British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Travel Exemption for going back to the UK permanently (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/travel-exemption-going-back-uk-permanently-933364/)

Scottinoz Jun 23rd 2020 10:28 am

Travel Exemption for going back to the UK permanently

Hi all

Has anyone had any luck applying for a travel exemption to go back to the UK permanently from Australia ? We are dual UK/Aus citizens. We have recently lost my mother and desperately want to go home home and lay her to rest.
We have only been here ( this time ) 2 years and are not settling at all. We have a house and a job at home in the UK and my children are enrolled to start school there in August.
We have applied 2 weeks ago with the flight noted on the application for Wed 24th June ( tomorrow ) We have still not had any reply or answer . We applied again this morning but this time attached 15 documents and put our flight down for Sat coming.
I am hearing lots of horror stories and am really hoping someone will be able to tell me they had a good outcome ? Home affairs are now non contactable, there is literally nobody you can call and no way of chasing up your application outcome. Its so stressful.

spouse of scouse Jun 23rd 2020 12:03 pm

Re: Travel Exemption for going back to the UK permanently

Originally Posted by Scottinoz (Post 12870795)
Hi all

Has anyone had any luck applying for a travel exemption to go back to the UK permanently from Australia ? We are dual UK/Aus citizens. We have recently lost my mother and desperately want to go home home and lay her to rest.
We have only been here ( this time ) 2 years and are not settling at all. We have a house and a job at home in the UK and my children are enrolled to start school there in August.
We have applied 2 weeks ago with the flight noted on the application for Wed 24th June ( tomorrow ) We have still not had any reply or answer . We applied again this morning but this time attached 15 documents and put our flight down for Sat coming.
I am hearing lots of horror stories and am really hoping someone will be able to tell me they had a good outcome ? Home affairs are now non contactable, there is literally nobody you can call and no way of chasing up your application outcome. Its so stressful.

Hi Scott, I'm really sorry for the loss of your mum.

I've only seen one other post about the travel exemption, it's in the Oz forum. The poster (Tess) was in England and her partner wanted to join her there permanently, he applied for a travel exemption and hadn't received it by the day his flight was due to fly out. This is what they did:

Well it was nearly a disaster at the airport today. They wouldn’t let him proceed to the flight even though he produced evidence of his non return to Australia and also that we had applied for an exemption. Border control told him to email the crisis management team which I did and fortunately they responded within about 15 mins and granted the exemption. He just made it to the flight and is on his way home.
So, travellers definitely need an exemption and if it’s getting near to the travel date, chase them for a response.

https://britishexpats.com/forum/aust...ptions-931901/

As you're a new poster you won't be able to send Tess a private message, but if you post on the thread (link above) and ask her for the email address she used, she may see your question and respond. Sorry, I can't think of anything else you can try but I hope it all works out for you.

Scottinoz Jun 23rd 2020 12:21 pm

Thank you so much for taking the time to send a reply. This has been very helpful. I have thought about just turning up for the flight if I don't hear anything however with a family of 4 , it's a lot of money to lose if they deny travel.
It could be a last resort tho and good to know it worked for someone!
There are so many people in similar situations but there has been no media attention so people are not aware. Some of the stories I am reading are heartbreaking.
Thanks again!

Pollyana Jun 24th 2020 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Scottinoz (Post 12870854)
Thank you so much for taking the time to send a reply. This has been very helpful. I have thought about just turning up for the flight if I don't hear anything however with a family of 4 , it's a lot of money to lose if they deny travel.
It could be a last resort tho and good to know it worked for someone!
There are so many people in similar situations but there has been no media attention so people are not aware. Some of the stories I am reading are heartbreaking.
Thanks again!

I have seen a couple of people on other forums report that they have bee granted an exemption, and I have a friend whose family have got one, all to return permanently. The friend applied very early for a flight months ahead and was granted fast, possibly because the system was quite new then. All the other seem to have to wait till quite near the date before its granted, and one was refused twice, flight cancelled as a result and had to reapply - third time lucky.

No useful hints to add, beyond Tess's story above, but I wish you luck.