uk benifits?

Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:21 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: uk benifits?

Originally Posted by Aliland
Hi, I'd like to thank charley girl. Keep in mind this forum is largely for Expats trying to plan moving back, we are out of touch with the system and specifics are really useful. The link for turn2us was also helpful.
+ another 1.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 5:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
+ another 1.
And another. +1
Old Apr 16th 2012, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
I still can't work out how you get UK housing benefits when you own a house in the US. Even by signing it over for nothing, you would be depriving yourself of your assets and therefore be entitled to £0 of any UK welfare payments, as you would be deemed as still having that money (even if you never received it).

When the benefit form asked something like, have you ever owned a property in the UK or abroad, what did you answer?
Are you asking me if i have a home in the US? I do not and not here in the UK either.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

tee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond reputetee1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Wow how rude.

A The last job I applied for ( a housekeeper)had 38 applicants... I did get a phone call in reply but when asked how old i am the tone of the callers voice changed, never heard again. I suppose I am classed as unskilled and feel on the scrap heap.
Tell them to f off next time, any employer who asks that is not worth your time and energy.
It is also illegal under age discrimination laws and you could create a right stink if you wanted. But again that type of employer is not worth the effort.
You can most certainly do better

Someone has already posted a link but Direct Gov is your source for all things work, benefit, related

Last edited by tee1; Apr 16th 2012 at 7:11 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

It passed and received Royal Assent on 8 March 2012.

It's not the "working" parents they are after. They are after the parents who don't work much as they prefer to claim welfare payments instead.
Well this is very sad news.

My husband already secured full time work at the age of 53 (after 2 weeks back in the UK), he works 40+ hrs a week.

The proposals are such ,that when our little girl reaches 5 *I* must also work outside the home for 20 hrs (ALSO) to still receive the 'top -up' benefits families get if they are on a low wage.

In an area like this, most work is min-wage ...its vital for most ordinary families to be able to make ends meet. On paper ,it appears ever so simple for me to get a job for 20 hrs , the reality is so different.

Why the hell should I be forced out to work too? I work bloody hard in the home ...I need to be there when my children come home, as my DH works shifts.

I could write about this all day, I'll stop now... before I explode
Old Apr 16th 2012, 8:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

I still can't work out how you get UK housing benefits when you own a house in the US. Even by signing it over for nothing, you would be depriving yourself of your assets and therefore be entitled to £0 of any UK welfare payments, as you would be deemed as still having that money (even if you never received it).

When the benefit form asked something like, have you ever owned a property in the UK or abroad, what did you answer?
It doesn't ask that question.

It asks if you *still* own property.

Poor charleygirl has been through hell recently, all you seem to do, is look for ways to upset people and make them feel low.

A bit like gloating IMO.

There will always be those that abuse the system in the UK, I don't think most ex-pats do though.They have a right to come home and start over!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Aw thanks gaby and the others for support. Wish I did own a home, life would be so much easier.
Good luck with your move Gaby, do you have a date yet? Great hubby got a job lined up!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Aw thanks gaby and the others for support. Wish I did own a home, life would be so much easier.
Good luck with your move Gaby, do you have a date yet? Great hubby got a job lined up!
We are home

We have been back about 6 wks now...I've been a bit lazy with posting though

I really hope you find something soon, it was very brave of you to come home -the very best of luck to you!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:20 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: uk benifits?

Originally Posted by morayeel
I dont' have much. I am leaving my abusive husband. We rent over here here. He only works part time and so we don't have much. I will have approx five thousand pounds and one suitcase!

These websites may be helpful:

http://www.womensaid.org.uk (especially their "Survivors Handbook" section which has sections on 'Money Issues' and 'Housing')

http://www.refuge.org.uk

Wishing you all the best
Old Apr 16th 2012, 2:50 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: uk benifits?

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
You are implying that, because you would only be about 10 pound a week better off by working and having to pay to get to your place of work, you would prefer to remain on benefits.

This is both a sad indictment of the state of the UK, and of yourself.

By taking a job, no matter how small an increase over benefits, you at least have the chance of improving your lot in life. On benefits - no chance at all.
What you don't realise (or choose not to) is that it is so difficult for so many people in the UK to take a mininum wage job precisely because they will have even less money to live on simply because of how the benefit system is applied.

It costs money to actually get to the workplace (unless one is lucky enough to get a local job and can walk, ride a bike or a travel on short bus journey to the workplace) and the need to buy suitable clothes for work. My daughter's train fare to get to work is 120 pounds each month, plus the cost of childcare for her baby

I can understand that taking a minimum wage job is do-able for a young person living with his/her parents and who has no family responsibilities....but when one is at risk of being unable to pay the rent - and therefore possibly losing ones home - by taking a low-wage job because the subsidies would be greatly reduced or eliminated, (indeed they are a huge 'comfort blanket') then it's understandable why someone would baulk at applying for a low-wage job.

