Reload this Page >

British citizen and Canadian partner looking to move back to UK

British citizen and Canadian partner looking to move back to UK

Old Jul 15th 2018, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

OhLiver is an unknown quantity at this point
Default British citizen and Canadian partner looking to move back to UK

Hey everyone!

This is my first post, but I've known about the forum for some time. My partner of nearly four years and I are looking to move to England to live and work. I am a Canadian permanent resident who moved from England to Canada when I was 11. I have dual citizenship (British passport), and my partner is a Canadian citizen. I have grandparents from both sides of my family living in the UK as well. As a result of my dual citizenship it's my understanding that all I need to do for myself is to get a British social insurance number.
We are researching to understand what my partner will need in order for her to go to England though. Since we are both under thirty we are aware of the Youth Mobility Scheme available to her but we are wondering if we should apply via that route or if we should apply for her through the family visa as my partner. Are these mutually exclusive application processes? Is one better than the other? Does the family visa application process still include the points test?
We are also wondering what the process is for bringing our calico cat over with us?

Any information, tips, or resources would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old Jul 15th 2018, 9:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British citizen and Canadian partner looking to move back to UK

The Youth Mobility Scheme is cheaper and quicker than the unmarried partner or spouse visa. If you are eligible for that then I'd suggest doing it.

Once in the UK you could then apply for the unmarried partner or spouse visa when ready.

Google Animal transportation for companies which ship animals.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:03 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A Tier 5 YMS visa is a much better idea initially. If your intention is to make it a permanent move then switching to a spouse visa after at least one of you has been working for six months is the most efficient way to go as any time spent on a Tier 5 visa won’t count towards ILR.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

chasingsun is an unknown quantity at this point

I would go the youth Visa, Much simper process. We have given up on our plans to go back home as its a complicated way to go on a Unmarried partner visa. Im British and hes Canadian. Didn't want to have to split the kids from there dad for any length of time.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The Youth Mobility Scheme is cheaper and quicker than the unmarried partner or spouse visa. If you are eligible for that then I'd suggest doing it.

Once in the UK you could then apply for the unmarried partner or spouse visa when ready.

Google Animal transportation for companies which ship animals.
Thank you, that's good to know. Is it a complicated process then if we go there with her using the YMS visa and then switch to the unmarried partner/spouse visa? Can we begin that switch before the initial two and a half year of the YMS visa is completed?
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A Tier 5 YMS visa is a much better idea initially. If your intention is to make it a permanent move then switching to a spouse visa after at least one of you has been working for six months is the most efficient way to go as any time spent on a Tier 5 visa won’t count towards ILR.
Very helpful to know, especially about how time on a Tier 5 visa won't count towards ILR, I didn't know that. Are there any other benefits to the YMS visa other than it being faster and cheaper? And is it a complicated process to switch to a different visa once there or is it just a matter of waiting until one of us has worked for six months like you said?
Thank you!
Old Jul 16th 2018, 3:35 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chasingsun
I would go the youth Visa, Much simper process. We have given up on our plans to go back home as its a complicated way to go on a Unmarried partner visa. Im British and hes Canadian. Didn't want to have to split the kids from there dad for any length of time.
Sorry to hear that. Was the process for an unmarried partner visa complicated in general or were there particularly difficult parts to it?
Old Jul 16th 2018, 4:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OhLiver
I am a Canadian permanent resident who moved from England to Canada when I was 11. I have dual citizenship (British passport)

Are you a Canadian citizen, or PR? If you're only a PR, you might want to think about getting citizenship before you leave Canada.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 5:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Very helpful to know, especially about how time on a Tier 5 visa won't count towards ILR, I didn't know that. Are there any other benefits to the YMS visa other than it being faster and cheaper? And is it a complicated process to switch to a different visa once there or is it just a matter of waiting until one of us has worked for six months like you said?
Thank you!
It makes the financial requirements for the spouse visa easier to meet as you can use one or both of their salaries once you have been working in the UK for six months. Applying from outside the UK means that only the spouse’s salaried income would count and they would also need a job offer in the UK in order for both applicant and sponsor to move together. A YMS visa means you can move together in order to look for work and then switch to a spouse visa once one of you meets the financial requirements.

Switching would be the same process as extending an existing spouse visa from within the UK - there are no additional complications.

Not mentioned yet but as an unmarried couple you will need to provide evidence that you had been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years prior to the application. Living apart whilst dating isn’t going to cut it. If this is the case for you then you should consider getting married.
Old Jul 16th 2018, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

chasingsun is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that. Was the process for an unmarried partner visa complicated in general or were there particularly difficult parts to it?
We were already to go had the house up for sale and would have had the funds for me to sponser him. Been together 15 years now but we would have had nowhere to live here whilst waiting for his application to be processed.. He cant come to UK while waiting and I don't like to separate my boys from there dad in a new country for them. The kids are dual British/Canadian. I am a stay at home mum so have no income so we have to go savings route. He has 3 job oppurtunities in the uk but don't fall into the short category.

