British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   TOR1 Application rejected due to no UK address (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/tor1-application-rejected-due-no-uk-address-943066/)

TimFountain Mar 8th 2022 2:23 pm

TOR1 Application rejected due to no UK address

Boy, HMRC is being obtuse and difficult. our TOR 1 application was rejected due to having no UK address. We don't have a UK address because we are relocating back to the UK. We have no relatives or friends we can rely on, so I am a in a catch-22. Of course, nearer the time we will have an address, but we were advised by our shippers to get a TOR1 early in the process. Any ideas most welcome.

Thank you

christmasoompa Mar 8th 2022 2:57 pm

Re: TOR1 Application rejected due to no UK address

Yes, an address is required. When are you moving? Where do you plan to stay when you move back? If you're applying for a spouse visa then you will need accommodation lined up for that application, so maybe best to wait until then to resubmit the TOR with that address?

Pulaski Mar 8th 2022 3:07 pm

Rent a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. Then use "Flat No X" or "Unit No X", and the street address of the location. :)

ArthurBrit Mar 8th 2022 3:17 pm

I'm sure you've read this however, I'll repost.

"Proof of UK address

This can be (within the last 3 months) a:
  • bank statement
  • utility bill
  • mortgage or rental agreement
If you do not have an address in the UK yet, you can:
  • upload a statement from the person you will be living with and proof of their address
  • give evidence of temporary accommodation, such as a hotel booking"
I would suggest just give them an address of a friend or relative for now and update the shipping company once you have a place.

Pulaski Mar 8th 2022 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by TimFountain (Post 13099904)
...... We have no relatives or friends we can rely on, ....

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit (Post 13099925)
.... I would suggest just give them an address of a friend or relative for now ......

Ahem! :o

ArthurBrit Mar 8th 2022 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13099936)
Ahem! :o

Could easily join Tinder :cool:...

TimFountain Mar 9th 2022 5:01 am

Originally Posted by ArthurBrit (Post 13099941)
Could easily join Tinder :cool:...

Not sure her in-doors will be too happy about that!

TimFountain Mar 9th 2022 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13099916)
Rent a mailbox at Mailboxes Etc. Then use "Flat No X" or "Unit No X", and the street address of the location. :)

Thank you, I think this is the best approach and will give us some portability when we transition from a rental to purchasing once we have decided where we want to buy...

Lion in Winter Mar 9th 2022 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13099916)

I realise this is a stupid question, but does it matter if the Mailbox address is not the same as the ultimate delivery address that the shipper ends up using? Or is miles away? My brain probably just isn't working properly.

vh3 Mar 9th 2022 7:21 pm

Hi, when we came back last autumn HMRC told us to use our hotel as an address as the majority of folks don’t have accommodation lined up.

vh3 Mar 9th 2022 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13100243)
I realise this is a stupid question, but does it matter if the Mailbox address is not the same as the ultimate delivery address that the shipper ends up using? Or is miles away? My brain probably just isn't working properly.

No, it doesn’t matter as per HMRC.

Pulaski Mar 9th 2022 7:25 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13100243)

What do you mean by "the ultimate delivery address"? :confused: With an MBE mailbox the mail is delivered to and MBE location/ address.

Lion in Winter Mar 9th 2022 7:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 13100250)
What do you mean by "the ultimate delivery address"? :confused: With an MBE mailbox the mail is delivered to and MBE location/ address.

I meant delivery address for the household goods that we will be shipping back to which the TOR pertains.

Lion in Winter Mar 9th 2022 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by vh3 (Post 13100249)
No, it doesn’t matter as per HMRC.

Thank you.

Pulaski Mar 9th 2022 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter (Post 13100252)
I meant delivery address for the household goods that we will be shipping back to which the TOR pertains.

Ah, OK. :o

I can't imagine why an MBE mailbox would need to be local to the physical address, after all there are probably people who give a family member's address in, say, Plymouth, but end up moving to, say, Newcastle.