Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Transporting my cat from Canada to UK

Transporting my cat from Canada to UK

Old Aug 6th 2015, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transporting my cat from Canada to UK

Originally Posted by Kooksty
Oh my gosh, I am dumb! Thank you so much! I was definitely reading it wrong this entire time.... >.<

That makes things a lot easier!

I still have the blank form and a sample of a completed form that the canadian government vet sent me when I was looking into shipping my cat from the maritimes to the uk last year if you would like to see them.

M
Old Aug 7th 2015, 3:54 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Kooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the1mag
I still have the blank form and a sample of a completed form that the canadian government vet sent me when I was looking into shipping my cat from the maritimes to the uk last year if you would like to see them.

M
That would be brilliant! Thank you!
Old Aug 7th 2015, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

the1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond reputethe1mag has a reputation beyond repute

That would be brilliant! Thank you!
Could you send me a PM with your email address and then I'll forward the forms and the message I was sent about completing them. It's all pretty simple really as long as you read everything carefully and stay on top of things.

FYI I flew from Halifax to Heathrow via Icelandair and I handled everything myself with the cargo people at Halifax and James at Heathrow. I was intially upset that my 20 year old cat had to go cargo but came to the conclusion that it was actually for the best since she would be in a large carrier with lots of room to move around and it would be easier for her to sleep through the flight there than in a small carrier in the cabin. When I picked her up at Heathrow she seemed pretty untouched by the whole experience other than being very hungry ;-)
Old Aug 7th 2015, 6:01 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Kooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond reputeKooksty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
My advice would be to fly on a Thu or Fri, as you need the government offices to ideally be open in case of any issues with paperwork. We just bought a cat and a dog back seven weeks ago, flew with Air Transat into Gatwick from Toronto. Dog and cat are absolutely fine.

Was a little stressful though sorting paperwork as vet did not complete it entirely properly which resulted in more trips to CFIA (and they were closed for two of the five days) as we flew on a Tue, got the bloodwork done on Fri, but had to revisit CFIA on Mon.

Was epensive, around $1500 but worth it for us!
I already have my flight booked to leave on a Tuesday, arrive on Wednesday.

You say you got bloodwork done but I was under the impression that they didn't need bloodwork done unless they were coming from an unlisted country?

I'm still waiting for quotes from companies about the price.
Old Aug 7th 2015, 8:08 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, what bloodwork?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

ookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the roughookie123 is a jewel in the rough

Also bare in mind that there can be restrictions on when pets can travel some airlines will not allow pets to travel certain months of the year
Old Aug 8th 2015, 7:47 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisymoll
Was a little stressful though sorting paperwork as vet did not complete it entirely properly which resulted in more trips to CFIA (and they were closed for two of the five days) as we flew on a Tue, got the bloodwork done on Fri, but had to revisit CFIA on Mon.
You say you got bloodwork done but I was under the impression that they didn't need bloodwork done unless they were coming from an unlisted country?
... and even then, the bloodwork (taking a sample to prove that the rabies vacc has been effective) must be done 3+ months in advance, so I'm also unsure what Daisymoll means.

Maybe she's referring to the tapeworm treatment dogs (not cats) must have 1-5 days before travel?
Old Aug 8th 2015, 8:25 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ookie123
Also bare in mind that there can be restrictions on when pets can travel some airlines will not allow pets to travel certain months of the year
I'm not aware of any restrictions in Canada by any of the major airlines.
Old Aug 8th 2015, 12:52 pm
YYC to UK to YYC to ?

Originally Posted by MoshiMoshi
... and even then, the bloodwork (taking a sample to prove that the rabies vacc has been effective) must be done 3+ months in advance, so I'm also unsure what Daisymoll means.

Maybe she's referring to the tapeworm treatment dogs (not cats) must have 1-5 days before travel?
See, I originally thought that's what I had to do when I first decided to move back but that only applies to UN-listed, NON EU countries. Canada is a listed EU country so the blood work isn't needed. As far as the British government website says anyway.