Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

transferring money back to the UK

transferring money back to the UK

Old Sep 19th 2016, 9:42 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: transferring money back to the UK

Originally Posted by scot47
You could do it the Third World Way. Get all your money in used dollar bills, put it in a suitcase and dly to your destination.

A poster here did that when emigrating to Canada and was surprised when he got a telling off from some irascible posters here.
The police in the UK have the power to confiscate large sums of cash and then force you to go to court if you want to claim it back. There is a BE member who was a cop at Heathrow who has direct experience of such actions - it really does happen. It isn't only at immigration/ customs either, it could be anywhere, even a traffic stop if they find you have £50,000 in the boot.

At very least there is the cost and inconvenience of going to court to get it back, but there is no guarantee that you will get it back. In this day and age there are too many risks to carrying large amounts of cash, so just don't do it!
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I should have put on those warning signs for IRONY ALERT

I was trying to tell people NOT to do it the way the poster called Khan did it.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 12:54 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. I should have put on those warning signs for IRONY ALERT

I was trying to tell people NOT to do it the way the poster called Khan did it.
I recognized the irony, but I always worry that (i) some may not, and (ii) some don't think the risks are real, they think you're over-egging it.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 1:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-881086/page3/

This poster was upset at my irony too. It is figurative language that does not always go down well with Americans - or Pathans.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:06 pm
Forum Regular

MinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond repute

I could--but I wonder what they would make of that as I went through security? Might make for rather more interest than I'm up for.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by MinMax
I could--but I wonder what they would make of that as I went through security? Might make for rather more interest than I'm up for.
See post #16 above. I was not joking.
Old Sep 19th 2016, 8:05 pm
Forum Regular

MinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond reputeMinMax has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
See post #16 above. I was not joking.
I fully realise that. i did think the suggestion was off the wall. What if i left the suitcase in the loo??????
Old Sep 19th 2016, 11:58 pm

Originally Posted by MinMax
.... What if i left the suitcase in the loo??????
Too bad. ...... Although these days I suspect that the greatest risk would probably be that it would be taken away by security and blown up!
Old Sep 20th 2016, 12:31 am
Forum Regular

yes, and that would be a bit of a shame--the end of my little house by the sea.
Old Sep 22nd 2016, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...-881086/page3/

This poster was upset at my irony too. It is figurative language that does not always go down well with Americans - or Pathans.