and was netting just over $3k a month (in 2006) ,,, that's a far cry from $13k,
Old May 27th 2009, 7:54 pm
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
The UK is just copying the US, which has been printing money like crazy for years.

Bev
Yes and look how it's all ended in tears. I think if people can be sensible now and take control of how they spend, save and invest their income regardless of how much or how little they earn, they will get themselves into a better situation.

As a business, we were going to open retail outlets but we're not even going to think about the overheads involved. Instead we're going to focus on our mail order and web site operation and just run a head office and production outlet which ultimately means we can keep our prices down. It's all about the bottom line in the end for us all.
Old May 27th 2009, 9:28 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Whereas in USA you never pay any contribution from you monthly take home.It was your choice to move to USA in the begining then why to feel sorry now?
USA is not a welfare state, the retirement system in USA doesn't work like UK too and if you want things for free Canada is a better option to move.
Unfortunately that is true, however right now seems the best chance Americans have had in a long time for proper social services to be made available to them.

Hopefully, it won't be the usual case of lots of flash and talk and little real substance (eg: FLMA) The recent push for a national mandated minimum vac allowance looks like its going to be business as usual (one lousy week ).
Old May 28th 2009, 12:41 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
You're switched on today Joules. Doesn't the newly arranged name say it all? I had problems with updating my details so I just re registered. It was easier. If that's OK with you.
I never realized, I had an on and off button
Old May 28th 2009, 4:27 am
Banned

bfittler is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: UK better than USA in downturn

Originally Posted by dunroving
Wow, where'd that figure come from? By "good degree" do you mean undergrad degree? I have a PhD and was netting just over $3k a month (in 2006) ,,, that's a far cry from $13k,
Phd is too high.I only have an under-grad degree in computers. I know many collegues,friends who are working 85 hours a week in US even in this bad recession (IT/Computers).
Old May 28th 2009, 5:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Phd is too high.I only have an under-grad degree in computers. I know many collegues,friends who are working 85 hours a week in US even in this bad recession (IT/Computers).
Working 85 hrs and netting 13k a month are two different things, so I still question the accuracy of this salary estimate. I mean, Bill Gates has no degree whatsoever, but his salary isn't representative. Similarly, I can't believe 13k a month is representative of achievable earnings, regardless of what degree you have.
Old May 28th 2009, 5:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
Working 85 hrs and netting 13k a month are two different things, so I still question the accuracy of this salary estimate. I mean, Bill Gates has no degree whatsoever, but his salary isn't representative. Similarly, I can't believe 13k a month is representative of achievable earnings, regardless of what degree you have.
He said that was after tax...so you could more or less double that figure
Old May 28th 2009, 6:06 am
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He said that was after tax...so you could more or less double that figure
I already figured out that depenidng on what state you are in, and how many federal alowances, this is well over 250 p.a. (closer to 300k) ... so you're about right ... not exactly an "average" salary for a degreed person.
Old May 28th 2009, 10:53 am
Bugger Off!

Silly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond reputeSilly Sod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
That is not true...many people who post in the US forums have moved to the US because they have married Americans. There are also some who have moved because of jobs and have not had the easy life you describe.
What she said
Old May 28th 2009, 11:55 am
BE Enthusiast

cathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nicecathy22w is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
There are many who come on visas where they are transferred by international companies and I know they are earning probably double or triple what we live on.
I bet if we did a poll on income and number of people it supported (if anyone was willing to answer honestly) you'd find a large number on 6 figures. Not always an easy life, I never said it was, moving a family is streesful and scary for anyone. We are happy with what we have, and I enjoy my life here as I did with my life in UK.
Those kind of incomes are a whole other world from anyone working at WalMart and HomeDepot.
I just think that it's not worth posting the negative stuff over on that board. Sort of like banging your head on a wall, no ones really interested.
Well I am a 'professional' on an H1B and my salary is crappy. In 6 years, I have only earned $1.53 an hour more than I started on! That is despite constantly good performance evaluations.

I agree - utilities and bills are really expensive compared to the UK. And food? I found it really expensive when I first moved here - learned to budget.

H1B expires end of June and I am heading back to the UK. Probably the best thing for now. My son is now 15 and itching to work. He wouldn't have been able to do that until I had GC status. Was offered a job today near Nottingham doing exactly what I am doing in the US. However, if you convert the pounds to dollars, it pays 50% more per year. AND 6 weeks vacation!!! Currently I am getting only 3 weeks.

So there you go. Not bitter - but clearly the 'American dream' isn't all it's cracked up to be. At least not for regular people. lol.