uk benifits?

Old Apr 13th 2012, 9:38 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: uk benifits?

Thanks a lot. Her youngest will be five in the summer and the other child, nine. So if she works say 3 days a week at £50 a day, what kind of credit could she expect. Her husband is planning a minimum wage factory job for the first year while he looks around. I understand that amounts are hard to calculate, but I just can't seem to work it out!
As for behavior, it is going to be a shock - but (hopefully) the school she plans to send her kids to are going to let them 'hangout ' for the last week of term, which will help her and the kids to make a few friends to cope with the shock. We do also have lovely cousins, many with kids - we may be out of touch, but its not like moving to a foreign country.
Old Apr 14th 2012, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by formula
How old is her youngest child? If they are 12 or over, then under the welfare reform bill that starts next year for the new Universal Credit, she will be expected to work 35 hours per week at NMW (meaning earning £212.80 per week - £6.08 x 35). If the youngest is over 5 but under 12, she will be expected to find 20hours work per week at NMW.
TBH I doubt that bill will pass.( or with those stipulations anyway)

There are too few jobs around for one earner in a family, let alone two!

Also the Government have nothing to improve childcare ...it will be chaos IMO.

Something had to be done about the lazy bums in this country, but,as usual, its the average working family that will be hardest hit.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

petrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond reputepetrichor has a reputation beyond repute

Aliland, your sister may find some of the information she's seeking at this site: http://www.turn2us.org.uk/benefits_search.aspx
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:01 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

If I can just stick my nose in here.....I've not visited BE for such a long time, so thought I'd just pop in for a quick look around.

You might find this website useful:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/index.htm

Good luck to your sister.....
Old Apr 15th 2012, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to share what benefits I get.
My rent from a private landlord is 610 pounds a month
Council tax is 133 pounds a month.
I get 100.22 a week towards my rent and my council tax is 17 pounds a month.
I get Job Seekers of 135.00 every two weeks. going up to 142 next time.
Now if I work I can earn 5 pounds and it will not affect my JS but then I lose pound for pound. So if I get a job earning 100 pounds a week, I would lose 66 pounds of my JS money and then I would have to pay 65% of any over that 71 towards my rent. so of the 100 pounds I actually would be 11 pound better off per week. actually not even that because I would have to pay more council tax too and be working and paying to get there, so in fact be worse off.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 7:37 pm
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by charleygirl
Now if I work I can earn 5 pounds and it will not affect my JS but then I lose pound for pound. So if I get a job earning 100 pounds a week, I would lose 66 pounds of my JS money and then I would have to pay 65% of any over that 71 towards my rent. so of the 100 pounds I actually would be 11 pound better off per week. actually not even that because I would have to pay more council tax too and be working and paying to get there, so in fact be worse off.
Gosh....that's great for your self-esteem, eh! Something dreadfully wrong with the system here in the UK.

When OH and I returned to the UK nearly 4 years ago we were fast approaching 60; within 3 weeks we'd secured temporary work through an agency....not a great wage but better than the demoralising process of applying for benefits. In fact the thought never crossed our minds. Within 7 weeks of our return we had secured the permanent jobs we are both still working at. We are both in our 60's and intend to work for as long as we are physically and mentally able.

Benefits? No way! Okay, I'll put my soapbox away now....one that I piad for, by the way, out of my own wage.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

You are implying that, because you would only be about 10 pound a week better off by working and having to pay to get to your place of work, you would prefer to remain on benefits.

This is both a sad indictment of the state of the UK, and of yourself.

By taking a job, no matter how small an increase over benefits, you at least have the chance of improving your lot in life. On benefits - no chance at all.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

charleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond reputecharleygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Wow how rude.
And yes I am saying why be out of pocket to work, well I cant and thats it.

Anyway if only I had been offered a job at 100 a week, I was only trying to explain the benefit system using some round numbers for the OP who was asking.

Jaybird well done on securing jobs, the situation for someone of my age in Leicester is dire. I am 60. The last job I applied for ( a housekeeper)had 38 applicants... I did get a phone call in reply but when asked how old i am the tone of the callers voice changed, never heard again. I suppose I am classed as unskilled and feel on the scrap heap.
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow how rude.

Anyway if only I had been offered a job at 100 a week, I was only trying to explain the benefit system using some round numbers for the OP who was asking.

Jaybird well done on securing jobs, the situation for someone of my age in Leicester is dire. I am 60. The last job I applied for ( a housekeeper)had 38 applicants... I did get a phone call in reply but when asked how old i am the tone of the callers voice changed, never heard again. I suppose I am classed as unskilled and feel on the scrap heap.
Oh my...can you really be asked your age in interviews in the U.K? That's scary and why should it matter if you're able bodied and willing?
Old Apr 15th 2012, 10:46 pm
Forum Regular

michael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the roughmichael rothwell is a jewel in the rough

Well Done Jaybird I am hopeing to move back with my USC wife as I can't Find work here In orlando after moveing down here from Massachussets after loosing my job there are 7 plus years .

I would be happy with any work I can find for both me and wife we hope to be moving in with a friend they will let us stay rent free till we find a place of our own I am 59 and hate being out of work
Old Apr 15th 2012, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

Aliland is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'd like to thank charley girl. Keep in mind this forum is largely for Expats trying to plan moving back, we are out of touch with the system and specifics are really useful. The link for turn2us was also helpful.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Oh my...can you really be asked your age in interviews in the U.K? That's scary and why should it matter if you're able bodied and willing?
It really is naive to think that age does not matter.

Yes, it probably shouldn't in certain industries, but just try to get a job in Silicon Valley if you are over 40.

Even if they don't ask you your age, your length of experience on your CV, plus those "older faces", are going to give you away.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Apr 16th 2012 at 12:15 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
TBH I doubt that bill will pass.
It passed and received Royal Assent on 8 March 2012.

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
,as usual, its the average working family that will be hardest hit.
It's not the "working" parents they are after. They are after the parents who don't work much as they prefer to claim welfare payments instead.

Last edited by formula; Apr 16th 2012 at 12:38 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:30 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Wow how rude.
I still can't work out how you get UK housing benefits when you own a house in the US. Even by signing it over for nothing, you would be depriving yourself of your assets and therefore be entitled to £0 of any UK welfare payments, as you would be deemed as still having that money (even if you never received it).

When the benefit form asked something like, have you ever owned a property in the UK or abroad, what did you answer?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aliland
Hi, I'd like to thank charley girl. Keep in mind this forum is largely for Expats trying to plan moving back, we are out of touch with the system and specifics are really useful. The link for turn2us was also helpful.
+ 1.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.