Reload this Page >

Travel exemption for Brit/Aus citizen returning to UK

Travel exemption for Brit/Aus citizen returning to UK

Old May 20th 2021, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Helen Randle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Travel exemption for Brit/Aus citizen returning to UK

Hi
I am a dual British/Aus citizen and been in Aus for 12 yrs. Aiming to return to the UK at the end of the year. Although things are continuously changing, what is the current process for leaving Australia permanently? Do I need to apply for an exemption or sign a stat dec? I am not having much luck searching online.
Do I need to do anything to enter the UK aside from showing my UK passport?
Many thanks, H
Old May 20th 2021, 4:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Travel exemption for Brit/Aus citizen returning to UK

All the information is here:

https://www.health.gov.au/news/healt...t-of-australia

https://www.gov.uk/uk-border-control

Currently you need an exemption to leave Australia

As you don't intend to travel until end of year, all restrictions/rules will probably have changed by then.
Old May 20th 2021, 11:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

As you don't intend to travel until end of year, all restrictions/rules will probably have changed by then.
i wouldn't bet on that, things are unlikely to change much here for at least another 12 months.
Old May 25th 2021, 9:17 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Helen, I returned to UK at the very end of January this year from an EU country so can only relate details from that area & may only be relevant due to Brexit.It was a minefield with sparse info. on the Govn.website. I had sold my property & needed to find a new home in the UK which,according to the Govn.was permissable for travelling.I asked both the Brit.Embassy & the Consulate if I could have a written document that said this in case some official stopped me en route.Unfortunately the only flight I could get directly into Britain was to the north of England & I was going to Scotland.I am still awaiting a reply from either department.Obviously I had cancelled my Bank account,credit card etc.so was carrying sufficient Sterling to keep me going until I was able to set up a bank account back here.Everywhere refused cash,even for a cup of coffee,card only payment .Fortunately I had paid beforehand for my isolation rental in advance as I had no relatives to take me in while I got sorted out.Establishing a new Bank account was another nightmare.I can appreciate that it is necessary to check for money launderers but,& because the addresses I supplied(3 previous sold properties were requested by them) were "too long to fit on their equipment",it was decided to allow me to leave my modest savings with the Bank that was using this"security" company for their assessments.This was also the response I got once before from the British DWP when I changed my address in Europe,just to give you an idea of how outdated things are.You do not say if you are bringing belongings back because that is a whole different set of new regulations.Best wishes with your move.
Old May 25th 2021, 3:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

From this link, it seems like there is a loophole that would allow you to fly Aus-NZ, then NZ-anywhere else to get out if seeking an exemption is unsuccessful.

Note: The outwards travel ban from Australia remains in place with an exemption being made for travel to and from New Zealand. Australians seeking to travel within the Australia-New Zealand green zone are reminded to check Smartraveller for 'do not travel advice' for all other destinations, and are advised against travelling-on from New Zealand to locations beyond this travel zone.
Old May 25th 2021, 10:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gozit
From this link, it seems like there is a loophole that would allow you to fly Aus-NZ, then NZ-anywhere else to get out if seeking an exemption is unsuccessful.
The loophole exists, though technically its illegal. I'm in a couple of facebook gropups where people are considering trying this route, but as yet there are very few reports of actual success. The only ones I have seen are a couple of [people leaving Aus on a permanent basis, who have booked two totally different flights, one to NZ, then an onward one to the final destination after a couple of days. Bit too obvious if you book with just a transit stop in NZ.
Old May 25th 2021, 11:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Gozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond reputeGozit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The loophole exists, though technically its illegal. I'm in a couple of facebook gropups where people are considering trying this route, but as yet there are very few reports of actual success. The only ones I have seen are a couple of [people leaving Aus on a permanent basis, who have booked two totally different flights, one to NZ, then an onward one to the final destination after a couple of days. Bit too obvious if you book with just a transit stop in NZ.
Agreed yes you'd have to do it as you said, two separate flights. Perhaps even entering and leaving NZ on your non-AU passport if a dual citizen. Not sure what immigration data is shared between NZ and Aus but that may be enough.

Technically it is a legal grey area in international law for Australia to say it is illegal for someone to depart NZ to a third country, neither of which are in Australia's jurisdiction. I think the illegal part would be flying back to Australia through New Zealand and not declaring your travel from NZ->third country.

I'm not claiming to be versed in Australian law but the website said "not recommended" not "illegal."