traffic control??

Old Sep 11th 2007, 7:05 am
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough
Question traffic control??

my OH works here in oz as a traffic controller,diverts traffic and sets up road blocks etc...anyway my question is, does anyone no what this type of job is called in the uk as we cant find it on the job search
cheers.
shaz xox
Old Sep 11th 2007, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

badnamechoice is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: traffic control??

The nearest equivalent at present is the Highways Agency Traffic Officers, at present only working on the motorways (but with a view to expanding the role to cover other major trunk roads) but set up road closures, diversions, debris removal, deal with damage only accidents etc. They operate from various patrol bases and drive marked 4x4's up and down the country.

For more info look on www.highways.gov.uk or http://www.betterhighways.co.uk/role_descriptions.aspx
Old Sep 12th 2007, 4:02 am
Forum Regular

shazza1 will become famous soon enoughshazza1 will become famous soon enough

thanks for that info it was very helpful to us.
cheers,
shaz xx
Old Sep 12th 2007, 2:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Or contact the Higways Department in the local County Council offices. They would be more on the admin side, ie, approving what gets dug up and when, and how much chaos it might create. Your hubby might find an 'in' there?

Otherwise, on a more basic level, I would think that each of the contractors involved in causing diversions on any road, are responsible for their own traffic control via temporary lights, manpower, or whatever means necessary. And usually this needs to have been previously approved by the County Council Highways Dept, The Highways Agency (as in previous post) or the police - depending on where and what it is ....