transformers question.

Old May 17th 2004, 6:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute
Default transformers question.

We are taking a couple of things back to Uk and will need a transformer... Have found a couple that are suficient for our needs...

Question....

A couple of the ones we saw have a note that says.....

Note: This unit needs to be hardwired by an electrician for customized use.

Anyone understand what it means? Mostly this was on the higher wattage models...

Oh...... Forgot.....

Would we be better to buy a converter in USA with a UK plug adapter..... OR... buy one in UK on our return?

Thank you to all you electical wizards out there... Plus the ones who blew up their stuff and found out too late, but know better now....

(Hoping not to know better too late)
Old May 17th 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Well I found the answer myself, after a bit of searching and a handy Email..

here is what t said for anyone needing the info also...

> We are moving from California USA to London UK... Taking computers and
> refridgerator with us.... We looked at the ATVR8000..... 8000 Watt
> Step Up and Down ransformer/Regulator/Stabilizer. It says that
> hardwiring is needed to be done by a professional..... Can you tell us
> what this means... Also will the device has a USA plug or a UK
> one..... Thank you in advance.

Hello Sir, ( Thought I was a man. LOL)

Unless you know what your doing you will to have to hire an electrician to wire it in to your home's power supply. If you do not wish to do this buy a smaller model like the 5k which is a plug and play, no special wiring is required. Buy 2 of them instead of one 8k model. Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns.

Thank You,

Peter P.
http://www.world-import.com
Within the USA call 877-220-8658
Outside the USA call 847-455-1974

Please note our warehouse and showroom address:
World Gift Center
9617 West Grand Ave
Franklin Park, IL. 60131

We are your source for Multi System TVs, VCRs, DVD players, GSM Phones, voltage transformers and more for the past 22 years

Still wasnt' sure about the plug, but saw they sell the adapter to UK type.

Old May 17th 2004, 10:24 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

Honeymommy -

Why not check with the American expats living in the UK on their forums?

Surely some of them have already taken their US stuff to England - perhaps there is a section on their website about this very issue?

http://www.americanexpats.co.uk

(On the other hand, if you live near a Borders or Barnes & Noble etc. you might come across a book for expats moving to the UK called "Living and Working in Britain" by David Hampshire. (I have his book on expats moving to the US). It will almost certainly cover this issue too, I once couldn't resist looking through it when I spotted one in a bookshop once....I guess you could buy the book, take out the info you need then take it back for a refund LOL. )
Old May 18th 2004, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Thanks I will definately check out the book...

I registered on the american expats forum, but they have a $15 subscription fee... Can't do that right now as a little short...

Can see the forum though, even says info on transformers... LOL...

Well maybe next week....

Thanks anyway.
Old May 18th 2004, 11:53 am
Forum Regular

bcl74 is on a distinguished road

Hi there, as you said hard wiring was for higher wattage models, it will probably mean that in the uk plugs are fused at 13amps max so will not support your big tranny, hard wiring will go directly into the mains consumer unit
Now be aware that socket circuits are fused at 32amps so if you do plug in 2 smaller transformers you may still overload the circuit depending on what else you have plugged into the ring main

hope this helps

Brian
Old May 18th 2004, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks so much....

So if I use 1 transformer for the fridge and 1 for the other stuff and plug them into seperate sockets without anything else pluged into it, will that be OK ya think?

Still have to pull the frige out to see what wattage I will need, but it's too heavy for me to do alone... LOL

Thanks for the info....
Old May 19th 2004, 8:45 am
Forum Regular

bcl74 is on a distinguished road

You will soon find out if its ok or not when everything is working at the same time LOL

If you need anymore info let me know as im an electrician

Brian
Old May 19th 2004, 2:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hahahahahah... Good one..

Thanks for the info...

I just have to hope I don't start a new thread in here in a couple of months then, headed.....

How to blow up a US fridge in the UK!!!