British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Transferring Australian green P plates to uk license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/transferring-australian-green-p-plates-uk-license-872536/)

Leigh04 Feb 15th 2016 8:10 pm

Transferring Australian green P plates to uk license

Hi people

I've done some research online but have not got very far, with various mixed answers

Does anyone know equivalent of a green p plate Australian license? Some say you go straight to a full uk license? Others say you have to start again.

Many thanks

SanDiegogirl Feb 15th 2016 8:32 pm

Re: Transferring Australian green P plates to uk license

What is a green p plate?

Pulaski Feb 15th 2016 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl (Post 11868513)
What is a green p plate?

A provisional P2 licence (commonly known as Ps and Greens) is gained after one year and successful completion of a computerised hazard perception test.[6]The driver is restricted to a speed limit of 100 km/h, a zero alcohol limit and a maximum of seven demerit points; however, they are eligible to upgrade the class of their licence, such as those for heavier vehicles. P2 drivers must conspicuously display a green-on-white "P-plate" on the exterior of the vehicle at all times. P2 drivers must hold the licence for two years before progressing to the next stage.[6]
It's a sort of provisional licence. I don't see how that could possibly be exchanged for a full UK licence.

spouse of scouse Feb 15th 2016 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Leigh04 (Post 11868492)
Hi people

I've done some research online but have not got very far, with various mixed answers

Does anyone know equivalent of a green p plate Australian license? Some say you go straight to a full uk license? Others say you have to start again.

Many thanks

Best to ask DVLA direct https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

Alfresco Feb 15th 2016 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11868520)
It's a sort of provisional licence. I don't see how that could possibly be exchanged for a full UK licence.

It is in fact a full drivers licence as the same (similar) tests have been passed as in the UK - theory, hazard perception and driving test.

It is just a restriction after having passed your driving test to warn other drivers that they are new drivers etc...

I personally don't see any reason why it can't be exchanged for UK car licence.

https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-...tain/australia

Pulaski Feb 15th 2016 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11868582)
It is in fact the a full drivers licence as the same (similar) tests have been passed as in the UK - theory, hazard perception and driving test.

It is just a restriction after having passed your driving test to warn other drivers that they are new drivers etc...

I personally don't see any reason why it can't be exchanged for UK car licence.

It that's the case then yes. What I found, quoted above, made it sound like only limited tests had been completed.

Alfresco Feb 15th 2016 10:09 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11868584)
It that's the case then yes. What I found, quoted above, made it sound like only limited tests had been completed.

Yeah, the word 'provisional' makes it sound like that. :thumbup:

Bermudashorts Feb 16th 2016 4:42 am

Originally Posted by Leigh04 (Post 11868492)
Hi people

Many thanks

There is no equivalent. In the UK you have either passed or not passed the driving test. In the UK, learners are on a provisional licence which obviously means something very different, so you might want to avoid using that terminology when you try to swap it, just in case.

Alfresco Feb 16th 2016 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11868786)
There is no equivalent. In the UK you have either passed or not passed the driving test. In the UK, learners are on a provisional licence which obviously means something very different, so you might want to avoid using that terminology when you try to swap it, just in case.

Yes, indeed. :nod:

mikelincs Feb 16th 2016 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts (Post 11868786)

New drivers in the UK have to use those sort of plates for a while after passing their tests..

spouse of scouse Feb 16th 2016 9:43 pm

Best to ask DVLA direct https://www.gov.uk/contact-the-dvla

Alfresco Feb 16th 2016 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by mikelincs (Post 11869681)
New drivers in the UK have to use those sort of plates for a while after passing their tests..

Do you have a link for that please? I can't seem to find it.

Pulaski Feb 16th 2016 10:00 pm

New drivers in the UK have to use those sort of plates for a while after passing their tests. ....

Originally Posted by Alfresco (Post 11869686)
Do you have a link for that please? I can't seem to find it.

Mike is mistaken. P-plates in the UK are entirely voluntary, and I don't recall seeing any when I was in the UK in 2014 and 2015 (about 4 weeks total, and driving daily).

Pollyana Feb 17th 2016 4:30 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 11869700)
Mike is mistaken. P-plates in the UK are entirely voluntary, and I don't recall seeing any when I was in the UK in 2014 and 2015 (about 4 weeks total, and driving daily).

Agreed.
My niece passed her test fairly recently in the UK and there was no legal obligation to use P plates. Its a voluntary thing there to make people aware you are a new driver -unlike Australia were its a legal requirement.

Bermudashorts Feb 17th 2016 6:18 am

Nope don't think so. There are some entirely voluntary P plates that some learners will use just as a signal to other drivers. But it is nothing "official" and it is definitely not compulsory. I remember I used them myself because I was not a confident driver.