Wikiposts

Transfer of funds - HELP!

Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:23 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold
Default Transfer of funds - HELP!

OK, we're really stressed! RBC are saying we can't wire our funds to the UK without doing a cheque or going into the branch. Here we are in the UK in desperate need of our funds to go to HIFX. Nightmare. Does my husband have to get on a plane back to Canada to do this?

Last edited by lilybilly101; Feb 10th 2011 at 6:42 am.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Transfer of funds - HELP!

Originally Posted by lilybilly101
OK, we're really stressed! RBC are saying we can't wire our funds to the UK without doing a cheque or going into the branch. Here we are in the UK in desperate need of our funds to go to HIFX. Nightmare. Does my husband have to get on a plane back to Canada to do this?
Have you tried ozforex......all we do is contact them ask them for their rates which is usually better than hifx...we agree to the rate....i use telephone banking to transfer the money from our aus account into their ozforex account and then they transfer it into our account in the uk....they have our uk account details and hey presto we have our money within 2 to 3 days......anything over 10,000 dollars (aus) we do not pay a service charge but your first two exchanges with them are free anyway no matter who much the amount is that your transfering. Good luck....things will work out....
Old Feb 10th 2011, 9:37 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
Have you tried ozforex......all we do is contact them ask them for their rates which is usually better than hifx...we agree to the rate....i use telephone banking to transfer the money from our aus account into their ozforex account and then they transfer it into our account in the uk....they have our uk account details and hey presto we have our money within 2 to 3 days......anything over 10,000 dollars (aus) we do not pay a service charge but your first two exchanges with them are free anyway no matter who much the amount is that your transfering. Good luck....things will work out....
Apparently we HAVE to go back to Canada as we didn't notify them before we left. We're stunned. Everything was so crazy before we left, we didn't speak to the bank. Foolish in hindsight. Any ideas anyone? The thought of going back to simply to do this transaction seems mad! We're transferring over $150000.

Thanks Brits. Did you have to go into your bank before you did the wire?
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Apparently we HAVE to go back to Canada as we didn't notify them before we left. We're stunned. Everything was so crazy before we left, we didn't speak to the bank. Foolish in hindsight. Any ideas anyone? The thought of going back to simply to do this transaction seems mad! We're transferring over $150000.

Thanks Brits. Did you have to go into your bank before you did the wire?
Hi Lilybilly, I don't have an answer for you, but have you tried going to an HSBC bank in the UK and asking them for a solution. Perhaps you could open an account with them and then transfer the $ from RBC to HSBC in Canada, and then to UK? Just a thought.

Or could you authorize someone you trust in Canada, e.g. Acct, Lawyer, to do the transfer for you, perhaps into a trust account with your lawyer who handled the real estate transaction for your house sale? Might be worth checking out. Good Luck!!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:13 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Hi Lilybilly, I don't have an answer for you, but have you tried going to an HSBC bank in the UK and asking them for a solution. Perhaps you could open an account with them and then transfer the $ from RBC to HSBC in Canada, and then to UK? Just a thought.

Or could you authorize someone you trust in Canada, e.g. Acct, Lawyer, to do the transfer for you, perhaps into a trust account with your lawyer who handled the real estate transaction for your house sale? Might be worth checking out. Good Luck!!
Thank you SG. I guess the problem is they won't let us move it anywhere unless we're in the branch. I feel like our money is being held hostage but I feel like a total twit for not speaking to them before hand. We did have stomach flu and had a tent trailer and a truck to sell and two small kids to look after...and nowhere to live.....AAAAAAGGGGHHH....
Old Feb 10th 2011, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

SomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really niceSomersetGirl is just really nice

