Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Travelling with pet on air transat

Travelling with pet on air transat

Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Travelling with pet on air transat

Originally Posted by NOC
Hi Jane

Would you mind letting me know if you all flew together or did your dogs go with Air Canada? I have been speaking with Karen from Boomerang and I thought she said they use Air Canada?
We are leaving Calgary too the end of may with our dog, id prefer to go via air transat if I could as its cheaper, but can you tell me did she just help you book with air transat or do all the transport services she offers. We were quoted $2000 to bring back our "small" dog, i just think its a bit high!

Id appreciate any feedback you could give me Jane, cheers Nicola
Really wow, that is a lot, what about Air transit? I would love to know what you find out cos I am leaving Calgary as well.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Hi
I am dealing with Worldwide Animal Travel to bring back the furry kids (3 medium sized dogs). They have offices in Vancouver and Calgary.

They have recommended Air Canada and I quote ...

Toronto is the main airport and hub for Air Canada . This means that they have a top of the line facility, do not use a third party handling company, and also have an AVI room. The AVI room is a quiet place where the pets can wait in peaceful setting before they are taken to board the flight. The other cargo offices will require the pets to wait in the busy cargo warehouse which can be very stressful and noisy

They have quoted me $4250 from Thunder Bay to Heathrow using Air Canada. They will have someone meet the animals off the flight and book them for the Toronto to Heathrow leg. They have to have separate tickets as Thunder Bay to Heathrow is not an approved route for DEFRA purposes.

The price includes countersigning of the vetinerary papework by a licensed Government vet and complimentary stay in kennels in Toronto if needed.

I hope this information is helpful - moving the animals is the most stressful aspect for me.
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 3:24 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Moggiemiss
Hi
I am dealing with Worldwide Animal Travel to bring back the furry kids (3 medium sized dogs). They have offices in Vancouver and Calgary.

They have recommended Air Canada and I quote ...

Toronto is the main airport and hub for Air Canada . This means that they have a top of the line facility, do not use a third party handling company, and also have an AVI room. The AVI room is a quiet place where the pets can wait in peaceful setting before they are taken to board the flight. The other cargo offices will require the pets to wait in the busy cargo warehouse which can be very stressful and noisy

They have quoted me $4250 from Thunder Bay to Heathrow using Air Canada. They will have someone meet the animals off the flight and book them for the Toronto to Heathrow leg. They have to have separate tickets as Thunder Bay to Heathrow is not an approved route for DEFRA purposes.

The price includes countersigning of the vetinerary papework by a licensed Government vet and complimentary stay in kennels in Toronto if needed.

I hope this information is helpful - moving the animals is the most stressful aspect for me.
Have to agree Moggiemiss on the 'busy cargo warehouse.....' with other cargo offices (ours was SwissAir cargo) OUr cat flew Air Transat coming to Toronto from Manchester and he was in the busiest warehouse I have ever seen with stacker trucks whizzing up and down. Scared the living daylights out of him. Unfortunately he is having to do the same again next month back to the UK!?!?!
Old Mar 22nd 2012, 4:42 pm
NOC
Just Joined

NOC is an unknown quantity at this point

Ya that's some useful info I might look into that instead. As much as it is expensive, I want to make this journey as peaceful as possible if thats even possible! Boomerang pet courier also only use air Canada as she said they provide the best transport for our pets.
I contacted air transat cargo and they did confirm we have to book through pet agent as we are flying into the uk. I'm hoping Jane will get back to me about boomerang as I have heard good feedback about them. Wish I could just fly in cabin bk to the uk the way I flew out but that's never gona happen!!
Old Mar 26th 2012, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

peng is an unknown quantity at this point

All, I have read through your posts and there its lots of good info on here.

Here is the information i have found.
Flying from the UK to Canada
Air Canada- Pets can travel as excess baggae ~£150 excluding summer months (June - September) and December - Feb. At these times you have to use an private agent though cargo~£1000+ The ban is for hot weather and for busy planes. It actually says its depedent on where you are flying too but still.

