Travel Question

Old Mar 31st 2008, 3:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Question

Originally Posted by edwords
Travelling to Heathrow in a couple of weeks (not T5, thankfully) for the first time in several years. I'm UKC and my wife is USC. Can we go on the same immigration queue or do we have to enter separately? Also, has anyone experienced any difficulty using US-issued credit cards in London. Many thanks, John

P.S. We'll be taking the QM2 back home. Whoopie!
I had read that you were able to do that on this website before however, on my last trip back (Nov 2007) I stood in the non EU resident line with my hubby and 2 kids, when I got up there I asked if we had gone through the other line if my hubby and kids would have been allowed through with me and she said absolutely not... only if I had my kids with me not my husband. Who knows what would have happened if we had actually done it... maybe they would have let it slide and let us go through together.

Because I had my kids in a stoller they did let us by pass the security wait line and put us right to the front which was really nice... they do not do that in the US airports.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:28 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
For both of us? It is her first visit to the UK and I'd like to accompany her. Thanks
You can go through the non-citizen line together. I personally wouldn't try going through the EU citizen line together.
Usually you'll be OK with the US credit card in the UK. I was once refused, and since I didn't want to argue (the person working the till was about 85 years old and doing her best) I just paid cash that time.
However, as the years go by, it might be that we'll have more and more problems using US credit cards in the UK since some employees will have never seen the old system.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Schnorbitz
For both of us? It is her first visit to the UK and I'd like to accompany her. Thanks
i have found the officers want to see the entire party that are traveling together... so we always head for the shortest line!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:06 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, what's the point of getting through immigration ASAP? Then you just have to wait longer at the luggage carousels! We're flying in to Heathrow in about ten days; we have a train booked at King's Cross at about noon, giving us six hours to go through Heathrow and take the Piccadilly line to the station.. I'm thinking Heathrow to KX will take only slightly less time than Ottawa to Heathrow
Old Mar 31st 2008, 2:12 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...7&postcount=34
Old Mar 31st 2008, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Manc
you can use the same immigration queue I believe.

good to see you again edwords.
Thanks, Manc. I've been here all along, simply in lurking mode.
And thank you, everyone, for answering my questions. I knew this would be the best place to go to find the answers. This site is such a wonderful resource.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:35 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You might want to find out your PIN number for your US CC. Although in theory you can still sign a CC slip, there are plenty of people working at plenty of places who simply don't realize it. It might save time and hassle if you just get the PIN number for your CC and have peace of mind. I've been turned down plenty of times for not having a PIN (I still carry my US CC).
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:37 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You might want to find out your PIN number for your US CC. Although in theory you can still sign a CC slip, there are plenty of people working at plenty of places who simply don't realize it. It might save time and hassle if you just get the PIN number for your CC and have peace of mind. I've been turned down plenty of times for not having a PIN (I still carry my US CC).
I think a PIN is useless without the chip though - I didn't think US cards have a chip.