Wikiposts

TV Rant

Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

killerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud ofkillerhales has much to be proud of
Default TV Rant

I guess this has been done before, but what is it with the main Oz TV channels?

1) Shows deliberately start and finish late (I assume to screw up the IQ and try and make you watch the ads)

2) Old shows are shown in the middle of runs of current shows (eg NCIS)

3) Series (like Flashforward and Fringe) come and go, get moved to different time slots or even different channels, or simply disappear, or reappear with as little publicity as possible so you miss them.

I know I should watch less TV than I do, so maybe this is the Oz way of forcing me outdoors.

This drives me and my OH nuts!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Officer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond reputeOfficer Dibble has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: TV Rant

Originally Posted by killerhales

1) Shows deliberately start and finish late (I assume to screw up the IQ and try and make you watch the ads)

3) Series (like Flashforward and Fringe) come and go, get moved to different time slots or even different channels, or simply disappear, or reappear with as little publicity as possible so you miss them.

I know I should watch less TV than I do, so maybe this is the Oz way of forcing me outdoors.

Someone will be along surely to tell you that this post is in the wrong forum. Tut tut!

Back to the TV rant: Its the constant stream of ads that do my head in.
Old Apr 21st 2010, 5:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Someone will be along surely to tell you that this post is in the wrong forum. Tut tut!

Back to the TV rant: Its the constant stream of ads that do my head in.
TV ads do my head in and constant repeats in the middle of new series urrrrrgggggghhhhh. I've lost count how many times hubby and I sit down having briefly looked at the guide only to say. Of I've seen this one!!!!
Old Apr 21st 2010, 11:07 pm
Just Joined

gaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nicegaga is just really nice

OMG don't get me started! ACA and Today Tonight drive me nuts! AND they both have exactly the same stories everynight.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:32 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

This all happens in North America too. Havng had reruns this week, next new ones are due around 5th May!!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:46 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
This all happens in North America too. Havng had reruns this week, next new ones are due around 5th May!!
I agree, I thought you were talking Canadian tely for a min, it's crap the way they do their scheduling and they never seem to advertise when the new shows start so when you actually find it on your 500 channels, they are showing a repeat from last season so you think it's all gonna be reruns and then you end up missing the whole new season - in my case Greys Anatomy - HAH! at least I know it will be repeated over the summer
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 1:55 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I figure its done to boost DVD sales
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

You could always try living without a tv. I was amazed at the improvement in communication between household members when the tv was nicked. I lived without one for three months. Now I use it to watch 1 or 2 shows a week, when I remember
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:19 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I thought you were talking Canadian tely for a min, it's crap the way they do their scheduling and they never seem to advertise when the new shows start...
I was going to say 'Canadian' but what happens with things like CSI/NCIS suddenly showing repeats during a "new" season happens on the USA channels too...so I just called it North America.

And when they do advertise a new episode, sometimes it's not.
The onscreen channel guide is often wrong too. My wife checks it in the morning and will say "CSI looks like a new one tonight, the caption doesn't sound familiar" and then it won't be the one described by the caption. It's very much hit and miss.

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
You could always try living without a tv.
But there's nothing wrong in having a little TV viewing in the home.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:32 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
I

But there's nothing wrong in having a little TV viewing in the home.
I just hate paying $50+ a month cable for the few things I bother with watching... but I cant get the footy at the weekend without cable

Id gladly ditch it if it werent for that, House, the discovery channel and the stuff the wife likes... which we record and zoom through the ads...its the only way to remain sane.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 22nd 2010 at 3:34 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 2:36 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you were living in the US till I got to the end.
All pet peeves here too. TV sucks!
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:08 am
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by iaink
I just hate paying $50+ a month cable for the few things I bother with watching... but I cant get the footy at the weekend without cable
I remember it was the same in England though...couldn't get the footie or movie channels without taking the other dross first.

At least it's good value here. Setanta $15 compared to £18 for sky sports I think?

Be nice to get a bit of Rugby League like we used to though.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 3:27 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Here in Canada, I have over 200 TV channels and wonder why. Even the movie channels pump out constant repeats of Gladiator, Forest Gump, Goodfellows, The Patriot, etc. Some of them were good once. I suppose they take into account the average intelligence of the viewing audience when they do this? We still use a VCR to capture the good stuff which is usually on in the non-peak hours.

Last edited by johnh009; Apr 22nd 2010 at 3:30 am.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
TV ads do my head in and constant repeats in the middle of new series urrrrrgggggghhhhh. I've lost count how many times hubby and I sit down having briefly looked at the guide only to say. Of I've seen this one!!!!
LOL our first weekend here in Perth many years ago now and without foxtel etc (was not available then) we watched our first Saturday night movie on t.v (thank the gods it was not AFL season at the time)....I think after 3 hours we gave up and went to bed..and I think the movie was only just half way through..lol..never again....no wonder so many people here live at Civic and Video Eazy....when I first drove past one of those stores I was so suprised by how busy they were...and full of people of all ages....I thought..."not me"....well I am a fully paid up member...lol....nowadays....AND we are not really t.v people....
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Ciderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud ofCiderman has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johnh009
Here in Canada, I have over 200 TV channels and wonder why. Even the movie channels pump out constant repeats of Gladiator, Forest Gump, Goodfellows, The Patriot, etc. Some of them were good once. I suppose they take into account the average intelligence of the viewing audience when they do this? We still use a VCR to capture the good stuff which is usually on in the non-peak hours.
Found the same thing when we lived in BC and Alberta loads of channels but not much to watch. Why is it they show the same program at the same time Mon-Fri? No wonder there's so many repeats. Been back in the UK since Christmas and have to say that FreeView and FreeSat are pretty good considering the amount of channels and the quality of the TV programming seems better- no narrators shouting all the way through documentaries.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.