Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Trying to move back from Mexico, is transiting through USA an option?

Trying to move back from Mexico, is transiting through USA an option?

Old May 17th 2021, 11:28 pm
Just Joined

mxuk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trying to move back from Mexico, is transiting through USA an option?

Hello!

I’m posting about my boyfriend’s current situation as we are overwhelmed with information and keep finding bumps in every one of our options.

My boyfriend is a UK citizen that has lived with me in Mexico (Tijuana) for 3 years. He is trying to find the most effective way to go back home, here are the options.
​​​​​​
  1. Cross USA border by land and fly out of LAX on a direct flight. Our family in California is able to pick him up at the border and he can quarantine with them if necessary. No layovers, 2 stops total to UK. His ESTA expired and we don’t know if this option is possible or if he would be allowed into the US under any circumstance, also no information on border crossing as it’s closed to Mexican citizens since March 2020.
  2. Fly into US from Mexico and then direct flight to UK. No clue if he’d be allowed into the US or would be able to even apply for an ESTA.
  3. Fly Tijuana - Mexico City - Cancun - Lisbon - London. 5 airports total and takes over 24 hours of travel. This is a reasonably priced option but it’s unclear if he needs a negative test from Mexico AND Portugal as he would only be in Portugal for a 2 hour layover.
  4. Fly Tijuana - Mexico City - London. Less stops. Mostexpensive option. This requires borrowing money from different family members and it’s money that would be better spent back in the UK.

ETA: The Portugal option was the only we could find as other flights had layovers in the US or red listed countries.

We appreciate and insight!
Old May 18th 2021, 1:09 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to move back from Mexico, is transiting through USA an option?

Originally Posted by mxuk
Hello!

I’m posting about my boyfriend’s current situation as we are overwhelmed with information and keep finding bumps in every one of our options.

My boyfriend is a UK citizen that has lived with me in Mexico (Tijuana) for 3 years. He is trying to find the most effective way to go back home, here are the options.
​​​​​​
  1. Cross USA border by land and fly out of LAX on a direct flight. Our family in California is able to pick him up at the border and he can quarantine with them if necessary. No layovers, 2 stops total to UK. His ESTA expired and we don’t know if this option is possible or if he would be allowed into the US under any circumstance, also no information on border crossing as it’s closed to Mexican citizens since March 2020.
  2. Fly into US from Mexico and then direct flight to UK. No clue if he’d be allowed into the US or would be able to even apply for an ESTA.
  3. Fly Tijuana - Mexico City - Cancun - Lisbon - London. 5 airports total and takes over 24 hours of travel. This is a reasonably priced option but it’s unclear if he needs a negative test from Mexico AND Portugal as he would only be in Portugal for a 2 hour layover.
  4. Fly Tijuana - Mexico City - London. Less stops. Mostexpensive option. This requires borrowing money from different family members and it’s money that would be better spent back in the UK.

ETA: The Portugal option was the only we could find as other flights had layovers in the US or red listed countries.

We appreciate and insight!

No doubt someone will be along with more expertise, but to my knowledge you cannot even transit through a US airport, which is US soil, without a visa or visa waiver (Esta). I'm not sure that he can even apply for Esta since he has not been a resident of his Esta eligible country (UK) for three years.

https://esta-center.com/en/vwp/index.html#vwp2

Your far and away easiest option looks like your most expensive, flying out of Mexico City to London. Don't know about Portugal requirements. I wouldn't have thought he would need a second test since he would be within the time validity margin of his Mexican test, but best to be certain. Perhaps somebody else will know.

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control...and-transiting

¡Buena suerte!
Old May 19th 2021, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trying to move back from Mexico, is transiting through USA an option?

You need to check if an ESTA is valid to cross a land border into the USA.
My understanding is that an ESTA is not valid between Canada and the USA - don't know if that applies only to land border or if it includes air transport.
That is actually covered in the 1st link posted by L in W above.
Old May 19th 2021, 3:23 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
You need to check if an ESTA is valid to cross a land border into the USA.
My understanding is that an ESTA is not valid between Canada and the USA - don't know if that applies only to land border or if it includes air transport.
That is actually covered in the 1st link posted by L in W above.

Interesting, I had forgotten about that land border distinction.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Artic...0travel%20only.

So in normal times, it looks as though a UK citizen could cross just on the I94, theoretically (ie if the border offices approves it).

However, these are not normal times. Covid means that crossings by people who are not US citizens and who do not fit the "must travel" profile are not allowed to cross at all - until May 21, but who knows if that restriction will remain or not.

https://mx.usembassy.gov/travel-rest...ns-fact-sheet/