Its mainly easy paperwork but family separation is a big No for me, Because who knows how long it would take.
Secondly was trying to rent somewhere from here was a disaster, No one would rent because we had no income but we could pay a years rent up front, Then we had no referees in UK,

Hoping we can work something out to retry next year, But I would go the easy route and reapply from within UK..
Old Jul 16th 2018, 7:01 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Your calico cat will become a tortoiseshell.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 2:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by christmasoompa

Are you a Canadian citizen, or PR? If you're only a PR, you might want to think about getting citizenship before you leave Canada.
My mistake! I made a rather significant mistake in my original post - I'm a Canadian citizen as well as a British citizen. If I were a PR though, you would be right, I would absolutely get citizenship before leaving Canada. Thank you for pointing this out.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
It makes the financial requirements for the spouse visa easier to meet as you can use one or both of their salaries once you have been working in the UK for six months. Applying from outside the UK means that only the spouse’s salaried income would count and they would also need a job offer in the UK in order for both applicant and sponsor to move together. A YMS visa means you can move together in order to look for work and then switch to a spouse visa once one of you meets the financial requirements.

Switching would be the same process as extending an existing spouse visa from within the UK - there are no additional complications.

Not mentioned yet but as an unmarried couple you will need to provide evidence that you had been living together in a relationship akin to marriage for at least two years prior to the application. Living apart whilst dating isn’t going to cut it. If this is the case for you then you should consider getting married.
That is a huge advantage going that route then. It would definitely be easier for her to obtain her visa if we could count both our salaries towards the application, and if she didn't need to have a job offer in the UK beforehand. And most importantly, that's great that switching to the other visa once we're there isn't complicated, which I'm genuinely shocked by!

That's a good point to bring up as well regarding relationship status. We had considered this and thankfully we're fortunate in that we have been living together for almost three years now and have our previous lease/rental agreements as documents to prove this. We are hoping that this will be sufficient and helpful in the visa application process but we were wondering about that as well.

Thanks so much again, your insights have been very helpful and encouraging for what the process may be like for us.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by chasingsun
We were already to go had the house up for sale and would have had the funds for me to sponser him. Been together 15 years now but we would have had nowhere to live here whilst waiting for his application to be processed.. He cant come to UK while waiting and I don't like to separate my boys from there dad in a new country for them. The kids are dual British/Canadian. I am a stay at home mum so have no income so we have to go savings route. He has 3 job oppurtunities in the uk but don't fall into the short category.

Its mainly easy paperwork but family separation is a big No for me, Because who knows how long it would take.
Secondly was trying to rent somewhere from here was a disaster, No one would rent because we had no income but we could pay a years rent up front, Then we had no referees in UK,

Hoping we can work something out to retry next year, But I would go the easy route and reapply from within UK..
That sounds very stressful, I'm sorry you and your family had such a difficult experience so far. But it sounds like there are several factors in your family's favour so hopefully the next try next year will go better like you said. Transferring our entire lives there with finding work and a place to live, as you described, is the stress that we are anticipating and apprehensive about. And your experience definitely reinforces the idea that it would likely be easier and a smoother process overall for us if my partner can come to the UK with me first via the YMS visa and then we can sort out work for her and finding a flat there. Thank you for sharing your experience, it's helpful to know what other people have encountered in this process.
Old Jul 17th 2018, 3:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Editha
Your calico cat will become a tortoiseshell.
Will she? I'd forgotten about that. We like that descriptor as a breed, so my partner will be delighted.

We've also been researching on the UK government websites all the regulations and requirements for moving our cat there with us. We feel that we have the idea overall (microchip, vaccinations, rabies vaccine specifically in appropriate timeline, health certificate, "Transfer of Residency" to avoid paying the VAT, 5-day rule, airline approved carrier, pet friendly airline and housing in UK, and making sure our vet knows how to fill out the paperwork). We also read a helpful post on this forum from another person from Canada moving to the UK with their cat, and read the list of approved airlines/routes, and that London Gatwick has a faster process for receiving pets than London Heathrow. Air Canada is more expensive so we considered Air Transat, but we are concerned that having our cat travel in the hold will be too stressful for her - when we moved from the UK to Canada when I was a child we brought our cat and his personality completely changed into a stressed cat after the flight. But I don't think there is an option for pets to travel in their carrier in the cabin with us, unless someone else has heard of this option with an airline?