Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Travel insurance and residency

Travel insurance and residency

Old Mar 30th 2016, 1:44 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel insurance and residency

I've been on a couple of those 'compare' web sites, to arrange travel insurance for my UK - Australia - UK trip.

Every UK web site assumes that I'm a permanent resident of the UK, and you can't progress your quote if you aren't. I live in the UK now, but I only have initial leave to enter so I'm not a permanent resident yet.

Or am I getting too hung up on the Home Office/immigration meaning of 'permanent resident', and the insurance companies just want to know where I usually live? I don't want to accept the assumption that I'm a permanent resident and then have a claim denied for fibbing! (in the unhappy event that I need to make a claim, that is).

The benefit of your advice is both needed and appreciated.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 2:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel insurance and residency

Read the T&Cs of each company you are looking at. They will have their definition of what they mean by "permanent resident". It's worth reading all their T&Cs before you buy anyway.

Then clear your cookies using something like the free cleaner ccleaner
Download CCleaner 5.16.5551 - FileHippo.com
Then order through a cashback site such as www.topcashback.co.uk or Quidco - The UK's #1 Cashback & Voucher Codes Site.

Don't but the one with the best best cashback in case they don't pay outon that cashback. Buy the best one for you and if they are offering cashback on those sites and they pay that out, you have a bonus. I've never had one yet that didn't pay out, but others have.

Last edited by formula; Mar 30th 2016 at 2:26 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 2:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I've been on a couple of those 'compare' web sites, to arrange travel insurance for my UK - Australia - UK trip.

Every UK web site assumes that I'm a permanent resident of the UK, and you can't progress your quote if you aren't. I live in the UK now, but I only have initial leave to enter so I'm not a permanent resident yet.

Or am I getting too hung up on the Home Office/immigration meaning of 'permanent resident', and the insurance companies just want to know where I usually live? I don't want to accept the assumption that I'm a permanent resident and then have a claim denied for fibbing! (in the unhappy event that I need to make a claim, that is).

Before Mrs TB had her ILR, we travelled to Korea, US, all over Europe and each time just took regular travel insurance. They only ask 'where do you normally live' which was always fine.

Having said that, we had a decent relationship with our local travel agent and were 'whatever' VIP status with them, so they did most things for us. IIRC, the one time we had to claim for a lost camera, the underwriters were 'White Horse'.
Old Mar 30th 2016, 3:52 pm
Forum Regular

RGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond reputeRGH80 has a reputation beyond repute

Friend of mine on a Tier 4 had no problems with travel insurance last year.

Comparison sites often have a 'catch all' set of questions which don't necessarily match the insurance company. Find which quotes are most appealing to you, and then check directly with that company.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 8:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe it would be the immigration definition, but rather the insurance company just wants to know where you live. I agree with the poster above, get your shortlist together and then contact insurance companies directly and ask the question.
Old Mar 31st 2016, 10:20 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Formula, Tr1boy, RGH80 and Bermudashorts, thank you very much for your help

I'll get a number of online quotes as suggested (by accepting the permanent resident assumption) and then contact my preferred insurer direct - I'll post the result here for anyone who has a similar query in the future.

BE comes up trumps again (not a capital T on that trump - if he becomes a member I'm out of here)
Old Mar 31st 2016, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

BE comes up trumps again
Old Apr 1st 2016, 5:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

If you have been resident for 6 months you may be alright. We tried to get travel insurance last year to travel to South Africa and because we had not been resident for a year we had to pay a much higher premium. Even our bank which gives good travel insurance for us bumped up the premium when they found out we had only been here a few months. We eventually went with Bupa. Try them.
Old Apr 1st 2016, 7:44 pm
Concierge

Originally Posted by feelbritish
If you have been resident for 6 months you may be alright. We tried to get travel insurance last year to travel to South Africa and because we had not been resident for a year we had to pay a much higher premium. Even our bank which gives good travel insurance for us bumped up the premium when they found out we had only been here a few months. We eventually went with Bupa. Try them.
Thanks FB, I haven't got around to doing the quotes yet (bloody renos, they're taking forever), but I'll certainly bear that in mind. I've only been here 5 months