Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Trip back to the UK - Driving on a UK license

Trip back to the UK - Driving on a UK license

Old Nov 5th 2019, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Trip back to the UK - Driving on a UK license

Couldnt find anything on search (either within BE or using Google), but apologies if this has been covered before.

I moved to the USA a few months ago and have not yet obtained a US driving license. A family member has just passed away and I need to return next week - would I be able to drive in the UK using my UK license? It still still has my previous address information on unfortunately as Gov.uk suggests it is not possible to change license address when moving abroad, so obviously I didn't do this. I'm assuming it is probably not legal, but wondered if anybody had any actual experience or could cite any sources?

I would either add temporary insurance to a parent's car or look to rent a car myself, so need to also think about insurance coverage and rental policies as well.

I understand I probably could get away with it and I know many people who do this, but I'm keen to understand if it is legal or not.

TYIA
Old Nov 5th 2019, 8:46 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip back to the UK - Driving on a UK license

No, it’s not legal.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 1:51 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

If it was me, I’d take a train or coach to the locale - then be ferried around town by family & friends. I certainly wouldn’t drive.
Old Nov 6th 2019, 3:35 pm
Forum Regular

samills610 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you, had assumed the case but hoped somebody may correct me. Looks like I'll be making use of family and taxis/public transport then
Old Nov 7th 2019, 7:15 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by samills610
Thank you, had assumed the case but hoped somebody may correct me. Looks like I'll be making use of family and taxis/public transport then
Good decision. As you said in your opening post, some people probably do it and get away with it. But if any of those people are involved in an accident or picked up for even a minor traffic offence, they'll be up the proverbial creek without a toothpick, let alone a paddle.