Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Travelling with dual passports

Travelling with dual passports

Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:49 pm
Just Joined

jamesnyc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travelling with dual passports

I'm a new UK/US dual citizen, and next month I'll be travelling with my US passport for the first time to the UK. Any advice on how I should handle immigration / customs on either side? Should I show my UK passport once I get to Heathrow and then my US passport when I get back to NYC? My gut tells me that's asking for trouble in terms of having a record of where you've been etc.......

Anyone have any experience on this issue? Anyone ever had problems?

Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:54 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travelling with dual passports

Originally Posted by jamesnyc
I'm a new UK/US dual citizen, and next month I'll be travelling with my US passport for the first time to the UK. Any advice on how I should handle immigration / customs on either side? Should I show my UK passport once I get to Heathrow and then my US passport when I get back to NYC? My gut tells me that's asking for trouble in terms of having a record of where you've been etc.......

Thanks!
It's very common to be a dual citizen and travel using 2 passports (my husband does it, although not UK). It's never been an issue at all.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks!
I use my US PP to leave and enter the US. I use my UK PP to enter the UK but I use my US PP to leave the UK.

I think most dualies on here do the same.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I use my US PP to leave and enter the US. I use my UK PP to enter the UK but I use my US PP to leave the UK.

I have a Polish friend who does the same (with his Polish passport, obviously). I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 6:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

My gut tells me that's asking for trouble in terms of having a record of where you've been etc.......
If you are worrying about reentering the US with US passport that doesn't have any entry and/or exit stamps from any other countries in it - don't worry because it isn't an issue.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:01 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Some of us have got so fed up with the price and delay, we've given up with the UK PP.

Of course, if you've got both on you and the lines for Johnny Foreigner are looking long and you're gagging for a smoke, use the UK one. Otherwise, the US one is just fine for the whole trip.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a Polish friend who does the same (with his Polish passport, obviously). I'll give it a shot. Thanks!
My hubby leaves the USA using his US passport (but shows his Iranian passport to show why he doesn't need a visa in the US passport). He enters Iran using his Iranian passport. When he leaves Iran, he shows both passports again (to show why he doesn't need a visa to the USA). Upon entry to the USA, he shows his US passport.

Rene
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Some of us have got so fed up with the price and delay, we've given up with the UK PP.

Of course, if you've got both on you and the lines for Johnny Foreigner are looking long and you're gagging for a smoke, use the UK one. Otherwise, the US one is just fine for the whole trip.
Good advice!
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:02 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I will never give up with my UK PP.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:04 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I will never give up with my UK PP.
I haven't given mine up. Keep meaning to renew it but I can't be arsed at the moment, and I'm never in the UK long enough to do an application there.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

I haven't given mine up. Keep meaning to renew it but I can't be arsed at the moment, and I'm never in the UK long enough to do an application there.
You can renew from the States - cost me about $70 to do mine a couple of years ago I think. Pricey, but not extortionate.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:08 pm
Septicity

You can renew from the States - cost me about $70 to do mine a couple of years ago I think. Pricey, but not extortionate.
It's costing something ridiculous at the moment and they're taking forever and a week. Piss up in a brewery and all that.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 7:16 pm
Septicity

Went to look it up. $223 bucks and (from threads in this board) a 3-month or more wait at this time. Britain's obviously gone to the dogs.
Old Jun 22nd 2011, 8:10 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Britain's obviously gone to the dogs.
Alert the media.

Last edited by meauxna; Jun 22nd 2011 at 9:55 pm.
Old Jun 23rd 2011, 1:44 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Thats what we do too.