British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Toronto to Buxton (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/toronto-buxton-937785/)

Diane Rowe Mar 23rd 2021 7:55 pm

Toronto to Buxton

Hello, I am retired. Moved to Toronto in 1976.
Thinking of moving to Buxton. It is near Manchester where I was born, and has a train station. Also good for hiking.
Toronto doesn’t seem to be a retirement destination ref. hiking as it takes too long to get out of the city.
Planning to visit Buxton when it is possible to visit again.
If anyone has any relevant experience I would be happy to hear it. Thanks. Happy I found this forum.

tdrinker Mar 24th 2021 3:49 am

Re: Toronto to Buxton

Buxton is relatively high altitude, so is cooler and wetter than nearby locations (2 °C lower than Manchester, per Wiki). Being on the rail network is a big plus if you don’t, or don’t want to, drive. The bus service to nearby towns was decent. Getting around would be easier with a car, however.

The town was attractive enough, with some nice architecture. It has a theatre / opera house that puts on a range of shows, there are a few pubs and small supermarkets. The population will be increased by tourists in the warmer months.

Diane Rowe Mar 24th 2021 3:05 pm

Thank you . Yes the weather is my only concern. But in Toronto it can be too icy to hike in the winter and too hot in the summer.

brits1 Mar 24th 2021 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by Diane Rowe (Post 12987324)
Thank you . Yes the weather is my only concern. But in Toronto it can be too icy to hike in the winter and too hot in the summer.

Hi I know Buxton very well and I would say it's now on the "up" for a spa town unlike some others in England it has been neglected in the past but with new regeneration ie the Crescent has been wonderfully restored and is now a 5* health spa, the pavillion gardens are always a pleasure to stroll around and they have year round activities organised. It's in an ideal position to visit the peaks and for bigger shopping though it would have to be Manchester (a slow train) and a drive to Macclesfield is another option. Good luck

Diane Rowe Mar 25th 2021 2:19 am

Originally Posted by brits1 (Post 12987333)
Hi I know Buxton very well and I would say it's now on the "up" for a spa town unlike some others in England it has been neglected in the past but with new regeneration ie the Crescent has been wonderfully restored and is now a 5* health spa, the pavillion gardens are always a pleasure to stroll around and they have year round activities organised. It's in an ideal position to visit the peaks and for bigger shopping though it would have to be Manchester (a slow train) and a drive to Macclesfield is another option. Good luck

Thank you. That sounds encouraging.

Diane Rowe Apr 4th 2021 2:52 pm

Hello, Can anyone recommend a company that can ship glassware? I don’t see much point shipping furniture to the UK as the shipping would cost more than the value of the furniture. I have a collection of Depression Glass though that I would like to ship anytime between now and Christmas. Thanks Diane

tdrinker Apr 4th 2021 3:10 pm

I suggest starting a new thread so more people see the question.

Diane Rowe Apr 4th 2021 4:24 pm

Thank you