British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   transporting dogs back from Canada to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/transporting-dogs-back-canada-uk-707043/)

fatcat65 Feb 26th 2011 6:55 pm

transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

Hi guys,
Does anyone have any details of companies that fly your dogs back to the UK from Canada?

Miss Clinique Feb 26th 2011 7:06 pm

Re: transporting dogs back from Canada to UK

If you can wait until I get back to Canada on Tuesday. I will get you some.

fatcat65 Feb 26th 2011 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Miss Clinique (Post 9203729)
If you can wait until I get back to Canada on Tuesday. I will get you some.

that's great thank you. I keep searching the internet but can't seem to get a quote...i didn't have this problem coming out to canada!

Sammypeeps Feb 26th 2011 11:54 pm

Hey Fatcat,

You should check out the DEFRA website on importing dogs. They have to go by recognized carriers on recognized routes. I believe Air Canada, Britisth Airways and Thomas Cook are recognized but they have to go from certain airports. I have also been trying to research this here is a link to DEFRA
http://www.defra.gov.uk/wildlife-pet...s-longhaul.htm

Good luck

zednought Feb 27th 2011 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by fatcat65 (Post 9203716)
Hi guys,
Does anyone have any details of companies that fly your dogs back to the UK from Canada?

Where in Canada are you? You'll find there aren't that many Canadian animal shippers who'll deal with international flights. You could try Ladyhaye, they'll certainly give you a quote. They're pretty easy to deal with and know all the rules and regs (of which there are many).

sans Feb 27th 2011 8:43 pm

Hi guys,

Their is a company in Calgary called Boomerang.......Didn't use them myself but have heard good reports from others that have..........

Esme Mar 1st 2011 8:57 am

are you not planning on travelling with them?

Why don't you contact your local Canadian Food Inspection Agency vet? I'm taking my dogs with me and I've been plodding through the process on my own, but since someone put me on to my CFIA vet she has been extremely helpful.

Jo

(The countdown is on! 86 days.....):eek:

postman62 Mar 1st 2011 1:07 pm

Hi guys,

We brought our dog back from Canada in October 2010 and we didn't go through a pet travel company, we booked her flight ourselves with Air Canada. The paperwork is a bit of a pain to get right because the canadian vet we used wasn't familiar with exporting pets back to the UK. Defra are really helpful and also I phoned the animal reception at Heathrow Airport who let me email all the forms through to them before she travelled just to confirm that they were correct. We didn't have any problems but if you do organise it yourself be really careful to get the paperwork filled out correctly.

Esme Mar 1st 2011 7:44 pm

Originally Posted by postman62 (Post 9210308)
We brought our dog back from Canada in October 2010 and we didn't go through a pet travel company, we booked her flight ourselves with Air Canada. The paperwork is a bit of a pain to get right because the canadian vet we used wasn't familiar with exporting pets back to the UK. Defra are really helpful and also I phoned the animal reception at Heathrow Airport who let me email all the forms through to them before she travelled just to confirm that they were correct. We didn't have any problems but if you do organise it yourself be really careful to get the paperwork filled out correctly.

That is a GREAT idea about e-mailing the forms through - thanks!!!!!!!!
Anything that helps settle my mind is worth knowing :)

Posidrive Mar 2nd 2011 11:05 am

Hi guys,

We used Boomerang in Calgary. Perfectly happy with them (in fact a one woman company, so perhaps "them" is an exaduration...)

Esme Mar 3rd 2011 9:43 am

ooh, quick question (to those who've brought dogs back to the UK) - what did you do about food? When I brought food to Canada I brought an open bag and they were a bit pissy with me but let me through. The smallest bag of my current dog food is 6lbs - that's a lot of my luggage allowance if I can bring an open bag and half that weight back.

postman62 Mar 3rd 2011 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 9215155)
ooh, quick question (to those who've brought dogs back to the UK) - what did you do about food? When I brought food to Canada I brought an open bag and they were a bit pissy with me but let me through. The smallest bag of my current dog food is 6lbs - that's a lot of my luggage allowance if I can bring an open bag and half that weight back.

I didn't think you could bring food into the country, but I could be wrong, you should contact Defra on that. We didn't feed our dog the day she travelled, just gave her water and of course she had water in the crate. We didn't travel on the same flight as our dog so family picked her up for us and took food to the airport for when they released her from customs.

Esme Mar 3rd 2011 2:51 pm

I don't see why you can't bring a sealed bag in. I don't want to abruptly change my dogs diet (not recommended by dog experts and 2 of mine have dietary issues). I don't know that DEFRA would have knowledge either way but I will contact customs if noone else has any personal experience.

postman62 Mar 3rd 2011 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by Esme (Post 9215664)
I don't see why you can't bring a sealed bag in. I don't want to abruptly change my dogs diet (not recommended by dog experts and 2 of mine have dietary issues). I don't know that DEFRA would have knowledge either way but I will contact customs if noone else has any personal experience.

Actually there is a whole section on the Defra site about importing and exporting animals and food products!!

Esme Mar 3rd 2011 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by postman62 (Post 9216046)
Actually there is a whole section on the Defra site about importing and exporting animals and food products!!

Of course there is! It's DEFRA!!!! I was referring to the PET Scheme and dog not ugli fruit and frogs' legs :rofl: