Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Traveling to the UK with cremains

Traveling to the UK with cremains

Old Jan 24th 2017, 2:59 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Traveling to the UK with cremains

Does anyone have experience with this?

I have checked the requisite government websites and it doesn't appear to be terribly difficult. Knowing the UK bureaucracy, I had thought I might need a permit or something. But it appears not.

I have read websites of the airlines I am likely to buy a ticket from, and there doesn't appear to be any insurmountable hurdles. I need a copy of the death certificate and a certificate from the crematory certifying that the container contains human remains. Already have those.

So at this point I am just wondering if anyone has recently made the journey themselves, and if it is truly no more complicated than what research indicates. Obviously, this is something I don't want to have go wrong at a port of entry.

Thanks in advance.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 7:31 pm
Just Joined

mcleodfamily is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Traveling to the UK with cremains

I flew in 2010 from Canada to the Glasgow with ashes. We didn't have any issues at the airport leaving they just took a swab around the urn to test and as far as i am aware there were no issues arriving into Glasgow.

We did bring the death certificate and a letter from the funeral home

We also did not purchase a separate ticket or seat from them the box the urn was in fit underneath the seat

Last edited by mcleodfamily; Jan 24th 2017 at 7:34 pm.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 8:14 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you, mcleodfamily. That's reassuring.

I won't be flying with an urn. I had the ashes "split" when I made the arrangements. One half are inside a clock in our living room. The half I will transport to the UK are in a black plastic box, probably 8 by 8 inches square.
Old Jan 24th 2017, 9:30 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebeccajo
Thank you, mcleodfamily. That's reassuring.

I won't be flying with an urn. I had the ashes "split" when I made the arrangements. One half are inside a clock in our living room. The half I will transport to the UK are in a black plastic box, probably 8 by 8 inches square.
So long as the box can be x rayed it's ok. Check with the airline whether they allow the ashes to be on board or if they have to be in checked luggage.

I brought my son's ashes to Canada from Australia in October and had no problems at all
Old Jan 25th 2017, 1:39 pm
WhiteRabbit

Oh Dorothy, I'm sorry about your son. I'm sorry you're able to help me with an answer.

*hugs to you*
Old Jan 26th 2017, 7:50 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

I brought my fathers ashes back last year NZ to UK with no issues. Were in hand luggage, i did have the death certificate but no one asked/questionned me at all. Flew Air New Zealand via LAX to LHR. Should be fine.
Old Jan 26th 2017, 1:21 pm
WhiteRabbit

Thank you, sparkleydiva.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 6:25 pm
WhiteRabbit

My son and I returned from Northern Ireland on July 14th.

I thought I should let everyone know that I had no problems whatsoever carrying my husband's ashes from the US to the UK. If for nothing other than helping someone in the future who might run a search for the topic.

His ashes were in a temporary acrylic receptacle that I carried in a leather tote as hand luggage. It passed through security at the outgoing US airport with no issues. No one at that airport even asked to see documentation. The bag was taken aside and gone over with the "magic wand" that US airport security uses. But the agent was very respectful and kind.

We managed to get turned around in the airport in Edinburgh, and ended up having to put the box through UK scanning and security. Not a single question and not put through any secondary scanning.

I did carry a death certificate and a certificate of human cremains. But as I already mentioned, no one ever asked to see them. Not even the undertaker in the UK who arranged for burial of the ashes. I would however recommend that should you find yourself in this situation, have the documents on hand. You just never know.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I am sure that will help someone in a similar situation. How are you doing though? The last few years have been tough for you. Hope you are as well as can be expected.
Old Jul 26th 2017, 10:27 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

So very sorry to read about this journey, Rebeccajo.

I too hope you're doing OK. Please take care of yourself....
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:33 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by michali
I am sure that will help someone in a similar situation. How are you doing though? The last few years have been tough for you. Hope you are as well as can be expected.
Thanks for asking. It all comes and goes, you know? The mood.

We were fortunate to be able to arrange for a burial of the ashes on short notice. So now part of him rests in a grave he shares with his Mum and Pop. He loved them so. I know he'd be pleased.

It was really hard walking around the city and realizing that all I can ever be there is a visitor.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 3:34 pm
WhiteRabbit

Originally Posted by WEBlue
So very sorry to read about this journey, Rebeccajo.

I too hope you're doing OK. Please take care of yourself....
I take individual therapy and have the support of a lot of friends. But the loneliness is palpable, to be honest.

Thanks for the well wishes though.
Old Jul 28th 2017, 9:02 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

I thought I should let everyone know that I had no problems whatsoever carrying my husband's ashes from the US to the UK. If for nothing other than helping someone in the future who might run a search for the topic.

His ashes were in a temporary acrylic receptacle that I carried in a leather tote as hand luggage. It passed through security at the outgoing US airport with no issues. No one at that airport even asked to see documentation. The bag was taken aside and gone over with the "magic wand" that US airport security uses. But the agent was very respectful and kind.

We managed to get turned around in the airport in Edinburgh, and ended up having to put the box through UK scanning and security. Not a single question and not put through any secondary scanning.

I did carry a death certificate and a certificate of human cremains. But as I already mentioned, no one ever asked to see them. Not even the undertaker in the UK who arranged for burial of the ashes. I would however recommend that should you find yourself in this situation, have the documents on hand. You just never know.
I'm glad it went well for you with no dramas.
Old Aug 7th 2017, 12:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this post - I'm so glad that you were able to make it back to your husband's home town (my home town also) with his ashes. It must have been a very sad journey for you. I have sent you a PM.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 11:30 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

I take individual therapy and have the support of a lot of friends. But the loneliness is palpable, to be honest.

Thanks for the well wishes though.

Yes, the loneliness.... a good sign in many ways because it means you loved each other and enriched each other's lives. So it's wonderful to have had that, but so very hard to do without it now. Hugs, Rebeccajo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.