Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK benefits....how long till you're eligible?

UK benefits....how long till you're eligible?

Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:32 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all
Default Re: UK benefits....how long till you're eligible?

I am 46 , a mother of five,grandma to 1
I am a teacher ,living in AD for over 4 years
We have the same as most here....that does not make us rich....
The only time i have mentioned our life style is in relivant topics...
I tend to rush ,as dont have all day to spend on here ....
Cotteslowe school (where i worked)was not allowed to do nativities when i was there.....
Getting a country wromg...not a hanging offence!!!!!!
Yes english is my first lang....also speak arabic and turkish (not fleunt)
Yes mydh is a highranking officer....and yes i do know what is going on in the world ........
fraud /sponging or what ever you would like to call it, in other parts of the world do not bother me i dont want to live there,and it wont affect ,what i own and where two of my sons choose to live......Also i have better things to do with my time ....Its called having a life!!!!!
People who still claim abraod ,just go to show why you are needed to jump through hoops ...this is one of many reasons uk is in debt.....
All said i still stand by what i say and dont believe handouts should be readily available....which is what this topic is about
On another note ..........why are you getting so angry if you dont care .......maybe you need a chill pill .......
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:04 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lobby lou
Cotteslowe school (where i worked)was not allowed to do nativities when i was there.....
Yes mydh is a highranking officer....and yes i do know what is going on in the world ........
fraud /sponging or what ever you would like to call it, in other parts of the world do not bother me i dont want to live there,and it wont affect ,what i own and where two of my sons choose to live......Also i have better things to do with my time ....Its called having a life!!!!!
People who still claim abraod ,just go to show why you are needed to jump through hoops ...this is one of many reasons uk is in debt.....
All said i still stand by what i say and dont believe handouts should be readily available....which is what this topic is about
On another note ..........why are you getting so angry if you dont care .......maybe you need a chill pill .......
I would be gutted if you were teaching my children. Your spelling, grammar and punctuation is absolutely appalling.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:09 am
BE Enthusiast

lobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to alllobby lou is a name known to all

Originally Posted by northernbird
I would be gutted if you were teaching my children. Your spelling, grammar and punctuation is absolutely appalling.
this is a chat board and usually in a hurry .....my results in class teaching are much different....also writing in teaching not typing ....hate computers
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:14 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think you need the chill pill. That is one angry post. And what would I be angry about? No don't answer that - it will take me half a day to interpret your post.

You say you only mention your lifestye when the topic is relevant.

Wrong - your very first post on the MBTTUK forum said you weren't going back to the UK and you then proceeded to tell us all about your plastic lifestyle. You stuck out like a sore thumb by doing that.

Since then you have slated people who have got their citizenship, who are unhappy, who are returning home and who are asking about benefits. Amongst the slagging off you always mention how much you have, your homes, your maid, your riches - just in case we all forgot.

Now I cannot be bothered to talk to someone who can't be helpful to people. Although you have every right to post where you like I just do not understand why you come onto this part of the forum. Maybe you get a kick out of hitting people where it hurts. Who knows.

I don't like you and you don't like me so let's call it quits. You're boring me now.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

And you say i have a sad life ....................
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:43 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

We may well move back one day as we own a house there.......we are working abroad ...did not emigrate to greener pastures..and keep a house to be safe !!!!
I have never banged on about how much money we have as we are not rich LOL ......just careful and save just incase we need to return...as i would not assume after living and paying taxes in uk for over 40 yrs and is uk's job to support me when i decide i want to return!!!!!
i dont agree with all the handouts and i do believe if uk had been firmer with who it let in and gave handouts to it would not be in such a mess...
I also agree it shoule be hard to just return cap in hand ....maybe they could offer relocation loans etc,but where do you draw the lines in giving out money houses etc
As for citizenship post ,,,,,reading that the majority want to go home as they dilike it etc .....Why would you go back ???? because uk is not what you wanted really????so should you be given benefits then ???NO.....
FORUMS are for opinions and these are mine ....as i say we save for any crisis ...................hve a nice day......
I am impressed, you have been paying taxes in the UK for 40 years and yet you are only 46 - looks like you started contributing when you were 6. If we take away the 4 years you have lived in AD and the time you will have had to take off to give birth to 5 kids it's even more impressive - do you feel that you have contributed your "fair share" to the NHS for instance and should be covered when you return on holiday trips or permanently?

