Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Transfer of university credits

Transfer of university credits

Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute
Default Transfer of university credits

Hi all

Has anyone started a degree in Australia and successfully transferred credits over in order to complete it in the UK? I am in my first semester of a Bachelor of Journalism at the University of Queensland. It will probably be a couple of years before we are able to move - fingers crossed - so I would need to transfer two years worth of credits to finish the degree in Kent. Has anyone done this, or would it be better to complete things here?

Another issue is I've spoken with my head of school (who's a Pom) about the validity of an Aus degree in UK if I were to complete here. He said I would need to do an honours here (four years) for it to be the equivalent of the standard three year degree in UK. His own son has gone back to uni in UK, which I think speaks volumes LOL! I have enquired with Canterbury Uni and they can't give me an answer, I have to go through the whole rigmarol with the admissions board once I have actually completed the credits. Just wondering if anyone has any experience/advice. Thank you!
Old Aug 12th 2007, 3:57 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of university credits

Originally Posted by rabsody
Hi all

Has anyone started a degree in Australia and successfully transferred credits over in order to complete it in the UK? I am in my first semester of a Bachelor of Journalism at the University of Queensland. It will probably be a couple of years before we are able to move - fingers crossed - so I would need to transfer two years worth of credits to finish the degree in Kent. Has anyone done this, or would it be better to complete things here?
Two principles to bear in mind:

1. Most, if not all, qualifications lose some "value" when taken across national borders; and
2. Incomplete qualifications lose much more value than complete ones.

University of Queensland is a good university. You should consider remaining there until at least you can get a bachelors degree.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:18 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Has anyone started a degree in Australia and successfully transferred credits over in order to complete it in the UK? I am in my first semester of a Bachelor of Journalism at the University of Queensland. It will probably be a couple of years before we are able to move - fingers crossed - so I would need to transfer two years worth of credits to finish the degree in Kent.
I think it might be difficult to transfer because UK degree courses tends to follow a specific curriculum which might not tie in with what you are doing now.

Also, you'd probably be charged international fees
Old Aug 12th 2007, 9:01 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
I think it might be difficult to transfer because UK degree courses tends to follow a specific curriculum which might not tie in with what you are doing now.

Also, you'd probably be charged international fees
Originally Posted by JAJ
Two principles to bear in mind:

1. Most, if not all, qualifications lose some "value" when taken across national borders; and
2. Incomplete qualifications lose much more value than complete ones.

University of Queensland is a good university. You should consider remaining there until at least you can get a bachelors degree.
Thank you both for taking the time to respond. Hmmm, that's a shame, it looks like it will be in my best interests to finish the three years. Anyway, given me some food for thought, thanks.
Old Aug 12th 2007, 6:31 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked into whether the Australian college has an affiliate college in Kent? Or somewhere else in the UK? If you find that they do, see if the course you are enrolled in can sort out a program that means your last year is finished in the UK but your degree is still from Australia. That way you don't lose too much on the work you put in.

If this doesn't work, try the colleges in the Uk and work backwards doing the same thing the other way.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ben
Have you looked into whether the Australian college has an affiliate college in Kent? Or somewhere else in the UK? If you find that they do, see if the course you are enrolled in can sort out a program that means your last year is finished in the UK but your degree is still from Australia. That way you don't lose too much on the work you put in.

If this doesn't work, try the colleges in the Uk and work backwards doing the same thing the other way.

Thanks Ben, that is a great suggestion! I will look into it
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:39 am
Account Closed

Serenity is an unknown quantity at this point

Finish the degree!!! I moved to a new country after 2 years of a 3 year degree and it was the biggest regret of my life, another year is not too much in the grand scheme of things although at the time it can seem like a huge deal. I am only now, 10 years later, actually going to be getting a degree sometime soon... well, part-time in another couple of years.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Serenity
Finish the degree!!! I moved to a new country after 2 years of a 3 year degree and it was the biggest regret of my life, another year is not too much in the grand scheme of things although at the time it can seem like a huge deal. I am only now, 10 years later, actually going to be getting a degree sometime soon... well, part-time in another couple of years.
Thank you for your advice and honesty Serenity. I'm just struggling here and if I could I would be back like a shot! The thought of another three years here kills me

Good luck with getting that degree!
Old Aug 13th 2007, 1:12 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Ben, that is a great suggestion! I will look into it
If it looks as though it isn't possible, don't give up looking into it. It is amazing what you can find out and work through with just a bit of common sense.

If you look as though you are getting nowhere, see how many transfer credits they will accept - Then find out what classes they will accept from the UK university. You should be able to get something in writing that tells you what classes are offered and what is studied in each. What you would basically be doing is setting up your courses in such a way that your degree requirement are fulfilled but you do the legwork yourself.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 3:13 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
If it looks as though it isn't possible, don't give up looking into it. It is amazing what you can find out and work through with just a bit of common sense.

If you look as though you are getting nowhere, see how many transfer credits they will accept - Then find out what classes they will accept from the UK university. You should be able to get something in writing that tells you what classes are offered and what is studied in each. What you would basically be doing is setting up your courses in such a way that your degree requirement are fulfilled but you do the legwork yourself.
Can he afford the international fees though...
Old Aug 13th 2007, 4:15 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Elvira
Can he afford the international fees though...
That is certainly a concern, I'm sure, for the OP and something she needs to look into if she actually manages to find a way to do this.

Sometimes if you do these things through the actual college where your degree is being awarded, you don't pay international fees - you end up paying the same rate as you would pay if you were staying at the original college. I'm not saying that this would definitely be the case but it is certainly worth looking into.

Many colleges do exchanges and actively encourage their students to venture to other countries. I know in this case it is different, but the principle, as far as the college is concerned, is still the same. As long as the degree program approves it and awards the degree then it is worth the legwork involved, especially with the OP really wanting to go back home.
Old Aug 13th 2007, 9:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ben
That is certainly a concern, I'm sure, for the OP and something she needs to look into if she actually manages to find a way to do this.

Sometimes if you do these things through the actual college where your degree is being awarded, you don't pay international fees - you end up paying the same rate as you would pay if you were staying at the original college. I'm not saying that this would definitely be the case but it is certainly worth looking into.

Many colleges do exchanges and actively encourage their students to venture to other countries. I know in this case it is different, but the principle, as far as the college is concerned, is still the same. As long as the degree program approves it and awards the degree then it is worth the legwork involved, especially with the OP really wanting to go back home.
Hi Ben

Yes, I looked into it yesterday while I was at uni, UQ do an exchange program for up to two semesters. My nearest would be City University in London. You simply pay your domestic uni fees to your existing provider but with an additional admin type fee on top. So it definitely does sound do-able. They had talked about it in our induction and they are all for it, but I had forgotten about that option, so thanks for refreshing my memory!

Cheers
Faye
Old Aug 13th 2007, 10:33 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Hi Ben

Yes, I looked into it yesterday while I was at uni, UQ do an exchange program for up to two semesters. My nearest would be City University in London. You simply pay your domestic uni fees to your existing provider but with an additional admin type fee on top. So it definitely does sound do-able. They had talked about it in our induction and they are all for it, but I had forgotten about that option, so thanks for refreshing my memory!

Cheers
Faye
You are very welcome. I hope it works out well