Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Which UK banks do you recommend?

Which UK banks do you recommend?

Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:04 pm
Just Joined

brithampton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which UK banks do you recommend?

We are hoping to move back to UK this summer. We are long-time customers of Natwest (over 30 years, since before we were students). They are being very "computer says no" about the most minor thing and its infuriating. As soon as we are able to, I'm thinking we should switch .... just wondered which Banks get the best reviews at the moment? Does anyone have an opinion?
thanks!
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:08 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which UK banks do you recommend?

Originally Posted by brithampton
We are hoping to move back to UK this summer. We are long-time customers of Natwest (over 30 years, since before we were students). They are being very "computer says no" about the most minor thing and its infuriating. As soon as we are able to, I'm thinking we should switch .... just wondered which Banks get the best reviews at the moment? Does anyone have an opinion?
thanks!
I'm with 'Halifax' good internet banking, pain in the arse if you want to change address as you can only do it in a branch. Wife is with HSBC, again good internet access, both have good security when using. HSBC does allow address to be changed on line.
Have no experience of any others
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your situation and needs... can you pass a credit check? do you need an overdraft facility? (I don't need to know the answers to these, they are just factors which can affect things).

Here is a good roundup of best buy bank accounts... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...-bank-accounts

I have been reading quite a bit recently about the best buys for paying interest when in credit - Nationwide have just launched one with an introductory offer of 5% for 12 months up to a max balance of £2500. That is better than you can get on a Cash ISA
Old Mar 14th 2013, 5:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

FYI, Santander consistently gets the worst customer complaints.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

manny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nicemanny1980 is just really nice

Most likely small banks like Co-operative or Post-Office are more likely to be reliable than bigger banks like Lloyds, RBS, Clydesdale et al. Also look into credit-unions but ensure they are all covered by Financial Services Authority, which protects your money max. 85GBP in case banks go bust.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
Depends on your situation and needs... can you pass a credit check? do you need an overdraft facility? (I don't need to know the answers to these, they are just factors which can affect things).

Here is a good roundup of best buy bank accounts... http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ban...-bank-accounts

I have been reading quite a bit recently about the best buys for paying interest when in credit - Nationwide have just launched one with an introductory offer of 5% for 12 months up to a max balance of £2500. That is better than you can get on a Cash ISA
- but there's a minimum monthly payment in, or some such?

5% of £2,500 isn't much (£125) ... I'd be more impressed if it was up to £25,000 ... what is the interest above £2,500 (hah - just checked and it's 0%!!!)? Have to read the small print.

So you have to pay in £1,000 every month, but only get interest on £2,500 ...

I read an article recently uncovering all of these somewhat disingenuous fantastic offers by banks - they all come with strings attached or fiddly conditions, or fixed terms (like this one - 12 moonths). they count on people being too busy to keep track so they don't switch in 12 months and then are switched to a miniscule standard rate. I realised about 18 months ago that my Barclays ISAs had all reverted to about 0.01%. Tricky barstewards.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
- but there's a minimum monthly payment in, or some such?

5% of £2,500 isn't much (£125) ... I'd be more impressed if it was up to £25,000 ... what is the interest above £2,500 (hah - just checked and it's 0%!!!)? Have to read the small print.

So you have to pay in £1,000 every month, but only get interest on £2,500 ...

I read an article recently uncovering all of these somewhat disingenuous fantastic offers by banks - they all come with strings attached or fiddly conditions, or fixed terms (like this one - 12 moonths). they count on people being too busy to keep track so they don't switch in 12 months and then are switched to a miniscule standard rate. I realised about 18 months ago that my Barclays ISAs had all reverted to about 0.01%. Tricky barstewards.
Yes, but that 5% for one year is still better than you could get in a Cash ISA - as they day, diarise and switch in 12 months....

Yes, you have to pay in £1000 per month, but it does not have to stay there... if you read some of the threads on MSE about bank accounts what people do is effectively bounce the same money around various of these interest paying accounts in order to meet the qualifying criteria - seems to be quite an art
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:49 pm
Ping-ponger

Yes, but that 5% for one year is still better than you could get in a Cash ISA - as they day, diarise and switch in 12 months....

Yes, you have to pay in £1000 per month, but it does not have to stay there... if you read some of the threads on MSE about bank accounts what people do is effectively bounce the same money around various of these interest paying accounts in order to meet the qualifying criteria - seems to be quite an art
I'm afraid I belong to the "Couldn't be arsed" or more accurately, don't have the bloody time brigade, which is what I think they depend on.

Martin "the money man" has lots of useful tips but you really have to be on your toes to do a lot of them.
Old Mar 14th 2013, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dunroving
I'm afraid I belong to the "Couldn't be arsed" or more accurately, don't have the bloody time brigade, which is what I think they depend on.

Martin "the money man" has lots of useful tips but you really have to be on your toes to do a lot of them.
Oh, for sure

Although, as I say to my son - it's very hard to find a way to save £1000, but it is easy to find 1000 ways to save £1
Old Mar 14th 2013, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

We've had Barclays for ever, but they are also very much "computer says no" on numerous requests due to us living abroad.
HSBC on the other hand (who we've only had for a couple of years) have been incredibly helpful and rarely say no to anything when we ask either online or on the phone
Old Mar 15th 2013, 12:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethK
We've had Barclays for ever, but they are also very much "computer says no" on numerous requests due to us living abroad.
HSBC on the other hand (who we've only had for a couple of years) have been incredibly helpful and rarely say no to anything when we ask either online or on the phone
I had narrowed down to either Barclays or HSBC after reading all the posts on the subject over the last 6 months. Barclays because they have a relationship with Bank of America, and apparently if you open a BOA account they will organize a Barclays one for you and transfer money there whenever you want at no cost. We plan on keeping a US account open for social security deposits, etc. Do you think HSBC would be a better option in your opinion?
Old Mar 15th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Originally Posted by perthhomeschool
I had narrowed down to either Barclays or HSBC after reading all the posts on the subject over the last 6 months. Barclays because they have a relationship with Bank of America, and apparently if you open a BOA account they will organize a Barclays one for you and transfer money there whenever you want at no cost. We plan on keeping a US account open for social security deposits, etc. Do you think HSBC would be a better option in your opinion?
Yes, I do. We've been very happy with HSBC in the few years we've had an account with them unlike Barclays who, although we've been with them for 30+ years seem a little more resistant to helping us when we wanted to open a separate account for rental deposits from tenants in UK. HSBC had no problem opening it despite our USA residency
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

First direct (part of hsbc) are fab. Nice helpful uk call centre, constantly win awards for customer service & i have no complaints.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pomster
First direct (part of hsbc) are fab. Nice helpful uk call centre, constantly win awards for customer service & i have no complaints.
Yes, they are the top best buy - you also get £100 for opening an account with them

For it to be free, you need to pay in £1000 per month and switch a couple of direct debits/standing orders. Otherwise it costs £10 a month. Actually, another way to avoid the charge is to open a savings account with first direct as well.

ETA - should also mention they are phone/internet only (no branches) which I suppose might not suit everyone...

Last edited by rebs; Mar 15th 2013 at 11:49 am.
Old Mar 15th 2013, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Perth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond reputePerth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, they are the top best buy - you also get £100 for opening an account with them

For it to be free, you need to pay in £1000 per month and switch a couple of direct debits/standing orders. Otherwise it costs £10 a month. Actually, another way to avoid the charge is to open a savings account with first direct as well.

ETA - should also mention they are phone/internet only (no branches) which I suppose might not suit everyone...
Could you open with them from the US, or would it have to be with the regular HSBC here?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.