British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   TOR01 or not? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/tor01-not-919342/)

DDawn Nov 17th 2018 3:02 am

TOR01 or not?

Hi All! I'm looking to move back to the UK and will likely bring all my personal effects with me on the plane versus shipping. Traveling from the US, and I'm confused after reading the customs site. Do I need to complete the TOR01? That appears to be only for shipping good, or if pets involved (no pets). Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

BritInParis Nov 17th 2018 3:11 am

Re: TOR01 or not?

Are we just talking about clothes and a few bits and bobs in a suitcase?

DDawn Nov 17th 2018 3:14 am

Pretty much - 2-3 suitcases with clothes, linens, small kitchen items, personal electronics, etc. All used and purchased more than 6 months before travel. Nothing for resale.

BritInParis Nov 17th 2018 3:20 am

ToR is for unaccompanied items so you won’t need it.

DDawn Nov 17th 2018 3:25 am

Great, thank you!

TiaMaria57 Nov 18th 2018 11:01 pm

DDawn.....We returned earlier this year by plane with our items and personal belongings with us. We did not need a ToR as we flew with our goods. 18 suitcases and a large box of art, (paintings). We just walked straight through customs and we even had luggage handling help from the airport staff, (which I’d arranged ahead of our flight). They were marvellous!

It couldn’t have gone smoother and NO ToR paperwork required to do so. Like yourself, all our belongings were used and all over 6 months old. Basically our memories returned home. Hope this helps. TM57

TiaMaria57 Nov 18th 2018 11:04 pm

And BTW, we brought 8 further suitcases in a few months earlier and 4 suitcases just prior to that. Again, no ToR needed for doing so. Just get on a plane and go! All the best to you. TM

sherbert Nov 19th 2018 5:38 pm

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57 (Post 12595544)
DDawn.....We returned earlier this year by plane with our items and personal belongings with us. We did not need a ToR as we flew with our goods. 18 suitcases and a large box of art, (paintings). We just walked straight through customs and we even had luggage handling help from the airport staff, (which I’d arranged ahead of our flight). They were marvellous!

It couldn’t have gone smoother and NO ToR paperwork required to do so. Like yourself, all our belongings were used and all over 6 months old. Basically our memories returned home. Hope this helps. TM57

18 suitcases! How much did this cost in extra baggage fees?

TiaMaria57 Nov 19th 2018 6:17 pm

Originally Posted by sherbert (Post 12595870)
18 suitcases! How much did this cost in extra baggage fees?

The 18 + box cost $4.5k. Cheap compared to container shipping and all the organising and paperwork which goes with it.

UkWinds5353 Nov 19th 2018 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57 (Post 12595881)

The 18 + box cost $4.5k. Cheap compared to container shipping and all the organising and paperwork which goes with it.

Western North Carolina? Asheville perhaps? I lived in the Greensboro area once upon a time.

TiaMaria57 Nov 19th 2018 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12596022)
Western North Carolina? Asheville perhaps? I lived in the Greensboro area once upon a time.

Yes, Asheville area...a beautiful place to reside. So you weren’t very far away. Where are you living now?

UkWinds5353 Nov 20th 2018 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57 (Post 12596027)

Yes, Asheville area...a beautiful place to reside. So you weren’t very far away. Where are you living now?

I'm from the Northeast but have lived in Florida for more than a decade off and on. I have family that attended University in Boone NC. Asheville has been a frequent stop over. Such a beautiful place. It's the Austin Texas of North Carolina.

Do you miss it?

TiaMaria57 Nov 20th 2018 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12596597)
I'm from the Northeast but have lived in Florida for more than a decade off and on. I have family that attended University in Boone NC. Asheville has been a frequent stop over. Such a beautiful place. It's the Austin Texas of North Carolina.

Do you miss it?

No, we don’t miss it at all since we so enjoy being back in England. It was a wonderful experience and we couldn’t have found a nicer place to live. However, we plan to make frequent trips back to see our many friends, who we bacame very close to over the past 25 years. But England is still home for us, particularly at our age in life.

TiaMaria57 Nov 20th 2018 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353 (Post 12596597)

Do you miss it?

Are you living back in the UK now? If so, do you miss it?

UkWinds5353 Nov 21st 2018 12:18 am

Originally Posted by TiaMaria57 (Post 12596629)

Are you living back in the UK now? If so, do you miss it?

We lived in Manchester and truly love the area but because of extenuating circumstance it became apparent a few years after moving to the UK that it was not going to work for the family. Maybe one day after retirement we might consider moving back over. Home is Florida for now and things are good. When things are working it's very tough to want to tamper with that situation. Only issue bothered me coming back to the States was getting use to driving on the other side of the road. That took a minute but other than that it's been wonderful.