UK benefit entitlement

Old May 30th 2009, 2:42 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK benefit entitlement

Originally Posted by Clangers
Appreciate your efforts, and I am sure you ARE correct....however, I have had several friends return, and were not given any benefits (except the child allowance of course).
No worries... i think the best idea when going to claim is to take a print out of the relevant online pages explaining it just to cover yourself in case theres a numpty at the benefit centre.
Old May 30th 2009, 5:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Are you getting tired of this Bristol? I am

I'm sure people think you and i are telling porkies
Nah...what I really get tired of is that people still seem to be getting poor advice...from places where the advice should be better.

Appreciate your efforts, and I am sure you ARE correct....however, I have had several friends return, and were not given any benefits (except the child allowance of course).
Sometimes that would be the right decision...or at least understandable if someone left room for doubts about intentions. Other times the decision is just plain wrong but will only be corrected when challenged.

Indignantly protesting "but I'm British" as some people do just won't do the job. Not saying that happened with your friends but it's quite common.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

bucsbunny is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm glad I found this thread as I just returned to UK three months ago after 25 years in the States and have been going through the nightmare of trying to get benefits. There doesn't seem to be one rule. I applied for job seekers allowance and never heard a thing from them! When I finally got through I was told that I couldn't get anything until I had been resident 3 months. Unperturbed I wrote to them to object (got the address from job centre plus). Then I claimed again. Did the Habitual Residence test again. I was then asked to take my passport in, which I did. The second time I was approved but only from the date of my second claim, which was two months after my arrival. I am now going to chase them to pay me from my date of return. In the meantime I had applied for a crisis loan from the Social Fund and was approved for about GBP 250 to enable me to survive, a lifesaver.
Another really handy thing I found out about is that as you cannot get your prescriptions paid or your dental copayments until you show proof of JSA, I applied for an HC2 certificate and was approved. This enabled me to get all of those services free of charge whilst I was waiting for JSA. You can also claim for travel costs to the hospitals, so keep your receipts. I got my eyes tested and free glasses with this HC2.
I am not here to live off the government but addmittedly I made some bad decisions whilst overseas and I appreciate this hand up to get me back out to work. I have now got a job because I had the transport money to go to interviews - which I guess is the main reason they give JSA! I hope they will learn that Ex-Pats become ex-pats because we are go getters that went abroad to WORK! We are not the kind of people to return here to just sit around not working and living off the dole. Good luck to everyone and I hope you will keep us posted of your experiences.
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 11:28 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bucsbunny
There doesn't seem to be one rule. I applied for job seekers allowance and never heard a thing from them! When I finally got through I was told that I couldn't get anything until I had been resident 3 months...I claimed again. Did the Habitual Residence test again....The second time I was approved but only from the date of my second claim, which was two months after my arrival.
This is the crucial part. There is no "three month rule" but some staff do try to apply it.

The fact that they applied the test again but allowed it after two months shows the three month thing is not really a rule.

While the first claim was refused (and stayed that way) the new claim could only be paid from the new date.

Follow up on the first claim making an official appeal if necessary.

It sounds like you got a bit lucky with the crisis loan. Not having an entitlement to benefit (therefore no means to repay a loan) is usually a reason for refusal.

It might help to suggest that the crisis loan can be repaid out of the back payment. That could make it work more smoothly for you.

Glad to see you mentioned the HC2. I'd forgotten about those.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

When I got back I signed up with a temping agency, took the first job they offered (not brill but it was a job) and was immediately entitled to working/child tax credit, which was worth just over £120 per week - this help proved invaluable and made getting a permanent job much easier. JSA is a life line if you've got no other options, but don't discount low paid jobs either, because if you've got kids, working/child tax credit will increase your wage quite significantly.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:22 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Mary1967UK
When I got back I ....was immediately entitled to working/child tax credit, which was worth just over £120 per week - this help proved invaluable ....if you've got kids, working/child tax credit will increase your wage quite significantly.
Thanks for saying that. There's another thread on these forums greatly underestimating its value.
Old Jun 6th 2009, 5:32 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Thanks for saying that. There's another thread on these forums greatly underestimating its value.
You are so right - I think you can't underestimate the value of getting something for nothing.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

Everhopeful76 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: Loans for ex-pats

Originally Posted by mimidog
Hi all. Nice to find a forum of like minded people in similar position to us at last

Looks like our dream will be put on hold soon, as we need to move back to the UK for financial reasons (and because we have a 6 week old baby who'd like to meet his family)......

Have read other posts about NHS entitlement on return, but just wondered if anyone had info on benefit entitlement? Not intending to go back and live off of benefits, but would like to know if we'll be immediately entitled to things like child benefit. Not having much luck finding this stuff out on the net
Hi - i am a British National looking for a way to finance studies starting this year but due to the fact that i lived in France for 6 years - and have now been back for just over 2 years (ie - not yet the 3 needed) i am having difficulties getting a student loan. Can anyone give me advice on how ex-pats returning to the UK can get financial help and especially relating to funding studies? DOes anyone know of any banks who help ex-pats? I have been looking for info all over but as yet haven't managed to find anything out. Thanks very much.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:54 am
Oscar nominated

It'll depend on the course but colleges will do discounted rates for people on JSA.

Also, if on JSA, various one off payments might be talked out of a personal advisor. They have various funding sources to call on.

If you're talking only about Uni I can't think of anything.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:37 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Did they claim? did they have a record of sufficient payments into the system, seems odd, when newly arrived immigrants from other countries can get all sorts of benefits that they can't