You mention all the handouts (& houses?) given to immigrants, can you tell me how much these add up to each year and how they compare to the money the UK spends on street sweeping or fighting in Iraq for instance?
Old Nov 19th 2008, 5:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I am impressed, you have been paying taxes in the UK for 40 years and yet you are only 46 - looks like you started contributing when you were 6. If we take away the 4 years you have lived in AD and the time you will have had to take off to give birth to 5 kids it's even more impressive - do you feel that you have contributed your "fair share" to the NHS for instance and should be covered when you return on holiday trips or permanently?

You mention all the handouts (& houses?) given to immigrants, can you tell me how much these add up to each year and how they compare to the money the UK spends on street sweeping or fighting in Iraq for instance?
I read the comment as once she returns to the UK after 40yrs away....and that she may well be paying UK tax on non-earned UK income.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:07 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
I read the comment as once she returns to the UK after 40yrs away....and that she may well be paying UK tax on non-earned UK income.
Could be, they are not always the clearest posts to comprehend.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 6:09 am
Account Closed

crystal23 is an unknown quantity at this point

Lobby Lou has missed the point of this totally.

People on this thread who are asking for help have lived in the UK, have paid taxes in the UK and are entitled to help from the UK (which has surprised them and me as well tbh). They are not people who expect something for nothing like chavvy scroungers with 12 kids who expect the state to look after them. LL is tarring everyone with the same brush.

I would bet that a huge amount of people here have been high wage earners in the UK and paid 40% tax. I did and so did my husband for a number of years and I would bet that the amount of child benefit, child tax credit and maternity pay which are the only benefit I ever got is nowhere near what I have actually paid in taking into account what else my taxes went on.

I do not expect the UK to pay me anything when I return, apart from child benefit which is a universal payment and I am entitled to, although apparently I am entitled to jobseekers allowance if I wish to apply for it. And I very much doubt as though I will bother.

However, if people are entitled to benefit I do not see why they should not be able to get to help initially. If LL thinks the system is wrong, it is the system she should be ranting at and not people.

I think we've established that none of us like bludgers, scroungers or whatever you wish to call people who do fleece the system and to slate posters who are entitled is not very nice IMHO of course

Last edited by crystal23; Nov 19th 2008 at 7:24 am.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 8:57 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

I could be wrong, but i get the feeling a lot of her posts are directed at myself on this subject. I also dont think she knows my enitre situation... not that i care

I'm not sure why she posted about people claiming beneifit abroad? Maybe she thinks I am still getting money

Anyway... whether you agree with people being eligable to money or not LL, I sincerely hope you never fall on hard times. Dont be so damn cock sure of yourself that you will never need someone elses help. You might just have to eat your own words one day.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
I totally agree. I'm a teacher, and yes I do type fast at times and make mistakes on here, but LL has atrocious spelling, grammar, and punctuation skills at best. Her posts give me a headache trying to figure out what she is talking about
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

My posts are not aimed at any one person
If you re read it was somebody else that first mentioned people abroad still claiming benefits
I know a few who got caught out here claiming child benefit still
As for hitting hard times ..... I split with my first husband, as he beat my two eldest sons up,fought him in court for 2 years to keep him away from us,won,went on holiday ,came back and he had sold our home ,so was single mum with 5 kiddies ..no home .....but survived....met a fantastic man ,fought depression very bad when my mother died .....so dont judge me, as i have been through some pretty tough times and it made me stronger
Old Nov 19th 2008, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Marmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond reputeMarmalade has a reputation beyond repute

If you re read it was somebody else that first mentioned people abroad still claiming benefits
As for hitting hard times ..... I split with my first husband, as he beat my two eldest sons up,fought him in court for 2 years to keep him away from us,won,went on holiday ,came back and he had sold our home ,so was single mum with 5 kiddies ..no home .....but survived....met a fantastic man ,fought depression very bad when my mother died .....so dont judge me, as i have been through some pretty tough times and it made me stronger
LL,
yes, you have survived some very rough times that's for sure, but please do not think you are the only one, as we all have our stories whether we share them or not on here. Please stop assuming things of others.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:57 pm
Democracy advocate

That doesn't sounds like a pleasant time with your ex husband, sorry to hear that. Often going through hard times improves ones empathy for others and makes one less judgemental on their problems.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 7:50 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
That doesn't sounds like a pleasant time with your ex husband, sorry to hear that. Often going through hard times improves ones empathy for others and makes one less judgemental on their problems.
My thoughts exactly..

LL, you must have been earning a huge amount of money if you were a single mother with 5 kids and didnt claim any benefits........ or did you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.