TRAIN TRAVEL UK

Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

shade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really niceshade8 is just really nice
Default TRAIN TRAVEL UK

Whats the cheapest way by train from London Heathrow to Lancaster for 1 Adult 1 child is it better to get rail card.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

PoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to beholdPoppetUK is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TRAIN TRAVEL UK

Originally Posted by shade8
Whats the cheapest way by train from London Heathrow to Lancaster for 1 Adult 1 child is it better to get rail card.
You could look into buying your ticket in advance. Can't remember exact details but I think the site is something like queue jump. The further in advance the cheaper it is I think.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:53 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Ahh my home town. last time I flew back I had to take the Heathrow express and then I taxied it from Paddington to Euston and then train from Euston. If you are able to book online in advance then it should be cheap enough.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 3:55 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PoppetUK
You could look into buying your ticket in advance. Can't remember exact details but I think the site is something like queue jump. The further in advance the cheaper it is I think.
Definitely book in advance.

Also look into National Coaches - might be quicker than catching a train from central London, and almost definitely cheaper, particularly if booked ahead of time. (Last year paid GBP 6 for London to Cardiff!!)

Plus you get to see lovely English countryside
Old Jul 26th 2007, 4:05 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Look into getting advance-purchase tickets if you can. You have to purchase one-way tickets. I got a ticket from London to Totnes for 12.50. The return journey wasn't available at the cheaper rate, but all told it was still cheaper than buying a full-price return ticket.

http://nationalrail.co.uk/times_fare...cket_types.htm

Sarah
Old Jul 26th 2007, 7:19 pm
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Hi,
If your traveling from Heathrow to Lancaster one of the easiest ways depending on time of day would be to catch a Rail-Air bus to Watford Jct.
There is also buses to Reading and I think Woking.
http://www.heathrowairport.com/porta...0357e120a____/
Then as other people have said catch the train but book in advance.
www.virgintrains.com
Hope this helps and have a good time in Lancaster its a lovely place with some really nice bars.
Gary
Old Jul 26th 2007, 8:44 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

You could look on TheTrainline.com: http://www.thetrainline.com/

- though booking from overseas might be a problem as I don't think they will mail the tix overseas. If you book early enough, you could have tix sent to a friend in the UK to mail on to you. Alternatively, you can arrange to pick up the tix from your train station (though I'm not sure LHR is one of the stations that has this facility). If you do pick up at a station, I thik you have to have the same credit card with you that you used to book the tix.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 9:07 pm
Feels great to be home!

SarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond reputeSarahInTX has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving

- though booking from overseas might be a problem as I don't think they will mail the tix overseas.
This is true. I had to get my sister to actually purchase the tickets for me as the online form wouldn't take a US address.
Old Jul 27th 2007, 5:14 am
Just Joined

Pippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant futurePippilongstocking has a brilliant future

We had to travel from heathrow to York last year and found that a Family Railcard saved us heaps. (You have to have at least 1 child travelling with you to use it.) However, I don't think you can buy one over the net unless you get it sent to a UK address. You have to go into a ticket office and buy it over the counter. And it's not available at heathrow! It costs 20 quid and saves 30% on adult fare and 60% on kids fare.

You can buy tickets at the family railcard price over the net (you pick them up at any station by putting the credit card you use to purchase into the ticket machine and it spits out your tickets) You should do this as soon as possible as there are big savings purchasing well in advance.

We ended up buying single heathrow express tickets to get us into London, a taxi across London to Kings Cross, our connecting station (not as expensive as we expected), and then buying the railcard and picking up the tickets at Kings Cross station (kings cross to york then york to heathrow on the return).

Oh and you cannot use the railcard on peak services from London!

Sorry for the long reply but its extremely complicated!

I use nationalrail.co.uk to book and you can get a price with the family railcard and without so you know if it's worth buying one. There are a number of other sites that offer this service just do a search.
Old Jul 28th 2007, 11:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pippilongstocking
We had to travel from heathrow to York last year and found that a Family Railcard saved us heaps. (You have to have at least 1 child travelling with you to use it.) However, I don't think you can buy one over the net unless you get it sent to a UK address. You have to go into a ticket office and buy it over the counter. And it's not available at heathrow! It costs 20 quid and saves 30% on adult fare and 60% on kids fare.

You can buy tickets at the family railcard price over the net (you pick them up at any station by putting the credit card you use to purchase into the ticket machine and it spits out your tickets) You should do this as soon as possible as there are big savings purchasing well in advance.

We ended up buying single heathrow express tickets to get us into London, a taxi across London to Kings Cross, our connecting station (not as expensive as we expected), and then buying the railcard and picking up the tickets at Kings Cross station (kings cross to york then york to heathrow on the return).

Oh and you cannot use the railcard on peak services from London!

Sorry for the long reply but its extremely complicated!

I use nationalrail.co.uk to book and you can get a price with the family railcard and without so you know if it's worth buying one. There are a number of other sites that offer this service just do a search.

We did york to london by booking on the internet, 8 pound each but booked well in advance, think it was GNER.

Once in london found out if we had a oyster card, (dont ask me blue thing, friends told us to get one from any tube station), then the under 10 YO was free on the tube our fares were heavily discounted, and both kids were free on the red buses anyway - up to age 18.

Well impressed!! People moan about the UK but there are so many bargains.