Travel Insurance

Old Mar 29th 2014, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Travel Insurance

There have been numerous threads lately in the Canada section about one way travel insurance for people heading to Canada, but I was wondering if anyone had any experience of one way insurance for heading to the UK?
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:16 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel Insurance

For Canada to UK. I took out insurance with our airline - Air Transat. I couldn't find any other one way insurance. That's just for us and our luggage, including cancellation insurance.

We are insuring our container contents separately through the shipping company.

I could not find any way of insuring the cats, though we are paying more for their air-fare than our own.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't insure our cats coming here. They wouldn't check on them during a flight, so not like they'd land elsewhere or anything I suppose. Not really sure what else you could insure them against?
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hmmm... Just came across these guys. Link from the Lonely Planet website.

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-in...#axzz2xOiUuRJU
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:54 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dashie
We didn't insure our cats coming here. They wouldn't check on them during a flight, so not like they'd land elsewhere or anything I suppose. Not really sure what else you could insure them against?
Cancellation is my main concern and having to rebook, if one of the cats got sick, for example.
Old Mar 29th 2014, 11:56 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Hmmm... Just came across these guys. Link from the Lonely Planet website.

http://www.worldnomads.com/travel-in...#axzz2xOiUuRJU
I don't see anything on their site that says they offer one way insurance.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
Cancellation is my main concern and having to rebook, if one of the cats got sick, for example.
I guess. They need that certificate too. Wonder what airline policies are for that?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Editha
I don't see anything on their site that says they offer one way insurance.
In their FAQ section. You can also re-register part way through a trip and change your country of residence, they say to put where you would like to be repatriated to, and to ensure you legally can be and are eligible for healthcare there. As we're eligible for NHS treatment as soon as we land, and have an address, I would register us there I think.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:32 am
Was in Canada, now home.

In their FAQ section. You can also re-register part way through a trip and change your country of residence, they say to put where you would like to be repatriated to, and to ensure you legally can be and are eligible for healthcare there. As we're eligible for NHS treatment as soon as we land, and have an address, I would register us there I think.
And the word's 'your current membership can only be linked to one country of residence" ?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:38 am
Was in Canada, now home.

I'd check with your airline before buying. Nomads gives me a quote of $157. I've insured with Air Transat for $100.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

At that point, we would not be resident in Canada anymore so can't put here. As soon as we touch down in the UK, we will be resident there. I'd double check with them but they say they cover one way. Where would Air Transat take you to? The airline we're looking at doesn't offer travel insurance. Our quote was under £30 from Nomads with UK as country of residence.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 1:06 am
Was in Canada, now home.

OK, if you are happy with it. But, the coverage does state you are covered for holidays and leisure trips and trips for non-manual work. It doesn't say immigration:

http://www.worldnomads.com/policy_wo...bf5d8f4d70f6e0

I'd check with them first and get confirmation that you will be covered. It is cheap, but there is no point in paying for a useless policy.

Which airline are you using?
Old Mar 30th 2014, 8:36 am
Back home at last!

Pombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud ofPombat has much to be proud of

We used World Nomads when returning from the USA to live in England. I spoke with a real person to check that we could indeed be covered for a one way journey and choose where to be repatriated if necessary, and we could. We came home on the Queen Mary 2 and needed cruise travel cover for a week while we were in transit, and would definitely not have wanted to be taken back to the USA if we fell ill on the cruise. World Nomads were very helpful.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 10:34 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pombat
We used World Nomads when returning from the USA to live in England. I spoke with a real person to check that we could indeed be covered for a one way journey and choose where to be repatriated if necessary, and we could. We came home on the Queen Mary 2 and needed cruise travel cover for a week while we were in transit, and would definitely not have wanted to be taken back to the USA if we fell ill on the cruise. World Nomads were very helpful.
+ 1. We did the same thing. I talked to the UK office to ensure that we would be repatriated to the the UK and not Canada in the case of a medical issue. We were travelling for about a week and then sailing back to the UK so needed insurance whilst travelling in Canada, US enroute to the UK.
Old Mar 30th 2014, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Excellent news, thanks you two!

Quite fancy the look of Icelandair, bit of an adventure on the way for a few days

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.