Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Transporting horse back to UK from Canada

Transporting horse back to UK from Canada

Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:43 am
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice
Default Transporting horse back to UK from Canada

Has anyone done this and recommend any companies.

I really don't think we can afford to do it as we are going back pretty much penniless but I'm worried leaving him here in hicksville where animal care is diabolical and I can see him ending up eventually at the local auction being sold to kill buyer.

Are there any other alternatives anyone can think of? Bearing in mind he's an off the track Standardbred (you can pick them up for nothing) trained English (so not your typical cowboy horse).
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Transporting horse back to UK from Canada

Have you done a search for animal shippers? I know it can be done but no idea of the cost.

I know you don't want to hear this but if it was my horse and I had that very real fear for his future I would have him put down. It would be kinder to him as you have no idea how he would be treated and would stop you from worrying and not knowing. It's not a pleasant thought but unless you find someone you trust completely to take him you will never know. Good luck.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 12:25 pm
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
Please dont have him put down!! There must be something as Janey on this site had hers sent from New Zealand not too long ago. Just search... try this site http://www.uship.com/LandingPages/custom/uk_horses.htm
I just put in the search 'transporting a horse overseas' and loads of things came up. Good luck. Hope you find something.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

I tried to do a search for Horse shipping in CA but mostly got UK hits. I did find the one listed below and they can maybe give you some pointers. I do hope you can work something out and I hope you understand that my suggestion was as a last resort. I am very much an animal lover and my concerns are always for the animals benefit and well being. If I thought my pet would end up suffering in any way and we all know there are some dreadful people out there who have no concerns for animals at all, then I would take that last resort as hard and as upsetting as it would be.

Does your area have a Humane Society or Horse rescue group or something like that? Try everything you can think of. You never know what might turn up.

I wish you lots of luck and wish there was something I could do to help.

http://www.travelinghorse.com/
Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Sunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of lightSunshine Girl is a glorious beacon of light

Hello the Davis family. I can firmly identify and sympathize with your situation. We're returning after 8 years (Orrible Ontario), and had to rehome our menagerie of rescues, including sheep, goats, chicken/ducks and our 2 donkeys. You can imagine the fun and games trying to rehome 'pet' sheep. Trying to keep them on the hoof and not the fork However, I did succeed
I tried advertising on Kijji, and although you will get a lot of stupid replies, it did pay off for my pot bellied pigs. The sheep and goats were rehomed via a contact we made through our hay supplier. The donkeys were rehomed through a rescue organization.
So please take heart as it can be done, as there are a lot of good hearted people, you just have to look for them
The other venues I tried, which might be worthwhile for you are the local horse vet, the farrier, the local feed and tack stores etc. I would definitely try the rescue groups however. You may end up sponsoring your horse, but it will hopefully be worth it to you, as you can keep a tab on the welfare of your horse through continued contacts
Anyway, I just needed to reply to wish you and your horse the very best Karma I can muster for you all
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

the davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nicethe davis family is just really nice

Thanks for the replies. I have got some quotes back and it's going to cost between $8000-$10,000

I have a year so no rush, so I think the plan is put as much training on him as possible, and try and find a good home. We also have 3 dogs and a cat to worry about but I refuse to leave them here! I'm putting one horse down (he has navicular so kindest thing to do) but I would have a real hard job putting Will down. But I can see your point and if the worst came to the worst I would probably consider it to be honest!

The rescues round here I wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge pole! The way they treat their animals here (just this part of Canada as I'm sure the rest is way better) is one of the reasons for wanting to get back to civilization.

I don't regret coming to Canada one bit, we've had our adventure we wanted to do something different which we did, but it's time to go home.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

mayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of lightmayhemuk is a glorious beacon of light

Outside chance but I would try contacting some racing organisations. Aren't horses shipped frequently. Maybe one can pick up a spare berth that way?

Or look for home for him/her somewhere further afield rather than immediately local if shipping becomes a no go?
Old Jul 6th 2010, 12:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Easterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond reputeEasterndawn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the davis family
Thanks for the replies. I have got some quotes back and it's going to cost between $8000-$10,000

I have a year so no rush, so I think the plan is put as much training on him as possible, and try and find a good home. We also have 3 dogs and a cat to worry about but I refuse to leave them here! I'm putting one horse down (he has navicular so kindest thing to do) but I would have a real hard job putting Will down. But I can see your point and if the worst came to the worst I would probably consider it to be honest!

The rescues round here I wouldn't touch with a ten foot barge pole! The way they treat their animals here (just this part of Canada as I'm sure the rest is way better) is one of the reasons for wanting to get back to civilization.

I don't regret coming to Canada one bit, we've had our adventure we wanted to do something different which we did, but it's time to go home.
Have you tried locating a ranch that uses horse for rehabilitation, if he is very gentle they might be interested. I used to live in Saskatchewan and understand where you are comming from in regards to how horses are thought of in that neck of the woods. Best of luck
Old Jul 6th 2010, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the ideas.

I will let you know what happens. I'm looking forward to getting back to good vets and farriers. And proper riding schools!!!
Old Jul 6th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

wiltshire_1 will become famous soon enoughwiltshire_1 will become famous soon enough

I will let you know what happens. I'm looking forward to getting back to good vets and farriers. And proper riding schools!!!
Hi there,

I am going through the same dilemma with shipping my horse back to the UK from Australia. The standard of animal care here sounds very similar to your situation. My horse is also a Standardbred and they have very little value here in Australia after racing (although mine never raced). I couldn't bare the thought of her not being well cared for. Have you contacted International Racehorse Transport?? I'm not sure if they operate in Canada but worth a try. It's costing us about AU$12,000 to get my horse home. I just couldn't leave her here with the risk of suffering the same as so may horses I see on a daily basis!

Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 2:20 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hey!

There are a couple of people on the Canada forums that are horsey and my be able to help if you decide to rehome - why not pop a thread on there?
Old Jul 7th 2010, 5:40 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default ReTransporting horse back to UK from Canada

I would contact Spruce Meadows in Calgary. They hold show jumping events at there magnificent facility with horses and riders coming from all over the world. They may be able to advise you on the best carriers.
Old Jul 7th 2010, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Wiltshire_1 am sending you a PM

Thanks Piff Poff and If1 I will do!
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:25 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

This article is in today's Toronto Star about a horse rescue farm/facility near Hamilton Ontario. Perhaps if you need it, they can help you.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/fixe...r-loving-touch
Old Jul 8th 2010, 1:50 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

I know you aren't asking for money but I promise if I had a few extra quid would send it your way. I do hope you are able to take horse with you back to UK or at least find it a decent home.. good luck..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.