British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Transfer of Residence (ToR) - Listing Items (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/transfer-residence-tor-listing-items-947379/)

Boldilocks Mar 10th 2023 3:38 pm

Transfer of Residence (ToR) - Listing Items

I looked at and commented on a few the people's threads about this, but figured I'd start one here in case people don't come back to look at posts they made ages ago. Hopefully their moves are distant memories and the stress of it all has faded - I have no wish to bring it all back, LOL.

It's just me and my daughter moving from US to UK. No furniture to speak of, no cars, no pets. Just a lot of boxes, really.

I'm from the UK (Northern Ireland) and have my British and Irish passports so can live and work there without visas. My daughter was born here but also has her British and Irish passports. I'll be staying at my dad's when we arrive - I have a bank account (statements) in my name going to that address and my UK driving licence with that address. I have utility bills and mortgage statements from my US address. So I look to be good for all that stuff.

I'm just getting stuck on listing items. It's hard to gauge because we haven't packed yet. Do you have to get really specific with individual items, or can you go by number of boxes? I've seen website offering tips doing it both ways.

The attached pic is kind of what I'm doing and will build on - does that seem OK?

Also, is it better to overestimate numbers of boxes/items rather than underestimate?

How fast do I need to get this sent to HMRC?

Last question - it says items had to have been owned and used for 6 months. Well, my daughter and I like a very specific type of memory foam mattress, and they come vacuum-packed and rolled up, easy to move, and are dirt cheap over here. I was just going to get us new mattresses and put them in the storage unit (where all our items are being picked up from). Is that a no-no, as obviously they are brand new, and I won't be able to show that I bought them 6 months ago? Is it better just to suck it up and get new (untested, eek) mattresses once we get home rather than flag any kind of issues with customs?

Also, I want to thank whoever it was that let me know I would need to do this additional paperwork on the original thread I started about shipping companies! I'll look at who it was and come back and tag them. I really, really owe you one! This has been so stressful, I'm at the very tail end of sorting out the shipping, trying to get a separation agreement done with my soon-to-be ex, trying to complete my Master's, trying to get schools sorted out for my daughter, and job applications sorted for me (if anyone knows good agencies for social workers in Northern Ireland, let me know!!) - and now we have brought the move forward from July to May 30th because my lovely, amazing wee mum died suddenly on Feb 14th. I'm a mess, she was my best friend. Couldn't go to the funeral as I'd just completed my US citizenship the previous week and my passport is in the works - you have to fly in on a US passport if you're a citizen. (Incidentally, I only did the citizenship thing because US citizens living overseas - which I will be - have a loophole to defer paying back student loans indefinitely if they're earning less than $110,000 in a foreign currency, and as a social worker I sure will be. If this info could be useful to anyone else send me a PM and I'll share, because student loans are a killer over here!) Anyway, having this ToR stuff thrown at me unexpectedly at the last minute may well have just finished me off - so I'm very grateful for the knowledge base here.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0856b6acb7.png

Pollyana Mar 10th 2023 9:18 pm

Re: Transfer of Residence (ToR) - Listing Items

Originally Posted by Boldilocks (Post 13178742)
I looked at and commented on a few the people's threads about this, but figured I'd start one here in case people don't come back to look at posts they made ages ago. Hopefully their moves are distant memories and the stress of it all has faded - I have no wish to bring it all back, LOL.

It's just me and my daughter moving from US to UK. No furniture to speak of, no cars, no pets. Just a lot of boxes, really.

I'm from the UK (Northern Ireland) and have my British and Irish passports so can live and work there without visas. My daughter was born here but also has her British and Irish passports. I'll be staying at my dad's when we arrive - I have a bank account (statements) in my name going to that address and my UK driving licence with that address. I have utility bills and mortgage statements from my US address. So I look to be good for all that stuff.

All that sounds fine. Proof of where you are moving to, and where from.

