Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

UK `Caution` being debated..what will the effects be.

UK `Caution` being debated..what will the effects be.

Old Feb 11th 2001, 8:32 pm
IceC

Hi All,

I have a caution for cannabis possession which I got when I was 19 years old. I am now 23.
At the time of the caution I was glad that i was given a second chance via a formal
warning by the police.

However over the last 18 months I have been in contact with a lovely American woman and I
am wanting to go and visit her.

I am abit worried about telling the immigration people about my caution. Because i've put
my past behind me and I'm not looking forward to having to face it again. So, I would like
to avoid it if possible..but I will not lie about not having one to officials.

Over the recent weeks I have been very interested in what the Home Secretary, Jack Straw
has had to say about the subject of cautions.

Below is the link from a national newspaper reporting on the issue...note the part about
not having to declare a caution to either emplorer or immigration officials. It would
normally be a declaration because a caution does not show up on a UK Police report.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/UK...is080201.shtml

Old Feb 11th 2001, 8:59 pm
Grinch

> Hi All,

> the part about not having to declare a caution to either emplorer or immigration
> officials. It would normally be a declaration because a
caution
> does not show up on a UK Police report.
> http://www.independent.co.uk/news/UK/Politics/2001-
02/cannabis080201.shtml

Very interesting link. If it was me and the caution did not appear on the UK Police Report
I would not tell anyone about it. I believe a caution is what it says, a warning, not a
conviction and so therefore should not be declared to anyone. I am glad that Idiot Jack
Straw thinks the same. He is still a fool BTW.

Grinch