Toronto to Buxton

Old Mar 23rd 2021, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

Diane Rowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Toronto to Buxton

Hello, I am retired. Moved to Toronto in 1976.
Thinking of moving to Buxton. It is near Manchester where I was born, and has a train station. Also good for hiking.
Toronto doesn’t seem to be a retirement destination ref. hiking as it takes too long to get out of the city.
Planning to visit Buxton when it is possible to visit again.
If anyone has any relevant experience I would be happy to hear it. Thanks. Happy I found this forum.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Toronto to Buxton

Buxton is relatively high altitude, so is cooler and wetter than nearby locations (2 °C lower than Manchester, per Wiki). Being on the rail network is a big plus if you don’t, or don’t want to, drive. The bus service to nearby towns was decent. Getting around would be easier with a car, however.

The town was attractive enough, with some nice architecture. It has a theatre / opera house that puts on a range of shows, there are a few pubs and small supermarkets. The population will be increased by tourists in the warmer months.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you . Yes the weather is my only concern. But in Toronto it can be too icy to hike in the winter and too hot in the summer.
Old Mar 24th 2021, 3:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diane Rowe
Thank you . Yes the weather is my only concern. But in Toronto it can be too icy to hike in the winter and too hot in the summer.
Hi I know Buxton very well and I would say it's now on the "up" for a spa town unlike some others in England it has been neglected in the past but with new regeneration ie the Crescent has been wonderfully restored and is now a 5* health spa, the pavillion gardens are always a pleasure to stroll around and they have year round activities organised. It's in an ideal position to visit the peaks and for bigger shopping though it would have to be Manchester (a slow train) and a drive to Macclesfield is another option. Good luck
Old Mar 25th 2021, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi I know Buxton very well and I would say it's now on the "up" for a spa town unlike some others in England it has been neglected in the past but with new regeneration ie the Crescent has been wonderfully restored and is now a 5* health spa, the pavillion gardens are always a pleasure to stroll around and they have year round activities organised. It's in an ideal position to visit the peaks and for bigger shopping though it would have to be Manchester (a slow train) and a drive to Macclesfield is another option. Good luck
Thank you. That sounds encouraging.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 2:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hello, Can anyone recommend a company that can ship glassware? I don’t see much point shipping furniture to the UK as the shipping would cost more than the value of the furniture. I have a collection of Depression Glass though that I would like to ship anytime between now and Christmas. Thanks Diane
Old Apr 4th 2021, 3:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

tdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond reputetdrinker has a reputation beyond repute

I suggest starting a new thread so more people see the question.
Old Apr 4th 2021, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you