I'm just getting stuck on listing items. It's hard to gauge because we haven't packed yet. Do you have to get really specific with individual items, or can you go by number of boxes? I've seen website offering tips doing it both ways.

The attached pic is kind of what I'm doing and will build on - does that seem OK?

Also, is it better to overestimate numbers of boxes/items rather than underestimate?

I know I answered you on the other thread, but it won't hurt to answer here too!
Yes that kind of list looks fine, very similar to mine. I probably over-estimated rather than under, but I don't think it needs to be exact. I built the list on an excel sheet and just sent them a pdf of it.

How fast do I need to get this sent to HMRC?

I was told be my shippers that they could send the shipment without it, but they would need the TOR Approval Number before the boxes arrive on the UK. I applied in early January, expecting a long wait, but the approval came through in about 3-4 days - I wasn't even shipping the stuff till mid February :D

Last question - it says items had to have been owned and used for 6 months. Well, my daughter and I like a very specific type of memory foam mattress, and they come vacuum-packed and rolled up, easy to move, and are dirt cheap over here. I was just going to get us new mattresses and put them in the storage unit (where all our items are being picked up from). Is that a no-no, as obviously they are brand new, and I won't be able to show that I bought them 6 months ago? Is it better just to suck it up and get new (untested, eek) mattresses once we get home rather than flag any kind of issues with customs?

All I can say is what I did with a few things - a flat pack bookcase, and sheepskin rugs, plus a few food items - the food I listed as Sauces - 8 bottles (unopened), the bookcase was (new, still in box) and the rugs I just rolled and unrolled a few times and listed them just as Rugs - 3.
The shippers are a company called Chess, well used to dealing with TORs and they didn't question anything. Hasnt arrived in the UK yet, but the people approving the TOR must have seen the list, and didn't query it.

Also, I want to thank whoever it was that let me know I would need to do this additional paperwork on the original thread I started about shipping companies! I'll look at who it was and come back and tag them. I really, really owe you one! This has been so stressful, I'm at the very tail end of sorting out the shipping, trying to get a separation agreement done with my soon-to-be ex, trying to complete my Master's, trying to get schools sorted out for my daughter, and job applications sorted for me (if anyone knows good agencies for social workers in Northern Ireland, let me know!!) - and now we have brought the move forward from July to May 30th because my lovely, amazing wee mum died suddenly on Feb 14th. I'm a mess, she was my best friend. Couldn't go to the funeral as I'd just completed my US citizenship the previous week and my passport is in the works - you have to fly in on a US passport if you're a citizen. (Incidentally, I only did the citizenship thing because US citizens living overseas - which I will be - have a loophole to defer paying back student loans indefinitely if they're earning less than $110,000 in a foreign currency, and as a social worker I sure will be. If this info could be useful to anyone else send me a PM and I'll share, because student loans are a killer over here!) Anyway, having this ToR stuff thrown at me unexpectedly at the last minute may well have just finished me off - so I'm very grateful for the knowledge base here.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...0856b6acb7.png

I hope it works out ok for you. I stressed for weeks over the TOR side of it, but the actual application went really smoothly.
You'll need to upload all the evidence one document at a time, so make sure you have everything scanned and ready to go, and allow yourself a couple of hours in case you get stuck on anything. Its pretty straightforward, you can save it and come back later if necessary, and with all the stuff you listed above you should have everything required.

Good luck :)

Boldilocks Mar 10th 2023 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13178867)
All that sounds fine. Proof of where you are moving to, and where from.

I know I answered you on the other thread, but it won't hurt to answer here too!
Yes that kind of list looks fine, very similar to mine. I probably over-estimated rather than under, but I don't think it needs to be exact. I built the list on an excel sheet and just sent them a pdf of it.

