Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK banks to stop access to funds

UK banks to stop access to funds

Old Oct 14th 2017, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK banks to stop access to funds

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Problem solved then. If you're living in the US, and the bank knows you're living in the US, then there's no way you can be an illegal immigrant living in the UK
UK banks now ask specifically if you are a USC.
I have accounts in the UK and Ireland and have recently had to confirm that I am not a USC.
This is because they are now required to send relevant details to the IRS.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 1:33 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
UK banks now ask specifically if you are a USC.
I have accounts in the UK and Ireland and have recently had to confirm that I am not a USC.
This is because they are now required to send relevant details to the IRS.
Trump was supposed to ending FATCA. That doesn't look like it's going to happen now.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 2:22 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Trump was supposed to ending FATCA. That doesn't look like it's going to happen now.
He was also going to 'make America great again'. Doesn't look like that's going to happen either.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 3:04 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

He was also going to 'make America great again'. Doesn't look like that's going to happen either.
Ending FATCA was a slightly more tangible benefit.
Old Oct 14th 2017, 10:40 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Ending FATCA was a slightly more tangible benefit.
Yes. I couldn't help myself, had to get the gratuitous Trump remark in
Old Oct 16th 2017, 9:57 am
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
The first £1000 of interest is tax free for all UK residents.
The amount of tax free savings income depends on your income tax rate. Higher rate get 500, additional rate gets 0.
Also, it is possible that the tax free interest applies to non-residents too, if you are eligable for
Personal allowance then you get the personal savings allowance too.
Old Oct 16th 2017, 12:54 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Hard to say what Trump will bring. Some halfway decent late-night TV, then thermonuclear war? Something like that.
Old May 8th 2018, 1:06 pm
Just Joined

pkennedy1990 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't know about that. That too? At the moment my problem lately seems to be PayPal keeps freezing my account just because I'm in Mexico. I'm bloody well "verified" back at home and everything. I even somehow managed to (after having to change my password three times per week the past month just to log-in because their computers detect that mine is in Mexico even THROUGH the VPN's I use...) put my old passport number in, (photocopy from the stolen one) (NI# is already in there). When I finally do log-in the account says there's like £96 even though my brother sent £350 and I've not been able to touch it...then it won't let me transfer any amount whatsoever out into my other debit cards on the account that are not blocking me from using them, not pay for anything using it; every Mexican ATM machine prints me out a ticket saying there's $0 in it (in pesos, of course)...etc.

So I thought the system was just about keeping British/Irish citizens from accessing our own money if we happen to be abroad!! Actually that problem is not HSBC itself but PayPal.

Funny all those years in Canada and the US this NEVER. HAPPENED. Just since I got to Mexico lately!!!
Old May 10th 2018, 2:17 am
Forum Regular

sayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond reputesayang has a reputation beyond repute

Presumably Paypal has been used for money laundering to/ from Mexico, and has been told to stop it