UK - 2021

Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:02 am
Just Joined

Matt1972 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wink UK - 2021

My wife and I have had an amazing 15 years in NZ and have a great circle of friends.

Now friends are friends and family is family, so what is more important ?. Both our parents are getting older and our children all live in the UK and we now have, or soon will have grand children. The pull going back to the UK is even stronger. Now, we understand people are going to say you are bloody crazy to go back during this pandemic and whats happening around the world, we know its going to be very big decision !.
I would like to hear from anybody who is going through the same situation and also anyone who knows what the job situation is like at present.
I work in the automotive trade as a technical training manager for a automotive paint company and my wife works in office/admin. Our family is spread over the UK from Cambridge, Maidstone and Somerset.

Any help or advice is most welcome.

Old Aug 17th 2020, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

j4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond reputej4v3d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: UK - 2021

The job market at the moment is not looking healthy at the moment. The country went into a recession. The effects of COVID19 are still going on and it will take some time for things to get back to some sort of normality but it will be a while.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 2:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Matt1972
My wife and I have had an amazing 15 years in NZ and have a great circle of friends.

Now friends are friends and family is family, so what is more important ?. Both our parents are getting older and our children all live in the UK and we now have, or soon will have grand children. The pull going back to the UK is even stronger. Now, we understand people are going to say you are bloody crazy to go back during this pandemic and whats happening around the world, we know its going to be very big decision !.
I would like to hear from anybody who is going through the same situation and also anyone who knows what the job situation is like at present.
I work in the automotive trade as a technical training manager for a automotive paint company and my wife works in office/admin. Our family is spread over the UK from Cambridge, Maidstone and Somerset.

Any help or advice is most welcome.
Hi, You can always apply on indeed and see what comes up , Family and friends I knoeaknow are all very busy with work (various types of trades) and I do not know of anyone who has been made redundant during this time, Somerset, Cambridge are all very nice counties and would be easier for you to settle in (after NZ) than say the larger city sprawls and busyness that comes with them. I have to say though if your happy and settled in NZ why not stay.? . thatat would be a lot to give up especially if your children may move in the future or move overseas...just a thought. Good luck with everything.
Old Aug 18th 2020, 9:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a job, stay where you are.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 11:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

We're planning to head back sometime in 2021 after a great 10 years in Australia, similar reasons to yourself.

This may well co-inside with semi-retirement (we're in our early 50's) or I may go for a transfer with my employer who are a large multinational software company. Fortunately there's a plenty of work available in my job.

Planning is difficult as there are so many unknowns right now but we've sold our Australian property and should be mortgage-free when we return.

I just found out we may be hit with extra stamp-duty which is a pain, see separate post.

Another concern is bringing our (large, spoiled) hound back!

Last edited by freebo; Aug 21st 2020 at 11:53 pm.
Old Aug 26th 2020, 8:53 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freebo
We're planning to head back sometime in 2021 after a great 10 years in Australia, similar reasons to yourself.

This may well co-inside with semi-retirement (we're in our early 50's) or I may go for a transfer with my employer who are a large multinational software company. Fortunately there's a plenty of work available in my job.

Planning is difficult as there are so many unknowns right now but we've sold our Australian property and should be mortgage-free when we return.

I just found out we may be hit with extra stamp-duty which is a pain, see separate post.

Another concern is bringing our (large, spoiled) hound back!
Hi, hope your well and good? In some ways your luckier than most who are returning ie no desperate need fincially wise to find a job, you can buy a home and not worry about a mortgage...sometimes these are huge factors when people decide whether migrating elsewhere will work out for the best, of course money is not everything but it certainly helps. There have been many people who have migrated with beloved pets (all shapes and sizes and types) and have been fine, just choose (if you are still planning on migrating) a pet company who have experience of transporting larger animals and check their references to out your mind at ease. Any other queries and worries just ask....there are plenty of lovely people on this site with a wealth of knowledge between them who can hopefully elevate your concerns. Good luck with your decision.
Old Dec 19th 2020, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Paisley is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Freebo, I have just joined this site, very helpful. We have been living in Australia for 30 years and are planning to retire in the UK in 2021. Just a quick question, why do you have to pay extra stamp-duty? is this relating to UK?
Old Dec 20th 2020, 2:35 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paisley
Hi Freebo, I have just joined this site, very helpful. We have been living in Australia for 30 years and are planning to retire in the UK in 2021. Just a quick question, why do you have to pay extra stamp-duty? is this relating to UK?
From memory, there is currently a stamp duty holiday in the UK, ends 1st April 2021, but if you're an overseas purchaser you're not entitled to it, however if you move to the UK within 2 years of buying the house (during the Stamp Duty Free period) you can reclaim it.

As I said, that's my recollection however it no longer apples to me as we won't be moving back in 2021, now looking more like 2022/2023.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 5:34 am
Just Joined

Paisley is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh I see. We won’t be moving back until COVID is under control. Who knows when that will be. We are originally from North England but are hoping to relocate to Devon. Any information about Devon would be most welcoming 😊
Old Dec 20th 2020, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh I see. We won’t be moving back until COVID is under control. Who knows when that will be. We are originally from North England but are hoping to relocate to Devon. Any information about Devon would be most welcoming 😊
I’m interested in Devon too. Mumsnet is a mine of useful information on different locations but the focus is definitely on families and so far I’ve haven’t managed to find an equivalent for old codgers contemplating moving. A gap in the market perhaps?
Old Dec 20th 2020, 8:42 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

it’s a nightmare. Can’t find rental nor purchase accommodation for love nor money. We are stuck in an Airbnb - the housing market has gone crazy. People buying sight unseen and renting sight unseen, and offering above the 20+% higher than pre COVID asking prices.we had to relocate as husband lost his job, but we can’t find anywhere to live 😢
lovely part of the Uk, but full of Airbnb and second homers; housing is a real issue.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Good grief! Thanks for the warning.
I was reading something recently about the likelihood of a worsening shortage of private rental housing in the UK in general but hadn’t realized it was already a reality in Devon.
I have a little house in Northern Ireland so maybe if the tenants move out at some point in the future I’ll use it myself. At least to start with.
Best of luck - I hope your own housing situation improves soon.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 1:07 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Rightmove is probably the most comprehensive site to see available rentals in Devon https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/Devon.html
Old Dec 20th 2020, 7:41 pm
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Good grief! Thanks for the warning.
I was reading something recently about the likelihood of a worsening shortage of private rental housing in the UK in general but hadn’t realized it was already a reality in Devon.
I have a little house in Northern Ireland so maybe if the tenants move out at some point in the future I’ll use it myself. At least to start with.
Best of luck - I hope your own housing situation improves soon.
thanks! Yes, only available stuff are like the “4 bed room cottage, no pets no children no sharers” 🙄🤦🏻‍♀️ or out in the middle of nowhere..... and by that I mean places where the road may have a 60 limit, but even 40 feels fast 🤣

it’s really bad with lots of tier4 escapees. We went for a walk today along one of the main beaches in the north.... all the houses were guest houses, empty (2nd homes most likely) or Airbnb houses. It’s depressing. There’s no proper community in the small villages anymore.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 1:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Hope you people get to relocate to Devon.I lived there in Paignton & Exeter many years ago.Just remember ,if you were not born there you will always be a "grockle"!Really nice county,I´m from Hampshire but have lived all over England & Scotland.In January I shall complete on the sale of my property here in Spain & hope to head back to Scotland.For me,being very pro-European,I do not want to live in England.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.