British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Transporting Dog through Europe (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/transporting-dog-through-europe-837298/)

rosegirl Jun 25th 2014 1:53 am

Transporting Dog through Europe

I believe it is less expensive to take my dog into England by going through Amsterdam than flying directly into Heathrow. Has anyone done this?

happyglow Jun 25th 2014 7:14 am

Re: Transporting Dog through Europe

Yes - we flew into Amsterdam then took trains and ferry to UK. It was quite hard work but a special experience, will never forget sitting little dog on my lap on the last leg of the train journey and feeding him cheese and onion crisps to perk him up.

lgabriel73 Jun 25th 2014 8:40 am

When it comes to your pets then it shouldn't be about the expense it should be about what is the easiest way for them. The flight is going to be a stressful ordeal for them then you want to drag them on ferrys etc. Get the direct flight and get them to the other side as quick as possible and lessen the stress.

happyglow Jun 25th 2014 8:47 am

Originally Posted by lgabriel73 (Post 11314615)
When it comes to your pets then it shouldn't be about the expense it should be about what is the easiest way for them. The flight is going to be a stressful ordeal for them then you want to drag them on ferrys etc. Get the direct flight and get them to the other side as quick as possible and lessen the stress.

Agreed in principle BUT for my little dog this was the least stressful way - flying and airports cut to a minimum, and he enjoyed the social aspects of the remaining public transport bits. I, on the other hand, was knackered :p

rosegirl Jun 25th 2014 12:06 pm

Once in Amsterdam, how do you then get to the UK?

happyglow Jun 25th 2014 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by rosegirl (Post 11314812)
Once in Amsterdam, how do you then get to the UK?

train to Hoek van Holland, then Stena Line ferry for us, but of course there are endless permutations.

rosegirl Jun 25th 2014 2:41 pm

Where do you go through immigration when coming from Amsterdam to England?

happyglow Jun 25th 2014 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by rosegirl (Post 11314966)
Where do you go through immigration when coming from Amsterdam to England?

We did it at Hoek van Holland ferry terminal; they were very efficient and quick. When we got to the UK we walked straight through.

Janelle Jun 26th 2014 7:04 am

We brought our cat to UK last summer from Hawaii. We flew Honolulu - Chicago - Brussels. Once at Brussels we had to collect Marmalade from the United Cargo office. There is a free airport bus, but I remember some confusion over exactly where this office was. Anyway we found it in the end. Then you have to take your paperwork to Belgian customs office across the street to be stamped. United charged a fee for transporting the cat from the aircraft to their cargo office (eros 68), after that we were allowed to take him. Next we took the train from the airport to Bruge, then a taxi to the ferry terminal at Zeebrugge and overnight to Hull. It went very smoothly and we enjoyed the trip. Our cat had a huge kennel on the ferry, but there are only a limited number of kennels so book as far a head as you can. Only certain ferries take foot passengers with pets.
There are only certain DEFRA approved routes for arriving in the UK from overseas. Read this document www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners Right at the back is a link to a 2 page document which lists the approved routes by sea and rail. Your pet does his immigration check before they let you on the train or ferry.

rosegirl Jun 26th 2014 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Janelle (Post 11315725)
We brought our cat to UK last summer from Hawaii. We flew Honolulu - Chicago - Brussels. Once at Brussels we had to collect Marmalade from the United Cargo office. There is a free airport bus, but I remember some confusion over exactly where this office was. Anyway we found it in the end. Then you have to take your paperwork to Belgian customs office across the street to be stamped. United charged a fee for transporting the cat from the aircraft to their cargo office (eros 68), after that we were allowed to take him. Next we took the train from the airport to Bruge, then a taxi to the ferry terminal at Zeebrugge and overnight to Hull. It went very smoothly and we enjoyed the trip. Our cat had a huge kennel on the ferry, but there are only a limited number of kennels so book as far a head as you can. Only certain ferries take foot passengers with pets.
There are only certain DEFRA approved routes for arriving in the UK from overseas. Read this document www.gov.uk/pet-travel-information-for-pet-owners Right at the back is a link to a 2 page document which lists the approved routes by sea and rail. Your pet does his immigration check before they let you on the train or ferry.

Glad you all made it to the UK!

Did you find the train, taxi and ferry fares to be expensive? Just wondering if you saved money overall from flying directly into the UK.

Janelle Jun 27th 2014 6:00 am

Hi Rosegirl,
The train from Brussels airport to Bruge was about £20, no charge for pets. We did not book ahead. Trains are frequent, but we did have to change trains in Brussels. Maybe there are through trains.
The taxi fare from Bruge to Zeebrugge ferry terminal is an official fixed rate at 50 euros. There are plenty of taxis outside the station. When we arrived at Brussels, we got cash euros out of the ATM and paid for the train and the taxi from that. We also bought kitty litter in a supermarket right outside the station, of course with a dog you won't have that issue.
Overnight ferry to Hull for 2 people in a cabin plus one kennel was £221. I'm sure shorter ferry routes will be cheaper than that. If your dog is small you should be able to manage him with your luggage. We travelled to Hull because we were heading to the north east of England. Hope this helps.

windsong Jul 2nd 2014 2:35 pm

Taking my dogs right into the UK and bypassing Europe. Much easier on them - and me, I think.