I was told be my shippers that they could send the shipment without it, but they would need the TOR Approval Number before the boxes arrive on the UK. I applied in early January, expecting a long wait, but the approval came through in about 3-4 days - I wasn't even shipping the stuff till mid February :D

All I can say is what I did with a few things - a flat pack bookcase, and sheepskin rugs, plus a few food items - the food I listed as Sauces - 8 bottles (unopened), the bookcase was (new, still in box) and the rugs I just rolled and unrolled a few times and listed them just as Rugs - 3.
The shippers are a company called Chess, well used to dealing with TORs and they didn't question anything. Hasnt arrived in the UK yet, but the people approving the TOR must have seen the list, and didn't query it.

I hope it works out ok for you. I stressed for weeks over the TOR side of it, but the actual application went really smoothly.
You'll need to upload all the evidence one document at a time, so make sure you have everything scanned and ready to go, and allow yourself a couple of hours in case you get stuck on anything. Its pretty straightforward, you can save it and come back later if necessary, and with all the stuff you listed above you should have everything required.

Good luck :)

Thank you so much for taking the time with all of this! I feel much better about it all!

Pollyana Mar 11th 2023 6:57 am

Originally Posted by Boldilocks (Post 13178874)
Thank you so much for taking the time with all of this! I feel much better about it all!

No problem. I got help on here when I first tackled the shole shipping-back issue, so glad to pass on anything I can.

Feel free to ask anything else and I'll try and help :)

Chocolate eclair Apr 12th 2023 11:24 pm

Thanks for starting this thread Boldilocks and for your contributions Pollyana. Having sold the house finally, we have the packers coming in in mid-May. I'm trying to decide how much detail to go into. We'll have a 20 ft container on our return.
So much to sort out, including the shipping insurance.
​​​out.But very happy it's happening at last.

Pollyana Apr 12th 2023 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair (Post 13185970)
Thanks for starting this thread Boldilocks and for your contributions Pollyana. Having sold the house finally, we have the packers coming in in mid-May. I'm trying to decide how much detail to go into. We'll have a 20 ft container on our return.
So much to sort out, including the shipping insurance.
​​​out.But very happy it's happening at last.

As I've said above, my list was very basic, and they didn't query it at all.
What I did do alongside was a more detailed list for my own reference so that when I have a mountain of boxes here, I know what the actual contents is and which ones to unpack first!..

Regarding insurance, the shipping company gave me an astronomical quote, so I took the advice of many people who have posted on here over the years, and went with Letton Percival. Far more reasonable.

Chocolate eclair Apr 12th 2023 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13185973)
As I've said above, my list was very basic, and they didn't query it at all.
What I did do alongside was a more detailed list for my own reference so that when I have a mountain of boxes here, I know what the actual contents is and which ones to unpack first!..

Regarding insurance, the shipping company gave me an astronomical quote, so I took the advice of many people who have posted on here over the years, and went with Letton Percival. Far more reasonable.

Thanks so much. I'm tending to over think everything! Very useful tip there.
ything.We are going to look at Letton Percival over the next few days, as the Crown quote is astronomical.
Hope you've settled back into Blighty life well x.

Boldilocks Apr 16th 2023 2:39 pm

Wanted to add an update in case it helps anyone - as so many of the posts here have helped me out.

Our move it set for 30th May, with pickup of our stuff on the 26th. After several quotes and talking with different agents, have gone with Earth Relocation. Our shipment isn't huge (no furniture items to speak of), so the quote for 200 cubic feet is $2895, and $205 for insurance which brings it to $3100. I fully expect there to be additional fees, and have budgeted $5000 total - will update once the items have been picked up and price is finalised.

The only negatives I really read about this company is that the stuff takes about 3 months to arrive - but I actually prefer that as I'll be staying temporarily at my parents' then getting my own place. The address they have is my mum's, but if I get my own place while our things are en route they will take it there instead no problem.

I submitted my ToR paperwork yesterday - again, will update with how long it takes and if there are any issues. Something that helped TREMENDOUSLY was an app called Moving Boxes. I colour-coded the rooms and listed the items that go in each room, then numbered the boxes for each room and listed the contents. You can add pictures instead of typing too. I put in the measurements of my boxes and other items, and it does a volume calculation for you, so you know if you're getting close to your limit. It also produces an inventory in pdf and csv forms. I saved mine as an excel sheet and that's what I forwarded for my ToR application, and to the shipping company. For unpacking, you can also print off QR codes that can be put on the boxes so you can scan the contents. It's a free app, but you have to pay $1.99 if your inventory list goes over 20 items, so I paid that.

