UK aint so bad!

Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: UK aint so bad!

Originally Posted by northernbird
I would agree with that too, although I don't have teenage kids my australian friends are always amazed at how peachy my skin is.
Peachy
I find Aussie woman look at my skin and say how young and freckle free it is. Because they live here they get freckly and quite wrinkly too soon and they hate it.
I don't want to be going back to the UK like an old leather boot do I!!
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:17 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Peachy
I find Aussie woman look at my skin and say how young and freckle free it is. Because they live here they get freckly and quite wrinkly too soon and they hate it.
I don't want to be going back to the UK like an old leather boot do I!!
their word rach, not mine.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:19 am
Account Closed

OK Peachy bum
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:44 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

are you sure they don't mean you need to shave the fluff??
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:49 am

ShozInOz is an unknown quantity at this point

you are right but I think if you are sensible and slip slop slap your risks are drastically reduced.
Or cover up more in the first place.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:52 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by toandfro
are you sure they don't mean you need to shave the fluff??
my daughter needs models to wax on
Old Jan 19th 2007, 7:58 am
beam me up scotty

toandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond reputetoandfro has a reputation beyond repute

not my legs
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:09 am
Living the nightmare

Dizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to allDizzillusioned is a name known to all

Can I help
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:11 am

[QUOTE=Jessie James;4300097]
Originally Posted by ShozInOz
I'm surprised you're so surprised...in a way.

I'm surprised too only in that an article I read recently called "An interview with....Steve, now back in the UK" which I think was written by you guys late last year seemed to suggest you were back to stay for a while and were really settled and had found all those things you were lacking in Oz. That's a pretty quick turn around! Could it be a severe case of winter blues or do you think you're over the initial excitement of being back or is the weather really that restrictive?! I took a lot of comfort from that article....!!
The article is still all true, except the weather was different different then. The weather is a big issue for us - partly being restrictive but more so the dark, grey, low cloud that has an almost direct affect on our moods. It's as much about the light than the elements. And now we have had more chance to experience the UK from new parents' viewpoint, and it's not so simple. I said in that article you mention that we were happy here now and didn't know if we'd return, but predicted no time too soon. Well that was true, and still is - we don't know anything for sure, just a feeling and an emerging plan. I also said that we'd consider italy, france, or spain. Those are still possibilities, and would be first choice except we'd need to learn the language (written, verbal, non-verbal) to native-level for our jobs, and that is a big call. Note in an earlier post and article (6 weeks back in the UK) I also said that the social climate in the UK was a big worry, even 6 weeks after arriving. That concern remains. The rest in the articles remains so too - I think the UK is a more interesting country, and if you are not affected by winter so much, then the climate can be better. But livability is another matter. I disagree with 'chance to be' to an extent in that, yes, as people we are all basically selfish, but that extends to our children (the selfish gene...). I honestly do believe that children in the UK have less opportunity to be happy, and just seem less happy. Again just a feeling from observations.

Also interesting looking back is my 'summing up' from my article '6 weeks back...':
So did we make the right decision? Yes - certainly. We have a lot to see and do back in the UK and Europe that we could never have done had we settled forever in Australia. Will we stay here forever? Probably not. Would we return to Australia? Possibly. Essentially I think we are wanderers. I can quite see us trying more than one other country in our lifetime, though now we have to consider schooling, it is more complicated. The one thing that would drive us away from the UK in the future - the only thing - is the social climate in the UK. If the social climate became worse, then we would leave the UK again in a few years, once we'd done what we came back to do, personally and professionally. It is such a serious consideration for us that we would forego all the benefits above for a feeling of living in a secure, safe, friendly environment.

Again, we'd be here for at least 2.5 years - as long as we were in Aus. Possibly longer, but were have to think of schools. We may decide to stay 'permanently' after getting through next summer and when our toddler is more transportable. Who knows?

As I have said all along, both are great countries. It just depends how the pros and cons stack up. As a childless couple, for us they stacked up in this direction and we returned. Now for us with a child, we are not so sure. Remember also that a lot of people thinking of returning to Aus probably do not post their thoughts on here. There are many.

Last edited by ShozInOz; Jan 19th 2007 at 8:27 am.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Jessie James
Yeah, I'm trying not to be too fearful of the concept of ping-ponging as one thing I have learnt through this experience is that thinking of anything in terms of 'forever' is pretty unhelpful. But it's the speed in which some change their minds again that scares the s*** out of me! Big moves are not something that can happen overnight - they take months / years of planning and the thought of taking the time to do that only to realise it's still not right and so start the whole process again seems a very depressing existence and one that I'd prefer to avoid!
Remember it is different for everyone. For instance our little un is not at school yet, and we always get relocation expenses. That changes things. I know one Aussie who loves grey skies and loved living in the UK. We know another who came here for a 6 weeks break and returned after 2 days for the same reason! Many who return stay and are happy. Some are not. The current time of year has a lot to do with how we feel right now (though not the only reason). Our moods have always been somewhat at the mercy of the seasons, but this is more marked since spending so much time without a UK winter. It may not affect you at all.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 8:26 am
beam me up scotty

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
If l was in the Uk l would also be worried and bees and wasps because they kill as many people in the UK as are killed by snakes in OZ .
are you allergic to bee stings, if not then you don't need to worry
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:30 am
BE Forum Addict

ladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond reputeladylisa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont get this UK grey sky nonsense. I'm looking out the window right now at 10.30am and its sunny outside. I walk my dog every morning and its great. I think some people are grey in their outlook at this time of year. A bit of rain never hurt anyone for god sake.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:33 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Dizzillusioned
Can I help
would you like her to wax your meat and sausage
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

I would agree with that too, although I don't have teenage kids my australian friends are always amazed at how peachy my skin is.
That's so true I had so many Aussie women commenting on how good my skin was.Until now I really did not think I had good skin but I am beginning to see why.
Old Jan 19th 2007, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ladylisa
I dont get this UK grey sky nonsense. I'm looking out the window right now at 10.30am and its sunny outside. I walk my dog every morning and its great. I think some people are grey in their outlook at this time of year. A bit of rain never hurt anyone for god sake.
I used to live in the highest village in Yorkshire, every morning i could smell the fresh air, green fields.
Of course now and then it was foggy, but never felt like dullsville where i was.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.