Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Trip advice - US to UK in Summer

Trip advice - US to UK in Summer

Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:29 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Trip advice - US to UK in Summer

I am not sure if should have posted here but here we go.. Brit living Arizona trying to find airfares for visit to UK during late July to August. I am restricted currently as to when I can go as I am in school and only have about 4 weeks break in summer. I know August is high season but wondered if anyone has ideas on ways to find airfares that are around 1K including all taxes. I have tried the airline websites directly and stuff like travelzoo, kayak, sidestep, expedia - you name it. I am likely not going to be able to book for around 1K but wondered if others had travelled from West coast of US to UK during the high season. Thanks..
Old Mar 30th 2010, 12:55 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Trip advice - US to UK in Summer

Going to/from where. So far this year in my life of wishful thinking. I've been fare watching and cheapest I'm finding from San Francisco to Manchester is about $1300 I haven't looked in a week.
I usually check Expedia and Travelocity then go directly to the website of the airline I fancy.
You can get to Dublin pretty cheaply if you are on the east coast, and don't mind getting on the Ferry.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 1:18 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
I am not sure if should have posted here but here we go.. Brit living Arizona trying to find airfares for visit to UK during late July to August. I am restricted currently as to when I can go as I am in school and only have about 4 weeks break in summer. I know August is high season but wondered if anyone has ideas on ways to find airfares that are around 1K including all taxes. I have tried the airline websites directly and stuff like travelzoo, kayak, sidestep, expedia - you name it. I am likely not going to be able to book for around 1K but wondered if others had travelled from West coast of US to UK during the high season. Thanks..
Just for fun, I looked at http://www.aa.com and could find fares from Phoenix to LHR return (via DFW) for about $1300, around that time period.

Do you have a valid US passport?
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:09 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ, yes have dual citizenship. MummyinFoothills was hoping you would respond. I am sorry home is north of England - Preston so figure going from Phx to Manchester via wherever. I never thought of going into Dublin and this trip I have considered a visit to Ireland so will look at that option. I would love to do BA as it goes direct from Phx to London but fare not best and can't guarantee buggers won't go on strike again..
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:30 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

JAJ, yes have dual citizenship. MummyinFoothills was hoping you would respond. I am sorry home is north of England - Preston so figure going from Phx to Manchester via wherever. I never thought of going into Dublin and this trip I have considered a visit to Ireland so will look at that option. I would love to do BA as it goes direct from Phx to London but fare not best and can't guarantee buggers won't go on strike again..
From what I hear, Cindy, our resident travel agent, often manages to find good deals for unusual itineraries.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 2:48 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

American Airlines fly into Dublin out of Chicago, as do Delta out of Atlanta and possibly New York. You could probably find connecting flights from Phoenix.
Old Mar 30th 2010, 3:32 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: Trip advice - US to UK in Summer

I am in school and only have about 4 weeks break in summer.
Not sure if that means you are a student or a teacher/lecturer......but do check out the student travel agency STA Travel - they operate in the UK, US and many other countries. They can get lower fares for students and people working in education (they don't just cater to students either, they can get air tickets etc. for anyone):

http://www.statravel.com/

Also Aer Lingus flies out of JFK, Chicago O'Hare, Boston and Washington Dulles:

http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obe...iseHomepage.do

Summer Specials: http://www.aerlingus.com/cgi-bin/obe...D=0&Category=3

Good Luck!
Old Mar 30th 2010, 4:30 am
BE Forum Addict

englishmum thanks STAtravel has ticket for under $1100 on Delta/KLM which is pretty good. thanks for the info...