Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Truck driving kiwi partner, what area to settle in and are we too old?

Truck driving kiwi partner, what area to settle in and are we too old?

Old Jun 18th 2019, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Truck driving kiwi partner, what area to settle in and are we too old?

I am a British/Australian citizen with dual passports. Planning to go back to the UK to live, taking my kiwi man back with me. In the process of spouse visa paperwork at present (what a mission)
  1. He is a heavy truck driver Class 5 here in NZ, it's called an HGV 1 license I think in the U.K. with all endorsements (dangerous goods, etc) and a young 58-year-old
  2. I am a Jill of all trades, mainly Veterinary, and weigh in at a young 55 years old
  3. We are used to a very quiet, boring NZ lifestyle living in Kaiteriteri on the South Island (that's driving me insane) and want more LIFE/entertainment/pubs/fun/dog walking/kayaking areas, BUT don't want too much of a culture shock for my Kiwi man .......I have thought about Yorkshire, I have a best friend there and used to work in Harrogate, but we'd prefer to live in a quiet area near the sea if possible, maybe Scarborough? My father was from Fyvie above Aberdeen so Scotland is a goer, Stonehaven? SO many choices! (I hear that the East coast is dryer than the West coast)
  4. Driving up to an hour to work is no problem, we do that now.
  5. We're not millionaires so it needs to be a modest priced area for renting a house with a garden and parking. We currently live in a Caravan and we love it! We will be bringing 2 x Fox Terriers and our cat with us too.
I think this is a tall order, but I'm working on it.
Do you think we're 'pushing shit uphill' and expecting too much? Maybe we should just die of boredom gracefully.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.

Last edited by Gypsy888; Jun 18th 2019 at 2:46 am.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 5:00 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Truck driving kiwi partner, what area to settle in and are we too old?

The issue will be visa. You will need to sponsor him for a spouse visa. There are two routes to apply for this. One is cash savings of £63500 held in you account for the last 12 months. The other is via income. You have to show you have earned at least £18600 per year for the last year and have a employment contract commencing within three months of arrival paying at least £18600 per year.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Truck driving kiwi partner, what area to settle in and are we too old?

Verystormy ... thank you, I do work full--time in NZ and have always earned over £20,000 so that should work out ok 🙂 I don't plan on retiring for another 20yrs...couldn't afford to in NZ!
Old Jun 18th 2019, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck with your move. You should find plenty of affordable housing on the N York’s coast and areas a little inland.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Verystormy ... thank you, I do work full--time in NZ and have always earned over £20,000 so that should work out ok 🙂 I don't plan on retiring for another 20yrs...couldn't afford to in NZ!

You must though also have a job offer in the UK.

With regard areas, Stonehaven is nice, but very expensive as Aberdeen generally is.

Yorkshire is more affordable (except Harrogate)

A good option that I think meets what you are looking for is Whit,years Bay and its surrounds.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by verystormy

A good option that I think meets what you are looking for is Whit,years Bay and its surrounds.
Whit what Bat??? BAY

Last edited by Gypsy888; Jun 19th 2019 at 4:59 am.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 7:10 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

At 58 years old you can tame a tiger. Go for your dreams and goals!
Old Jun 19th 2019, 7:12 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Whit what Bat??? BAY
Whitby & Robin Hood’s Bay? Both beautiful seaside towns north of Scarborough
Old Jun 19th 2019, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
At 58 years old you can tame a tiger. Go for your dreams and goals!
Yes!!! That's the spirit!! Thanks for your inspiration
Originally Posted by durham_lad

Whitby & Robin Hood’s Bay? Both beautiful seaside towns north of Scarborough
Thank you, I've been looking on Google Earth...I thought it might have been Whitby. Have seen some nice rural rentals through 'Savilles' around there too Wonder if they're anything to do with Jimmy Saville???
Old Jun 19th 2019, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you, I've been looking on Google Earth...I thought it might have been Whitby. Have seen some nice rural rentals through 'Savilles' around there too Wonder if they're anything to do with Jimmy Saville???
Savills the Estate Agents was founded in 1855 and the name is spelled different to Jimmy Saville.

Whitby is only 20 miles from where we live and we go there often. In Brahm Stoker’s Dracula it is where he first came ashore.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a British/Australian citizen with dual passports. Planning to go back to the UK to live, taking my kiwi man back with me. In the process of spouse visa paperwork at present (what a mission)
  1. He is a heavy truck driver Class 5 here in NZ, it's called an HGV 1 license I think in the U.K. with all endorsements (dangerous goods, etc) and a young 58-year-old
  2. I am a Jill of all trades, mainly Veterinary, and weigh in at a young 55 years old
  3. We are used to a very quiet, boring NZ lifestyle living in Kaiteriteri on the South Island (that's driving me insane) and want more LIFE/entertainment/pubs/fun/dog walking/kayaking areas, BUT don't want too much of a culture shock for my Kiwi man .......I have thought about Yorkshire, I have a best friend there and used to work in Harrogate, but we'd prefer to live in a quiet area near the sea if possible, maybe Scarborough? My father was from Fyvie above Aberdeen so Scotland is a goer, Stonehaven? SO many choices! (I hear that the East coast is dryer than the West coast)
  4. Driving up to an hour to work is no problem, we do that now.
  5. We're not millionaires so it needs to be a modest priced area for renting a house with a garden and parking. We currently live in a Caravan and we love it! We will be bringing 2 x Fox Terriers and our cat with us too.
I think this is a tall order, but I'm working on it.
Do you think we're 'pushing shit uphill' and expecting too much? Maybe we should just die of boredom gracefully.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated, thank you.
I know most Brits never consider it but Republic of Ireland is certainly an option for people wanting the boring NZ life with a bit more action. Of course NI is also Britain but I do find the Republic has better career options, especially with all the Brexit talks and then loads of options for kayaking but renting is probably better in the UK, as we have a lot of rental shortages.

Last edited by Moses2013; Jun 19th 2019 at 2:24 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by durham_lad
Good luck with your move. You should find plenty of affordable housing on the N York’s coast and areas a little inland.
Thank you, I'm now thinking this may be better than NE Scottish coast as far as weather goes. Also some more rural rentals found N York 🙂