Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:47 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

Here's the link to the list of routes/airlines:

http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet.../noneu-air.pdf
Old Mar 13th 2011, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

My guys (I have 3) got their paperwork finalised this week (with the exception of tick and tapeworm 24-48 hours before we fly). It's been a real pain for me because of the fact that I didn't get my dogs chipped and vaccinated TO come home. I did it as a matter of routine which caused complications when there shouldn't really be any.

Fingers crossed, they're good to go now though

Just got to book a flight and can't decide whether to risk doing that now as I can't book the dogs on the same flight till a month before I actually go.....

... oh decisions, decisions.....
Old Mar 17th 2011, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point

I contacted Thomas Cook cargo direct as we want to fly dogs from Vancouver to Manchester but kept coming up against a brick wall.

Thomas Cook directed us to Ladyhaye Pet shipping agents. I emailed them and got a quick and comprehensive response.
We can fly from Van to Man, they can arrange it and the price for our 2 dogs was less than we were anticipating. So yippee!!
They also seem to offer a lot of other services that are really useful and helpful especially if your travelling alone or have a lot of baggage to deal with.

Once we've sold the house we now have one less thing to worry about the journey home.
Old Mar 17th 2011, 8:13 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by We made our bed
I contacted Thomas Cook cargo direct as we want to fly dogs from Vancouver to Manchester but kept coming up against a brick wall.

Thomas Cook directed us to Ladyhaye Pet shipping agents. I emailed them and got a quick and comprehensive response.
We can fly from Van to Man, they can arrange it and the price for our 2 dogs was less than we were anticipating. So yippee!!
They also seem to offer a lot of other services that are really useful and helpful especially if your travelling alone or have a lot of baggage to deal with.

Once we've sold the house we now have one less thing to worry about the journey home.

let me know how you make out with Ladyhaye, i am planning on using them also in Oct
Old Mar 18th 2011, 2:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by We made our bed

Can you expand upon Ladyhaye costs & services. There is not a lot of info on their website.
Cheers,
Linda
Old Apr 30th 2011, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

To anyone who has flown their dogs (or cats) back on the same flight as they took (maybe only specific to Air Canada):

I booked my flight some time ago but was told I couldn't get the dogs on until a month before the flight. So I've waited, worried and hoped there wouldn't be a problem.

I phoned last week (the month before the flight) only to be told they're not booking till 2 WEEKS before the flight (the date he gave me was actually 12 days before the flight)...

Of course, I'm now more worried as EVERYTHING (my handing my notice in at work, leaving the house, arranging for the removal co., returning the car etc) is all dependant on me getting the flight I have booked. Not to mention pre-work medical and start date etc. at the UK end...

Has anyone else come up against this? Should I 'just chill'????
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:04 am
BE Enthusiast

We made it!!!!
I actually had to fly from Halifax (as in, drive and take the ferry from Newfoundland, fortunately my dogs crates JUST fit in the car) as there wasn't enough oxygen on the direct flight from St Johns to Heathrow for the 3 dogs.....
Old Jun 6th 2011, 12:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Esme
We made it!!!!
I actually had to fly from Halifax (as in, drive and take the ferry from Newfoundland, fortunately my dogs crates JUST fit in the car) as there wasn't enough oxygen on the direct flight from St Johns to Heathrow for the 3 dogs.....
Way to go Esme! Congratulations!
Old Jun 10th 2011, 8:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bandrui
Way to go Esme! Congratulations!
Thanks bandrui! lots of ups and downs along the way. I wondered more than once if I'd have not been better off using some organisation to arrange the dogs transport but am very happy I did it myself in the long run. I even brought some dog food back (in my luggage) so avoided the hoo hah of declaring it

The Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow were WONDERFUL.
Old Jun 11th 2011, 5:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Esme
Thanks bandrui! lots of ups and downs along the way. I wondered more than once if I'd have not been better off using some organisation to arrange the dogs transport but am very happy I did it myself in the long run. I even brought some dog food back (in my luggage) so avoided the hoo hah of declaring it

The Animal Reception Centre at Heathrow were WONDERFUL.
Excellent. Glad to hear it.

I see you are in Newtown. I was there on my last trip to see if I could get some information on my Great Great Grandmother Margaret Davis who was born in Welshpool.
Old Sep 8th 2011, 12:23 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to bump an old thread...

I found out last night that my dad has a brain tumour. We wont know anymore until next week, but I've started to consider the possibility we might need to go back to the UK.

Can anyone else comment on the cost of transporting dogs back to the UK? My dog has been microchipped and vaccinated against rabies, although we'll have to get a blood test etc, from what I understand (although it seems the rules will change on Jan 1st 2012 which makes the process a bit easier).

Thanks