Thank you SG. I guess the problem is they won't let us move it anywhere unless we're in the branch. I feel like our money is being held hostage but I feel like a total twit for not speaking to them before hand. We did have stomach flu and had a tent trailer and a truck to sell and two small kids to look after...and nowhere to live.....AAAAAAGGGGHHH....
Can't you do anything online? This is unbelievable!!
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:10 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by SomersetGirl
Can't you do anything online? This is unbelievable!!
We would have to wire $1000 a day max and there's a charge. It seems we're screwed! Wire transfers need to be done in person and apparently that is the end of the matter as far as RBC is concerned. Gutted.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:31 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with Somerset Girl. Do you have your Cdn cheque book with you?
If so, go to HSBC and open a Cdn dollar and Sterling account. then you can write a cheque to yourself for the whole amount. Then you can transfer the cdn into sterling. Also, as you transferring a large amount ask them for their best exchange rate. I did this in reverse in Canada. Not sure about the timing. Lloyds may also have a similar set up.
I wish you the best of luck.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lf1
If so, go to HSBC and open a Cdn dollar and Sterling account. then you can write a cheque to yourself for the whole amount. Then you can transfer the cdn into sterling. Also, as you transferring a large amount ask them for their best exchange rate. I did this in reverse in Canada. Not sure about the timing. Lloyds may also have a similar set up.
Its worth checking, BUT I think HSBC might not clear the funds for a month, as its a personal cheque written on a foreign bank. It still will be cheaper than going to Canada though, as long as you don't need the funds immediately. If you do, you might be able to borrow on a short term basis, based on your credit history in Canada.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Why not access your account online and move the funds to a Canadian Dollar account in the UK and then look at converting?

Or write a cheque to a Canadian Dollar account in the UK and then convert.

The Royal Bank of Canada have an office in London, maybe they can help? It is essentially and investment bank though. There are also RBC branches for personal banking in the Channel Islands which is closer than BC.

Royal Bank Of Canada
71 Queen Victoria Street
London
EC4V 4DE

Tel. 020 74891188

Last edited by johnh009; Feb 10th 2011 at 4:25 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 6:51 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by johnh009
Why not access your account online and move the funds to a Canadian Dollar account in the UK and then look at converting?

Or write a cheque to a Canadian Dollar account in the UK and then convert.

The Royal Bank of Canada have an office in London, maybe they can help? It is essentially and investment bank though. There are also RBC branches for personal banking in the Channel Islands which is closer than BC.

Royal Bank Of Canada
71 Queen Victoria Street
London
EC4V 4DE

Tel. 020 74891188
Thank you. We'll call them today. They have stated we can't move the funds anywhere but the London number may help. I feel so frustrated and feel like my money is being held hostage.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 7:39 pm
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by lf1
We do have our cheque book. Won't it take 25 days to clear though?The daily rate seems to be going against us.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

We do have our cheque book. Won't it take 25 days to clear though?The daily rate seems to be going against us.
Trying to predict exchange rates is futile, the rate may even come down again. As I mentioned, you can move your funds online to a another institution.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 1:48 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

It didn't take that long with my transaction. The bank will be able to tell you what the withholding period. Are you dealing with a senior member of staff @
RBC? TD and HSBC were willing to transfer funds from Canada to UK with written consent via fax. Both banks had a form specifically for this. Essentially, it includes sort codes, acct nos of Cdn and UK accounts and signatures of account holders. Maybe RBC can do the same thing. One difference is both banks knew what our plan was.

In your case maybe they would accept a document where your identity has been confirmed via a notary or solicitor.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 2:42 am
Lost in Space

Originally Posted by lf1
It didn't take that long with my transaction. The bank will be able to tell you what the withholding period. Are you dealing with a senior member of staff @
RBC? TD and HSBC were willing to transfer funds from Canada to UK with written consent via fax. Both banks had a form specifically for this. Essentially, it includes sort codes, acct nos of Cdn and UK accounts and signatures of account holders. Maybe RBC can do the same thing. One difference is both banks knew what our plan was.

In your case maybe they would accept a document where your identity has been confirmed via a notary or solicitor.
Thanks for all your help. We've been on the phone all day regarding this matter and my husband is resigned to travelling to Vancouver in the morning. We simply messed up by not going into the bank before we left and organised an account manager. We have some other things to do tidy up so maybe it's for the best. This move continues to be very stressful but we're still delighted to be home!!!!

Thanks everyone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.