I used to work at what used to be called the ESJ (Employment Service Jobcentre) and left to move overseas more than 17 years ago. I'm shocked that the 'disregard' before penny for penny is taken off earnings, is still so low
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:06 pm

Thumbs down Re: uk benifits?

Originally Posted by Jay Bird
Gosh....that's great for your self-esteem, eh! Something dreadfully wrong with the system here in the UK.

When OH and I returned to the UK nearly 4 years ago we were fast approaching 60; within 3 weeks we'd secured temporary work through an agency....not a great wage but better than the demoralising process of applying for benefits. In fact the thought never crossed our minds. Within 7 weeks of our return we had secured the permanent jobs we are both still working at. We are both in our 60's and intend to work for as long as we are physically and mentally able.

Benefits? No way! Okay, I'll put my soapbox away now....one that I piad for, by the way, out of my own wage.
Well, Bully for you!

You seem to be very smug and high-minded. Not everyone is fortunate to be able to secure a job so soon after moving back to the UK. The job market was very different 4 years ago when you moved back, compared to what it is today.

At least the UK has a safety net. In New Jersey (where I live) one can claim unemployment benefits for a maximum of 99 weeks (it used to be for a max of one year until the 2008 recession caused many more long-term unemployment). After the 99 weeks are up, then there is no govt. help whatsoever, although families may apply for food stamps and are expected to go to the charity 'food banks'. There are people living in tents in NJ because they have lost their homes due to unemployment
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

I am 300 pounds a month short on what I need to pay my rent and utilities, I had a small lump sum from my divorce but only have about 3 months money left... not sure what will happen then. To work for 100 pounds a week and only have 10 pounds left to pay for bus fare which is 3.50 return to town each day... would not improve my life at all.
One of these days I will sit and count how many jobs I have applied for... my Job Seeker advisor told me on Thursday that I am lucky in some ways, because I have had 2 interviews and one phone call.. many of the folks on his lists have been unemployed over a year and never even gotten a reply

englishmum, thanks, seems like you are in the real world...
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:20 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I am 300 pounds a month short on what I need to pay my rent and utilities, I had a small lump sum from my divorce but only have about 3 months money left... not sure what will happen then. To work for 100 pounds a week and only have 10 pounds left to pay for bus fare which is 3.50 return to town each day... would not improve my life at all.
One of these days I will sit and count how many jobs I have applied for... my Job Seeker advisor told me on Thursday that I am lucky in some ways, because I have had 2 interviews and one phone call.. many of the folks on his lists have been unemployed over a year and never even gotten a reply

englishmum, thanks, seems like you are in the real world...
Chareygirl

I'm sorry you're having a tough go of it.Keep plugging away and continue to make the effort.Nothing stays the same as my dear mother used to say.Something good will eventually happen.Keep your chin up
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:10 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Wow how rude.
And yes I am saying why be out of pocket to work, well I cant and thats it.

Anyway if only I had been offered a job at 100 a week, I was only trying to explain the benefit system using some round numbers for the OP who was asking.

Jaybird well done on securing jobs, the situation for someone of my age in Leicester is dire. I am 60. The last job I applied for ( a housekeeper)had 38 applicants... I did get a phone call in reply but when asked how old i am the tone of the callers voice changed, never heard again. I suppose I am classed as unskilled and feel on the scrap heap.
It is against the law to ask a job applicant their age....perhaps you would be as well to bone up on employment law. I was almost 60 and living in Manchester at the time I got a0temp work through and agency, then b) the job I am now in in rural west Sussex working as....a housekeeper in a private house. My age has not gone against me, but I always have a very positive attitude. And yes, I know you were only trying to explain the benefits system.....but really, this is irrelevant to anyone else, as every case is different.

I hope you find work soon before yur self-esteem dies completely
Old Apr 17th 2012, 12:18 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Englishmum
Well, Bully for you!

You seem to be very smug and high-minded. Not everyone is fortunate to be able to secure a job so soon after moving back to the UK. The job market was very different 4 years ago when you moved back, compared to what it is today.

At least the UK has a safety net. In New Jersey (where I live) one can claim unemployment benefits for a maximum of 99 weeks (it used to be for a max of one year until the 2008 recession caused many more long-term unemployment). After the 99 weeks are up, then there is no govt. help whatsoever, although families may apply for food stamps and are expected to go to the charity 'food banks'. There are people living in tents in NJ because they have lost their homes due to unemployment
Actually I am neither smug nor high-minded, but angry with the negative attitude and a willingness to surrender to the UK saftey net. All too quickly it becomes a way of life rather than a temporary measure. Yes, it is really difficult to find work, particularly with the current economic situation; believe me, when I returned almost 4 years ago it wasn't that much easier, but a positive attitude, and a willingness to travel nearly 200 miles just for an interview went a long way in helping secure the job I now have. If I came across as "smug" you couldn't be more wrong; every day I'm grateful to be in the position I am.....but it's our (me and my OH) determination that has helped.

Nobody is ever going to beat a path to your door offering you employment (or anything else in this life)....you have to go out there and meet it at least halfway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.