Reload this Page >

Travelling to the UK with pets?

Wikiposts

Travelling to the UK with pets?

Old May 5th 2013, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough
Arrow Travelling to the UK with pets?

A couple of weeks ago I was stuck and had no idea where to start and if your thinking about going back home to the UK but along your journeys you have gained loving pets I'm sure you will want to bring them back with you.

So I figured would get a basic post together for people who are or will be in a similar position flying from Canada to the UK.

Im travelling with 2 cats and here's what my process was:

1: DO research, especially within in the airline you are choosing to fly with.

Originally I chose airline *A but they quoted me over $5000 so I chose airline *B who was under $2000 however we was still going to fly with airline A (cats on serperate flights ) as it worked out cheaper but then chose airline *A again as they quoted me wrong and now we can fly all together, under $3000!

2: Each airline will have different regulations and specifications, be sure to get that in writing whether its from their website or email when contacting the airline so you know for sure what your looking around for in regards to kennels, times, procedures etc...

Both of the airlines I was looking into had different rules and regulations and procedures.

3: Create a calender for yourself so you will be able to refer back to it with what you are going to first, second and then its a step by step process you can follow.

4: Research again to make sure you understand what is needed in regards to the pets vaccinations, time lines, bookings and most of all what is required from the UK boarder.

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

6: Buy a CORRECT kennel - ''IATA approved'' doesn't technically mean your airline will accept the kennel for travel - it must meet their specific requirments. Buy well in advance so your pet can get used to it and make it feel like home.

I made both the cats a bed out of their favourite blankets we had around the house and an old pillow - We now can't get them out of their kennels!

5: As your travelling from Canada to the UK we are classed as a NON-EU LISTED COUNTRY - which means we DONT have to get a blood test for our pets and dont have a 3 month waiting period, just 21 days after the requirements!

6: Book a trip to the vets who can assist in what you need (for dog owners I believe its a little different as they have to go through a tapeworm vaccination) be sure you vet understands your needs as a traveller and if necessary print of information so they can read it from the government!

Remember, micro chipping has to be done FIRST then the rabies vacination!

My vet nearly did it wrong even after me requesting the microchip first, pay attention or you will have to redo the whole process which won't be very nice for your pets nor your wallet!

In total our vet trip cost, which included all vacinations, shots, rabies and one microchip under $400 - The guy was great and provided us with all necessary proof/certificates of shots and vacinations

7: Understand which health certificates you need and what other paperwork you need - it gets very confusing indeed so just take your time in reading, you don't want to arrive at the airport with the wrong information.

8: 10 days prior to flying you must have your international health certificate and your EU third country certificate (annexII) signed and completed by a government approved vet - you can go to your local CFIA (Food inspection agency) and they will help you out. The charge is $20. You must request a reference number to be added on the certificate so it can be traced back to the qualifying endorser.

9: DONT arrive at the cargo drop off until you have received confirmation from your alrline to do so. This can cause delays, confusion and avoidable expences. Be sure to make copies for yourself when flying of your documents/paperwork and the correct paperwork to hand over to cargo. Another tip: the international health certificate has to travel with the pet.

10: The airline you have chosen will hopefully of sorted out arrival arrangements back in the UK with a private agent (we're using james cargo and that was all included with our booking with the airline to fly the cats) be sure to check when you book as there could be unexpected charges are around 800GPB when you land and this can be avoided with correct planning.

I hope i've shred some light for some people. It does seem so overwhelming when you start out but when things start rolling into place its a big relief.

Wish all you guys luck and be safe with your travels, if I've missed anything out I'll try to inform you of what I have found out if you ask!

Links:

https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1321200339614
Old May 6th 2013, 2:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice
Default Re: Travelling to the UK with pets?

Thanks for the info, I've read tons of posts on here and been in touch with a company that deals with transporting pets, but still the whole thing scares the sh*t out of me as it seems sooooo confusing
Old May 6th 2013, 2:24 pm
Forum Regular

jkgoulds will become famous soon enoughjkgoulds will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Travelling to the UK with pets?

Sure is confusing, so much information and people tell you different from something you read or heard somewhere else. *face palm*

Lets all just hope they arrive safely, happy without any hiccups!