Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

Old Mar 3rd 2011, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice
Default Re: transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

(bit like the Canadian meat inspection vet giving my dogs the all clear to enter the UK!!!)
Old Mar 4th 2011, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

What a minefield this is. I am so down in the dumps after doing some investigation into transporting my dog, a large Golden Retriever. First of all the max allowance for a dog including the container as checked baggage on Air Canada is 70lbs. I think my dog weighs about 70lbs without the container.

He goes everywhere with me... to all my gardening jobs. It would be bad enough to think of him stuck in baggage for 9 hour flight plus pre and post flight times, not to mention the inability to take public transportation with him, so having to have my first driving experience in Uk in an unfamiliar car, in London, on the other side of the road. Now it seems that won't even be possible. I don't know if I can bear to freight him which will mean he is gone for considerably longer and I am travelling alone with no-one meeting me so don't know how that is going to work.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I arbitrarily picked an Air Canada flight on the 9th July to check flight duration and the posted one-way fare, which I assume does not include the many and various taxes and fees was $2,451!!!! Are you Kidding me!!!! I could cry.

I was thinking that since the process for prepping him has to be done 6 months in advance, I should start the process. Now I don't know what to do.

Last edited by bandrui; Mar 4th 2011 at 4:24 am.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Esme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really niceEsme is just really nice

Originally Posted by bandrui
What a minefield this is. I am so down in the dumps after doing some investigation into transporting my dog, a large Golden Retriever. First of all the max allowance for a dog including the container as checked baggage on Air Canada is 70lbs. I think my dog weighs about 70lbs without the container.

He goes everywhere with me... to all my gardening jobs. It would be bad enough to think of him stuck in baggage for 9 hour flight plus pre and post flight times, not to mention the inability to take public transportation with him, so having to have my first driving experience in Uk in an unfamiliar car, in London, on the other side of the road. Now it seems that won't even be possible. I don't know if I can bear to freight him which will mean he is gone for considerably longer and I am travelling alone with no-one meeting me so don't know how that is going to work.

As if that wasn't bad enough, I arbitrarily picked an Air Canada flight on the 9th July to check flight duration and the posted one-way fare, which I assume does not include the many and various taxes and fees was $2,451!!!! Are you Kidding me!!!! I could cry.

I was thinking that since the process for prepping him has to be done 6 months in advance, I should start the process. Now I don't know what to do.
DON'T GIVE UP!

It sounds rough for you but there has to be a way round it. It's going to cost me $4800 to ship my 3 back. I did notice that restriction on weight. Why is there that restriction? You mentioned about the dog being 'checked baggage'. Have you called Air Canada cargo (live pets)? 1-866 615 1155 [email protected] - they coordinate cargo transportation of pets on the same flight. But no more than a month in advance. That's their silly rule (I can't decide whether to book my flight now or wait till I can definitely make sure I book the dogs on the same one). They assure me that all cargo is 'released' no more than a month in advance and doesn't get booked that early so I should be okay but it is a bit of a risk. Check out this info too http://www.ckc.ca/en/Default.aspx?ta...144&prevID=202 (hopefully that will get you there).
Starting the process early is a good idea. I started in September for travelling in May just to give myself room to pick my way through what you rightly call a minefield. So much red tape!!!!
Keep plodding on! Good luck with it! I'm no expert but if I can help at all, just holler
You do need to check when you can travel with a dog on a plane. I don't know if you're planning on going in July but there are restrictions over summer because it gets too hot.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:34 am
BE Enthusiast

You should check out return flight - another stupid thing, they're cheaper than one way flights. Flying off peak would be cheaper as well
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

bandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond reputebandrui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Esme
You should check out return flight - another stupid thing, they're cheaper than one way flights. Flying off peak would be cheaper as well
I just talked to my friend Marlow who is moving back this year. She suggested using Air Transat. She used them to ship her and her dog here on the same flight with no problem at all.
Really appreciate your comments and will check the links you sent. Air Transat has great prices and the plus of going to Gatwick which might feel a little less intimidating to drive from. I am a good driver, assertive, but driving on the other side of the road after a transatlantic flight gives me the heeby jeebies. Still, lots of time yet and I have to figure out where I am even going.
I think I'll see if I can go to the vet tomorrow and start the ball rolling.
Thanks again Esme.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 3:25 pm
Forum Regular

