UK Bank Account

Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:44 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default UK Bank Account

I know this subject has been covered in here before but i cant find the threads.

I remember someone saying they managed to get a very basic account just to put their salary into and pay bills without having to have a UK credit history. In fact i think one person went into a brach and just opened the account over the counter. So far i have tried Halifax and Nationwide without success.
Because i am staying with my daughter temporarily, i do not have any utility bills in my name. The only thing i have got so far is my car insurance documents, but it says on most applications you need 2 forms of bills or statements showing you living at your address on top of your passport

Can anyone help?
Old Sep 11th 2007, 12:25 pm
Life is more than a dream

LouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseD has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Bank Account

Hi Flea

Try Lloyds TSB. My daughter had the same problem when we returned and trecked around all the banks and building societies. Lloyds offered her a basic current account, I think with just her passport.

Good luck
Old Sep 11th 2007, 4:38 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by LouiseD
Hi Flea

Try Lloyds TSB. My daughter had the same problem when we returned and trecked around all the banks and building societies. Lloyds offered her a basic current account, I think with just her passport.

Good luck
I second Lloyds - my Hubs was able to open an account with them before we'd even moved over.

Try and get an appointment with a branch manager rather than with someone at the customer services desk though.
Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:28 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people leaving the UK also look at this part of BE so I would recommend that they keep a UK bank account open.

Both our bank and Mastercard were happy enough to accept an overseas address. I used our Mastercard in Canada for the first few months here as I had to wait for our Canadian Visa card application to be accepted (had to put down a $5000 deposit for 12 months on a $5000 limit though ).

We will continue to dabble a bit from time to time with our UK accounts online so that they are kept open. I still have money coming over from the UK so it's very handy to keep funds there and wait for good exchange rates before transferring our money.

Must be really frustrating to have to prove yourself all over again in your home country. :curse: Pity all these companies don't keep electronic records for quite a few years, but then life is never that simple, is it? .
Old Sep 11th 2007, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

gt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nicegt94sss2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
I remember someone saying they managed to get a very basic account just to put their salary into and pay bills without having to have a UK credit history. In fact i think one person went into a brach and just opened the account over the counter. So far i have tried Halifax and Nationwide without success.

Can anyone help?
It sounds as if what you want is called a 'Basic Bank Account'.

The FSA publishes a booklet about them and I would try one of the providers they list.

The one thing to note is that make sure that when you go into a branch, that they put you forward for a 'basic account' and not a full current account which some branches (particularly Nationwide) seem to do and then reject you..

The FSA also have a booklet on proving your identity...

Regards
Sunil
Old Sep 11th 2007, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

joetrac will become famous soon enoughjoetrac will become famous soon enough

Hi Im an ex LTSB manager and you will still need address confirmation for a basic bank account. If you can be traced on the voters roll you will not be required to provide it but in your case having been out the country so long this would not be possible.

LTSB will allow a sutiable account holder to introduce you if you do not have any Address documentation so if you know anyone who banks with them them ask them to go along.

PS Customer service officers will know more about account opening than any Manager ..believe me !!
Old Sep 12th 2007, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

SeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really niceSeaninOzalready is just really nice

Interesting thread.

My advice to all is to keep an account open in the UK before moving as even if you are going for good, it is always handy to have an address in another country. I have accounts in 5 countries and have no desire to close them down- it just offers options to you long term..

I can empathise with the whole UK banking system as when arriving there 6 years ago, I was told that due to terrorism laws I could not just present my passport and get an account. I only managed one after 4 months. Personally I think it is a shambles- that and the NI number fiasco (only got that sorted after being in job for 6 months).

Good luck folks..