Most other airlines only let them go as cargo through an agent,
Air Transat- you can bring the anmals as exccess baggage all year round or as freight and they let you do the freight route directly.

Flying from Canda to UK
You have to use an agent to fly animals into the uk as it has to go through an x-ray machine when it lands and only pets though agents can use it or some such nosense- i beleieb it run by one of the agents ...hence the rule.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Moggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to allMoggiemiss is a name known to all

Just to clarify, my understanding is that if you are travelling animals from Canada to the UK, in order to avoid quarantine, these are the requirements
  1. Animals must travel on an approved route with approved carriers (DEFRA has a list of approved routes and carriers)
  2. They must travel cargo
  3. Cats and Dogs must be microchipped, then have had the rabies vaccine at least 3 weeks before travelling and must have a tapeworm treatment containing a specified product, administered by a vet.
  4. This information has to be documented, signed by your own vet and then countersigined by a licensed Government vetinarian.
  5. You also have to complete a C5 customs form.

You do not necessarily have to book using a pet transportation company, but some airlines do insist on this.

The DEFRA website is comprehensive in providing information and I also recommend checking out James Cargo Animal Centre (Heathrow) website for information.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 9:25 pm
NOC
Just Joined

Just an update, I contacted Air Canada and it will cost $686 (air canada fees) and $546 (james cargo fees) to bring my small dog back from calgary to london. So il save about $600 by doing it myself rather than by using a pet carrier. Il have to make sure the paper work is all in order of course, something the pet carrier would have organised, but she has her eu pet passport and the rest is easy enough to sort out.

The guy I spoke with from Air Canada was really helpful and explained how she will be in a comfort area/warm room prior to travel. So she wont be around all the fork lifts etc. Also she will be in a temp controled van when being brought to the plane and incase of any delays.

They explained everything pretty well to me so we are going to go this route and make arrangements with them for travel.
Old Mar 26th 2012, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by NOC
Just an update, I contacted Air Canada and it will cost $686 (air canada fees) and $546 (james cargo fees) to bring my small dog back from calgary to london. So il save about $600 by doing it myself rather than by using a pet carrier. Il have to make sure the paper work is all in order of course, something the pet carrier would have organised, but she has her eu pet passport and the rest is easy enough to sort out.

The guy I spoke with from Air Canada was really helpful and explained how she will be in a comfort area/warm room prior to travel. So she wont be around all the fork lifts etc. Also she will be in a temp controled van when being brought to the plane and incase of any delays.

They explained everything pretty well to me so we are going to go this route and make arrangements with them for travel.
I will be going Calgary - London as well, so that is approx $1200 does that include the GST?

A stupid question I know? do I contact James Cargo or Air Canada to make arrangements?
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:04 am
NOC
Just Joined

Including I would think but I'm not too sure, they didn't say. You can only book a max of 30 days in advance with air Canada. Once you call they will book in your pet but you don't pay until the day the pet flies as they weigh the kennel etc.
You pay air canada and that includes James cargo fee.

Last edited by NOC; Mar 27th 2012 at 1:07 am.
Old Mar 27th 2012, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

I would book it all myself but as I have to book separate flights from Thunder Bay to Toronto and then Toronto to Heathrow it is complicated for me. They have to be colleted in TO and then checked in for international flight to Heathrow. Air Canada will only book 2 animals per flight from TB to TO so my three little ones will not be able to travel together on that part of the trip. Worldwide Animal Travel will organise everything.

Ruthy Peters at Worldwide Animal Travel has been superb. She is so friendly and helpful; from the off, I have felt like she is a friend. It is worth paying for their services as far as I am concerned.

If you can travel your pets on an approved DEFRA route, then there is no reason why you cannot organise it yourself - there is plenty of info on the DEFRA website to assist.

But for me, travelling 3 animals from North western Ontario, it is really helping to take the stress out of it.