Wikiposts

UK Auto Insurance

Old Sep 1st 2018, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

sillius soddus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default UK Auto Insurance

Hello Guys.

We are moving back Mid October from Canada. We will be in the North East.

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company or broker over there ?

We have a good clean driving history and will be taking our driving abstract back showing this.

Just need to find a company that can roll with this .....

Thx in advance

Mick
Old Sep 1st 2018, 11:32 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK Auto Insurance

Originally Posted by sillius soddus
Hello Guys.

We are moving back Mid October from Canada. We will be in the North East.

Can anyone recommend a good insurance company or broker over there ?

We have a good clean driving history and will be taking our driving abstract back showing this.

Just need to find a company that can roll with this .....

Thx in advance

Mick
We found it difficult to find an insurance company who'd honour our no claims discount, but someone here recommended Aviva so I rang them and they applied the maximum discount. I liked their customer service too so subsequently did all my insurances with them.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 3:07 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
We found it difficult to find an insurance company who'd honour our no claims discount, but someone here recommended Aviva so I rang them and they applied the maximum discount. I liked their customer service too so subsequently did all my insurances with them.
Another vote for Aviva. Check with them on the wording needed on the letter and hang on to your last insurance certificate because when my son, from the USA, applied for insurance with them last year completely online, he downloaded the no-claims letter plus a copy of his last certificate and got full no-claims discount with them. Other insurance companies offer similar but you need to check the list of countries they will honour no-claims letters. For example I initially was going to sign up with Churchill, after going through Comparethemarket.com, but in their long list of countries, the USA was not listed. You may find Canada to be more acceptable to more insurance countries than just Aviva.

ETA
His former insurance company in the USA, GEICO, was very good in supplying him with a PDF of a no claims letter including the wording Aviva required.

Last edited by durham_lad; Sep 3rd 2018 at 3:09 am.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 4:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Another Aviva vote. They respected our Canadian no-claims record and have a policy option which covers up to 180 days a year in Europe,which we need. The premium was a bit high in the initial year because I still had an ON driving license, but halved in year two after I revived my GB license.

This year, while in France, our car got considerably damaged while it was parked on a street. Aviva got on it straight away through their overseas dept and covered the 2800 euro repair bill, then later when the paperwork completed they returned my £200 deductible and confirmed our NCB remains intact.

ETA: to the OP, we live in Newcastle when we're not in France, where are you headed?
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 4:12 am
Just Joined

sillius soddus is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Guys.

I've just spoken to Aviva UK to figure out what we need.

Take care.

Mick
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 6:28 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sillius soddus
Thanks Guys.

I've just spoken to Aviva UK to figure out what we need.

Take care.

Mick
No worries Mick - by the way, love your user name
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 4:56 pm
Forum Regular

minhan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Another vote for Aviva. Check with them on the wording needed on the letter and hang on to your last insurance certificate because when my son, from the USA, applied for insurance with them last year completely online, he downloaded the no-claims letter plus a copy of his last certificate and got full no-claims discount with them. Other insurance companies offer similar but you need to check the list of countries they will honour no-claims letters. For example I initially was going to sign up with Churchill, after going through Comparethemarket.com, but in their long list of countries, the USA was not listed. You may find Canada to be more acceptable to more insurance countries than just Aviva.

ETA
His former insurance company in the USA, GEICO, was very good in supplying him with a PDF of a no claims letter including the wording Aviva required.

hi, we are looking for car insurance too, currently renting using our US driving license. Would you please share what sort of wordings that Aviva needs? We lived in the US for 4 years, had State Farm and got many type of discounts from them including no-claims.

I will try to see whether they would provide a letter so that I can try to apply for Aviva.

thank you so much.
Old Sep 3rd 2018, 10:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by minhan

hi, we are looking for car insurance too, currently renting using our US driving license. Would you please share what sort of wordings that Aviva needs? We lived in the US for 4 years, had State Farm and got many type of discounts from them including no-claims.

I will try to see whether they would provide a letter so that I can try to apply for Aviva.

thank you so much.
I am currently out of the house for a while and on my phone. The wording was on the Aviva website for car insurance. I’ll have a look when I get back. You can also call them for details
Old Sep 4th 2018, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by durham_lad

I am currently out of the house for a while and on my phone. The wording was on the Aviva website for car insurance. I’ll have a look when I get back. You can also call them for details

i just asked the question on the Aviva website “chat bot” and received the following information. It also provides a link to where said letter can be uploaded to.

This can be your renewal invitation or a letter from your previous insurer and should include the below:
  • Be on official company headed paper
  • Be in the main driver’s name
  • Show the vehicle details
  • Confirm the number of years the ncd was built up over
  • Show the date the policy expired

Last edited by durham_lad; Sep 4th 2018 at 12:48 am.