Guinness is an unknown quantity at this point

I just talked to my friend Marlow who is moving back this year. She suggested using Air Transat. She used them to ship her and her dog here on the same flight with no problem at all.
Really appreciate your comments and will check the links you sent. Air Transat has great prices and the plus of going to Gatwick which might feel a little less intimidating to drive from. I am a good driver, assertive, but driving on the other side of the road after a transatlantic flight gives me the heeby jeebies. Still, lots of time yet and I have to figure out where I am even going.
Thanks again Esme.
just wondering if any of you plan to use a pet carrier? i am hoping to move back to the UK from Toronto this Fall. The stuff that the pets have to go through under the PETS scheme seems brutal. I am thinking of using Ladyhaye has anyone had any experience with them? They also fly into manchester using Thomas Cook which seems less daunting than Heathrow
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:16 pm
Just Joined

postman62 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Esme
Of course there is! It's DEFRA!!!! I was referring to the PET Scheme and dog not ugli fruit and frogs' legs
Ok fair enough point taken you obviously know better than I do, won't bother trying to help again.
Old Mar 4th 2011, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by postman62
Ok fair enough point taken you obviously know better than I do, won't bother trying to help again.
no sure what you guys are talking about!
Old Mar 4th 2011, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by postman62
Sorry, Postman62, didn't mean to insult. You're giving great advice.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 12:10 am
BE Enthusiast

1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold1chumly is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Guinness
just wondering if any of you plan to use a pet carrier? i am hoping to move back to the UK from Toronto this Fall. The stuff that the pets have to go through under the PETS scheme seems brutal. I am thinking of using Ladyhaye has anyone had any experience with them? They also fly into manchester using Thomas Cook which seems less daunting than Heathrow
I don't have any experience with a pet carrier so can't help there I'm afraid but I don't quite understand the brutal bit about DEFRA. I will admit it is a bit of a pain in the a**e but much better than having to put your pet through quarantine for 6 months the other end. It's just a matter of getting all your ducks in a row with the paperwork and I found DEFRA very helpful whenever I called. Don't let it scare you, it really isn't that bad. Just allow yourself plenty of time (about 7 months start to finish) and you will be fine. Good luck.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by 1chumly
I don't have any experience with a pet carrier so can't help there I'm afraid but I don't quite understand the brutal bit about DEFRA. I will admit it is a bit of a pain in the a**e but much better than having to put your pet through quarantine for 6 months the other end. It's just a matter of getting all your ducks in a row with the paperwork and I found DEFRA very helpful whenever I called. Don't let it scare you, it really isn't that bad. Just allow yourself plenty of time (about 7 months start to finish) and you will be fine. Good luck.
Feeling a bit better today. I understand that the airfare is cheaper for a return ticket and in off-peak which is probably when I will be going. Made some calls today to vets and CFIA. Made an appointment for Monday for Hectie to get his microchip and rabies shot. Unfortunately tonight he went out with my son and tore his cruciate so now we have that to deal with.
Air Transat from Vancouver is out... operated by Thomas Cook... no dogs.
Will check BA and Air Canada round trip and keep an eye on other possibilities. I really want him on the same flight as me.
Old Mar 5th 2011, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Feeling a bit better today. I understand that the airfare is cheaper for a return ticket and in off-peak which is probably when I will be going. Made some calls today to vets and CFIA. Made an appointment for Monday for Hectie to get his microchip and rabies shot. Unfortunately tonight he went out with my son and tore his cruciate so now we have that to deal with.
Air Transat from Vancouver is out... operated by Thomas Cook... no dogs.
Will check BA and Air Canada round trip and keep an eye on other possibilities. I really want him on the same flight as me.
Now THAT sounds more positive!
Sounds like BA and AC are good bets - I know I can only use Air Canada from this side of the country. It must be on the DEFRA website (?) what routes you can take and with which carriers
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

We made our bed is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again Esme.
We want to fly back with our 2 dogs from Vancouver to Manchester airport. We also are having a problem finding an airline. We came in 2007 on a Thomas Cook flight from Manchester to Vancouver. Problem is Thomas Cook ( accessable via Canadian Affair) don't ship live pets according to their web site.
We then tried Air Canada but they don't fly pets to Manchester; only to Heathrow. Does anyone have any suggestions.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thomas Cook does fly to Manchester but not sure if they do from Vancouver. I got a quote from Ladayhaye and I can fly with my pets from TO to Manchester using Thomas Cook. Not sure if this helps or not!
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by We made our bed
We want to fly back with our 2 dogs from Vancouver to Manchester airport. We also are having a problem finding an airline. We came in 2007 on a Thomas Cook flight from Manchester to Vancouver. Problem is Thomas Cook ( accessable via Canadian Affair) don't ship live pets according to their web site.
We then tried Air Canada but they don't fly pets to Manchester; only to Heathrow. Does anyone have any suggestions.
If you go the DEFRA website they have a list of recognised routes. You could also try contacting them directly to see what they have to say.
It is different going into and out of Toronto. Air Transat takes pets to Toronto but not Vancouver. I think I may HAVE to fly Air Canada to Heathrow since I have not yet found any other options.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.