Anyway, I'm feeling more confident about things now. Still have some packing to do, but have everything pretty much done except last minute things like my PC and Playstation. My daughter hasn't started yet, but that's teenagers for you. I have boxes allocated to her and listed, not much more I can do until closer to the time - when I'll probably just do it for her and nothing will be where she wanted it to be packed, LOL.

Boldilocks Apr 24th 2023 2:41 pm

Wanted to update again - my ToR was approved today and I got my URN for shipping my goods. So all very quick and painless, and that app I mentioned above really made it so easy.

One more hurdle jumped!

durham_lad Apr 24th 2023 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by Boldilocks (Post 13188537)
Wanted to update again - my ToR was approved today and I got my URN for shipping my goods. So all very quick and painless, and that app I mentioned above really made it so easy.

One more hurdle jumped!

excellent, thanks for the update.

pollybegoode Apr 29th 2023 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by Boldilocks (Post 13186735)
Wanted to add an update in case it helps anyone - as so many of the posts here have helped me out.

Our move it set for 30th May, with pickup of our stuff on the 26th. After several quotes and talking with different agents, have gone with Earth Relocation. Our shipment isn't huge (no furniture items to speak of), so the quote for 200 cubic feet is $2895, and $205 for insurance which brings it to $3100. I fully expect there to be additional fees, and have budgeted $5000 total - will update once the items have been picked up and price is finalised.

The only negatives I really read about this company is that the stuff takes about 3 months to arrive - but I actually prefer that as I'll be staying temporarily at my parents' then getting my own place. The address they have is my mum's, but if I get my own place while our things are en route they will take it there instead no problem.

I submitted my ToR paperwork yesterday - again, will update with how long it takes and if there are any issues. Something that helped TREMENDOUSLY was an app called Moving Boxes. I colour-coded the rooms and listed the items that go in each room, then numbered the boxes for each room and listed the contents. You can add pictures instead of typing too. I put in the measurements of my boxes and other items, and it does a volume calculation for you, so you know if you're getting close to your limit. It also produces an inventory in pdf and csv forms. I saved mine as an excel sheet and that's what I forwarded for my ToR application, and to the shipping company. For unpacking, you can also print off QR codes that can be put on the boxes so you can scan the contents. It's a free app, but you have to pay $1.99 if your inventory list goes over 20 items, so I paid that.

Anyway, I'm feeling more confident about things now. Still have some packing to do, but have everything pretty much done except last minute things like my PC and Playstation. My daughter hasn't started yet, but that's teenagers for you. I have boxes allocated to her and listed, not much more I can do until closer to the time - when I'll probably just do it for her and nothing will be where she wanted it to be packed, LOL.

good morning, first of all congratulations. There are so many moving parts with shipping our lives back to the U.K. it’s great to hear your story, and this post is incredibly helpful to me!I have one question for you about The moving boxes app you used. We are trying to figure out whether we need one small container or two to ship our items back to the UK. If I add the dimensions of the container and the size of the boxes and items, will this app help me figure out when I have filled up the container?
thanks in advance!

Chocolate eclair May 5th 2023 4:31 am

Our TOR1 came through this morning, so that's a relief.
Thank you for all the advice given on this thread. Made it so much easier and less stressful.

Pollyana May 5th 2023 8:33 am

Originally Posted by Chocolate eclair (Post 13190638)
Our TOR1 came through this morning, so that's a relief.
Thank you for all the advice given on this thread. Made it so much easier and less stressful.

Great news!
Good luck with the next steps!

durham_lad May 5th 2023 11:19 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 13190672)
Great news!
Good luck with the next steps!

+1