Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Moving back after 38 years!

Moving back after 38 years!

Old May 8th 2012, 2:28 pm
Just Joined

textmotif is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving back after 38 years!

I was born in St. Helens, but I've never lived in the UK as an adult. I'd like to move back for a year to experience my birth country, but I'm not sure how to do it. What documents do I need to get a job? How far can I get with a British passport as my ID, etc? What are the national IDs called and where do I get them, etc?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, London is very expensive... is there another place that would allow for a job and be easier on the wallet?

Thanks in advance.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:50 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving back after 38 years!

I don't live in the UK (I left in 1991) so I'm no expert, but I'll mention a couple of things and let others give more authoritative answers.

As far as I know, there is no national ID card in the UK. You'll be OK starting out with your British Passport and your US Drivers License. If you plan to remain in the UK forever, and wish to drive, you should consider getting a British Driving Licence, as I think you can only drive on your foreign licence for a year. This will involve getting a Provisional Licence and passing the test.

You'll need a National Insurance Number. Not sure if you have one, since you left the UK a while ago. Here's how to get the National Insurance Number.

You are right, London is expensive. Many other places are cheaper. Do you have family to stay with when you start out?

Another resource is the UK Yankee site it includes a lot of specific information for Americans moving to & living in the UK.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm actually in Canada and not the States. I'll look at the link you've supplied. Again, thank you.
Old May 8th 2012, 6:58 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by textmotif
Thanks a lot for the reply. I'm actually in Canada and not the States. I'll look at the link you've supplied. Again, thank you.
Oops sorry about that. Still, the UK-Yankee site is good, many of the same questions arise for Canadians as Americans. Just to add.. birth certificate is another useful document, for instance for establishing your identity when you have the interview for the National Insurance Number.
Old May 8th 2012, 7:20 pm
Just Joined

Actually, my birth certificate is in another name, so I'm going to file a deed poll as one of my first tasks.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in St. Helens, but I've never lived in the UK as an adult. I'd like to move back for a year to experience my birth country, but I'm not sure how to do it. What documents do I need to get a job? How far can I get with a British passport as my ID, etc? What are the national IDs called and where do I get them, etc?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, London is very expensive... is there another place that would allow for a job and be easier on the wallet?

Thanks in advance.

If you have a current British passport that is all you need to actually enter the UK. For your own personal requirements, since you have not spent any time in the UK for years I would carry my birth certificate, driving licence etc.

There is no ID card in the UK.

Being a British citizen you won't need any documents to obtain a job but you would have been allocated a NI number at your birth so obtain this.

For jobs its the same as anywhere else. Look in agencies, job centres, newspapers etc.

London is very expensive so probably anywhere else would be cheaper for rentals, transport etc.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; May 8th 2012 at 8:41 pm.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:23 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
.... you would have been allocated a NI number at your birth so obtain this.
Only since 1992, surely? Prior to that they were allocated around age 16, I believe.. and we don't know what age OP left the UK.
Old May 8th 2012, 8:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
Only since 1992, surely? Prior to that they were allocated around age 16, I believe.. and we don't know what age OP left the UK.
True ..... so he may not have one anyway .......
Old May 8th 2012, 10:16 pm
Just Joined

I was carted away at 9 months old!
Old May 8th 2012, 10:25 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I was carted away at 9 months old!
you will also need a NHS number, that wasn't given at birth when you were born but is now. again DWP is a good place to start, as the can give you good advice.
Old May 8th 2012, 10:45 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by mikelincs
you will also need a NHS number, that wasn't given at birth when you were born but is now. again DWP is a good place to start, as the can give you good advice.
You don't need an NHS number to get treatment. It's used for tracking medical records, so it's useful but it's not a requirement.

Since the OP is from St. Helens (I grew up a few miles from there), might I suggest you explore your roots by living 'up North' which is much easier on the wallet, if you can find a job
Old May 8th 2012, 10:52 pm
Just Joined

Where did you have in mind as far as "Up North"?....
Old May 8th 2012, 11:10 pm
Occasionally here

sunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the roughsunnysideup is a jewel in the rough

Well if you're from St. Helens you must obviously consider living in Liverpool. Love it or loath it, it's an interesting place. Manchester too. There's a lot of history in both (and yes some rough areas), but a lot of interesting stuff. If you really don't know your roots, you should live in those places and learn about the industrial revolution. If you want a bit more upmarket but close to those cities, how about Chester? Then you can have Roman history thrown into the mix too.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:18 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Draw a 30-mile radius around Wigan, then superimpose areas of high unemployment and avoid them. Stay clear of Warrington.
Old May 8th 2012, 11:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How are you going to support yourself for a year in the UK?

You say that you will be looking for a job. What type of work will you be looking for? The job market is very tight at the moment so you should not expect to walk into something right away, so will need resources to tied you over.

With regard renting you may well be asked to provide a couple of month's rent up front due to you having no credit history. Opening up a bank account may be a little difficult until you have found a permanent place - a bit chicken and egg.

It would be a good idea to have a bank account in Canada with an international bank so you can transfer funds more easily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.