Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK benefits....how long till you're eligible?

UK benefits....how long till you're eligible?

Old Nov 24th 2008, 12:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK benefits....how long till you're eligible?

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
When I applied for tax credits it took about six months for us to get a decision but that was down to the faffing around and failure of the DWP to get back in touch with us to let us know that they couldn't process the application without Hubby having an NI number.
Depending upon when you applied, you might mean HM Revenue and Customs (formerly Inland Revenue) as they have been dealing with these claims for a few years. The DWP may have handled the NI Number application at the tax office's request.

Part of the problem is that the government gave responsibility for the claims to the (then) Inland Revenue. Despite it being called a tax credit, the payment is still a Benefit.

Staff at the DWP knew benefits were better administered by a benefits department experienced in the processing of benefits (Duh!) rather than a department experienced in taking money from people.
Old Nov 25th 2008, 10:53 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute

I wish you all well with the benefit claims - I myself am pondering coming back mid next year and have been to the UK a cuple of times. It is probably me but I'd need a loterry win and not just benefit to be able to adequately afford the UK. It seems to be just so expensive now and how anyone can afford to live on benefit with the shadow of deep recession over the country I just do not know.

Good luck all in that position.
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cherry6
Hi,
My husband applied for Jobseekers Allowance the day after we arrived. We too, did not want to be the scourge of the nation, but I had to ensure than we would have something coming in in case he did not find work (which he did a week later!). We still have not had our weeks worth of benefit, as it has to be decided by an appeal panel. Even though my husband is British born with a UK passport, he has to undergo a 'habitual residency' test. Anyone who leaves the UK for longer than 6 months, is not automatically entitled to benefit as they are not sure you actually reside in the UK when you return. So they have to investigate the situation. They cannot tell us when we will receive the money as it all 'takes time'. However if you are in dire straits financially and cannot find work, you should be able to get a crisis loan (not that we have needed one so dont know how hard it is to get one). We also telephoned for a child benefit pack, received that and have sent that off, but apparently that takes longer due to the fact we have been out of the country. We are also entitled to childrens tax credit now my husband is working, but cannot apply for that until we have child benefit numbers (so that will be a while as well).
In other words, being British may entitle you to benefit, but dont expect it to be quick. And expect a lot of frustration when dealing with anyone from the government departments on the phone, because even though they are nice and friendly you still get treated as if you are a foreigner.
What I am curious about is how come all the Europeans can go over the UK and get housing and benefits immediately and claim asylum. I heard that some Polish people are leaving in a 2 million pound home rent free! Yet, we're British and struggle to get a penny....
Old Dec 29th 2008, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

Clangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud ofClangers has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tillysmum
Hi ezzie

we arrived back mid august and I applied for jobseekers allowance straight away and had no problems getting it or family tax credit just waiting for child benefit to come through now. I was only claiming jobseekers for 5 weeks as I had interviews lined up before we got back, so have now stopped and am back in full time employement in my old job and LOVE it... Certainly was an eye opener working in oz has made me appreciate everything so much more.

Just sat here watching some robins and blue tits fighting over some nuts in the garden...
how long were you out of the country for?

- ah, just love those Robins!!
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Who are these many people suggesting that?
I am thankful someone told me about it, as i had no idea. I did not mention this decision when i went there, just simply asked if they could help me and they said yes.

I ended up being one of these "bludgers" myself recently. I feel i was entitled regardless of the fact I have been out of the country for a few years. The reason being, when I was living there I paid huge taxes and contributions over the years when I was a high earner.
The whole point of that system is to help people who fall on bad times. I was one of them due to a chronic illness. Thank god for it i say!
where did you go to ask for help??

Thanks
Old Dec 29th 2008, 6:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clangers
What I am curious about is how come all the Europeans can go over the UK and get housing and benefits immediately and claim asylum. I heard that some Polish people are leaving in a 2 million pound home rent free! Yet, we're British and struggle to get a penny....
It's not that simple. Arrivals in the UK from other countries (including Brits returning) have to be accepted as Habitually Resident in the UK to qualify for certain benefits.

Asylum Seekers (putting aside whether one thinks they are genuine or not) are by their very nature 'displaced' and for humanitarian reasons, different rules apply.

What confuses matters further is that many Asylum Seekers have been living in other European countries, obtained their 'Refugee' status there and then been given their Dutch/Swedish etc passports. They then go to the UK, arriving as 'Europeans' even though they were/are Asylum Seekers/Refugees by common considerations.

They still need to satisfy the HRT. In my old job, they were routinely found NOT to be habitually resident because our enquiries found that the social security payments in the previous countries were still being claimed, they still had tenancies of their housing, had only just received lump sum payments on the grounds they were now permanent residents of those countries...all sorts of things suggesting Fraud of public funds on quite a large scale.