British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Transfer of Residence form (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/transfer-residence-form-941613/)

sona90 Nov 17th 2021 10:09 pm

Transfer of Residence form

Hi all! Just joined and hope you can help. We are retiring back to the UK from the US after living here for 35 years and the problem is the ToR form. I thought the movers completed the inventory and submitted but apparently not. The big stuff is not the issue but how are personal mementos/keepsakes/seasonal decorations listed. Is every single item that is being shipped need to be listed? The ToR information page is not helpful. We have culled as much as possible but still moving 40 years of marriage stuff.
Thanks for any help

durham_lad Nov 18th 2021 12:29 pm

Re: Transfer of Residence form

Originally Posted by sona90 (Post 13072977)
Hi all! Just joined and hope you can help. We are retiring back to the UK from the US after living here for 35 years and the problem is the ToR form. I thought the movers completed the inventory and submitted but apparently not. The big stuff is not the issue but how are personal mementos/keepsakes/seasonal decorations listed. Is every single item that is being shipped need to be listed? The ToR information page is not helpful. We have culled as much as possible but still moving 40 years of marriage stuff.
Thanks for any help

We didn't list every item. All the small stuff went into 2 or 3 boxes labelled "Miscellaneous - Living Room" or "Miscellaneous - Bedroom"

Nothing really valuable in those boxes, just memories.

sona90 Nov 18th 2021 11:39 pm

Thank you Durham Lad. It is the memento/sentimental items that I wasn't sure how to label and we have so much of that. Still throwing out/donating so much as we make our way through our lists!

vh3 Nov 22nd 2021 7:14 am

We did the same thing. Detailed what we could but had many “misc” boxes for example kitchen items (misc). We got our number quite quickly.

sona90 Nov 26th 2021 11:23 pm

Thank you vh3. I guess I'm hung up on trying to be as accurate as possible. The big stuff is easy eg furniture but it's the toys/mementos/photos that have me stumped. So many boxes and we have already let go of so much. Nothing else is packed as the movers will be doing that so I can't give HMCR how many boxes of the general household stuff. I suppose I'll list everything under various headings.

vh3 Nov 29th 2021 8:54 am

We itemised everything by room which made it easier (for us anyway). We did detail things however we entered 1 box of ornaments, box of napkins (dont ask), box of games but did detail ornamental items like large candles (battery operated (without the batteries)). I also had box of small containers and wicker baskets so in some respects it was quite detailed. Each room did have a box or two of misc items but even that we put a category of the items i.e. 1 small container misc items (make up).

We did our best guess as to how many boxes we would have but we had moved a lot so had a very rough idea. The government accepted our spreadsheet which was good and if you would like to see it I am happy to share (just send me a message).

Also, we sold a couple of items and missed a few others. Once we got our approval I asked how I went about amending our form and was told there was no need. Hope this helps.

sona90 Nov 29th 2021 11:30 am

Thanks again vh3. It does help and would be very grateful to see how you formatted your list. There really is nothing in boxes as the movers will be packing everything up but my understanding is we can't wait for that. This has to be done separately so once everything is counted, it's an estimate of how many boxes we will need? I noted that you mentioned make-up. Didn't even think of that! This is more stressful than my husband's application for his spouse settlement visa lol.

vh3 Nov 30th 2021 9:31 am

Originally Posted by sona90 (Post 13076780)
Thanks again vh3. It does help and would be very grateful to see how you formatted your list. There really is nothing in boxes as the movers will be packing everything up but my understanding is we can't wait for that. This has to be done separately so once everything is counted, it's an estimate of how many boxes we will need? I noted that you mentioned make-up. Didn't even think of that! This is more stressful than my husband's application for his spouse settlement visa lol.

Sona90
I have sent you a privite message with the information. Unfortunately I couldn't (or don't know how) to attach my spreadsheet however I copied all the info for you.

getoutofbritainquick Dec 2nd 2021 10:20 am

I found the tor requirements a little bizarre, it was nothing like the goods to follow list we had to bring into Canada. The requirements seemed very open to interpretation and vague.
We submitted ours to what we thought they required and thought it little odd we had to add our pet cat onto the form at a later date when we had the vets clearance to travel etc. we got our approval through very quickly in just over 2 weeks and managed to send in revisions as time went by.
One of the things which made my wife and I chuckle is how do you list private personal items! 😉

Djrobb Dec 2nd 2021 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 13076744)
We itemised everything by room which made it easier (for us anyway). We did detail things however we entered 1 box of ornaments, box of napkins (dont ask), box of games but did detail ornamental items like large candles (battery operated (without the batteries)). I also had box of small containers and wicker baskets so in some respects it was quite detailed. Each room did have a box or two of misc items but even that we put a category of the items i.e. 1 small container misc items (make up).

We did our best guess as to how many boxes we would have but we had moved a lot so had a very rough idea. The government accepted our spreadsheet which was good and if you would like to see it I am happy to share (just send me a message).

Also, we sold a couple of items and missed a few others. Once we got our approval I asked how I went about amending our form and was told there was no need. Hope this helps.

I would also appreciate your spreadsheet format!

We were under the impression this would be taken care of with the movers and are scrambling a bit to get the information submitted.

donyou know if it’s possible to amend the inventory later?

thanks!

sona90 Dec 3rd 2021 10:20 pm

Hi vh3,
Thanks once again. One more question. Did you list items that travelled with you eg laptop, cameras, iPhones Or just items that were shipped being shipped?
Thanks for all your time and help

durham_lad Dec 4th 2021 11:03 am

We definitely did not list any items that traveled with us. That included laptops, iPhones etc.

sona90 Dec 4th 2021 7:58 pm

Thank you to everyone who replied. Your responses were a big help. The ToR was submitted this morning so fingers crossed we will hear soon. Thanks again!

vh3 Dec 6th 2021 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Djrobb (Post 13078035)
I would also appreciate your spreadsheet format!

We were under the impression this would be taken care of with the movers and are scrambling a bit to get the information submitted.

donyou know if it’s possible to amend the inventory later?

thanks!

Hello, I am just about to send you a direct message with the information we used.

vh3 Dec 6th 2021 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by sona90 (Post 13078364)
Hi vh3,
Thanks once again. One more question. Did you list items that travelled with you eg laptop, cameras, iPhones Or just items that were shipped being shipped?
Thanks for all your time and help

Sorry for the late reply. We just listed items that we shiipped.