Is it too soon?

Old Aug 13th 2019, 1:07 am
Just Joined

Beki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Is it too soon?

So my husband got a job offer in London Ontario and we made the move from Manchester England with our 3 children. When we first got here I hated it from day 1 , I’ve never been to Canada and it was so different than I expected. I now wished we visited before moving but it was just a life time opportunity we didn’t want to turn down. We moved into a apartment and got the kids into a school. I think it’s beautiful here but it’s SO expensive, food, car, bills and rent! But also my husbands wage isn’t what we thought it was going to be. We also are entitled to child tax credit until we’ve been here 18 months. My qualifications are recognized here too so I need to find a job that works around the kids because we couldn’t afford the childcare.We had plans to explore the country but with such a low income and living pay check to pay check I don’t think this will ever be possible and we’ve used all our savings renting a apartment, furnishing it and getting a car. We’ve only been here 5 months and I still don’t like it and don’t think I ever will. I miss my family and friends so much too.Can anyone give any advice? Is it too soon to think about going home.Thank you
Old Aug 13th 2019, 6:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it too soon?

Originally Posted by Beki10
So my husband got a job offer in London Ontario and we made the move from Manchester England with our 3 children. When we first got here I hated it from day 1 , I’ve never been to Canada and it was so different than I expected. I now wished we visited before moving but it was just a life time opportunity we didn’t want to turn down. We moved into a apartment and got the kids into a school. I think it’s beautiful here but it’s SO expensive, food, car, bills and rent! But also my husbands wage isn’t what we thought it was going to be. We also are entitled to child tax credit until we’ve been here 18 months. My qualifications are recognized here too so I need to find a job that works around the kids because we couldn’t afford the childcare.We had plans to explore the country but with such a low income and living pay check to pay check I don’t think this will ever be possible and we’ve used all our savings renting a apartment, furnishing it and getting a car. We’ve only been here 5 months and I still don’t like it and don’t think I ever will. I miss my family and friends so much too.Can anyone give any advice? Is it too soon to think about going home.Thank you
Only you can decide what's best for you and if you already know you don't really like the place, the answer is pretty clear. Normally it takes time to adapt and would you feel any better with a job (more money)? Did you ask the kids how they would feel going back home?
Old Aug 13th 2019, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Beki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond reputeBeki10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Only you can decide what's best for you and if you already know you don't really like the place, the answer is pretty clear. Normally it takes time to adapt and would you feel any better with a job (more money)? Did you ask the kids how they would feel going back home?
yeah my husband love it at first, until we started living to pay check. The kids have mixed reviews but won’t mind if we went back. We’d have more money but not a lot with my qualifications not being recognized I’d have to go for minimum wage and ensure it worked around the kids. I keep thinking about why we left England but it doesn’t seem as bad as I thought back in England. Maybe I’m just too English as I feel I don’t fit in here. We’ve discussed that we’re going to stay until a year has been then see how we feel.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

I think, given the expense and organisation it has take to get to Canada you should give it a bit more time. However, I can't conceive of any argument for needless financial struggle just to live somewhere if you have the option not to struggle by living somewhere else.

Perhaps you need to plan out what would make things better and give yourselves the time to see if it is possible... see what it would take for your qualifications to be recognised or see what transferable skills you have to get a job that works around the kids. Set the parameters and timelines and take it from there.
Old Aug 14th 2019, 6:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

ArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond reputeArthurBrit has a reputation beyond repute

I moved to Canada at the end of 2006, I don't think I can say I've ever loved the place. I can say it will get better with time though. I'm still here, I've changed jobs, lived in a few different houses but for the most part it's been pretty stable over the years. If you find it expensive I'll state that from what I've seen Canadians pay scale starts low but increases a lot with time, I earn a lot more here than I would in Britain based upon the job title, but like you my qualifications don't mean much over here so I get paid more to do a lesser job.
As someone else mentioned it's hard to decisively advise you either way but at 5 months in you're still fresh and perhaps time will create better judgement. If you're completely spent already and drowning you need to find a way out, that could be a support group, a sports activity or maybe packing up and going home but I would try the lesser extremes first.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 12:26 am
Just Joined

KookstyHM is an unknown quantity at this point

Canada isn't for everyone and that's okay! I've been here 12yrs with a 10 month break back in the UK and it's never felt like home. My husband has been here 3 years and isn't overly into it either so we've decided to move back. A friend's Mum hated Canada when she moved, tried it for about 8 years and ended up moving back.
Ultimately you have to decide what you want out of life and where you will feel happiest living through the struggles that life will inevitably bring. No-where on this planet will ever be 100% perfect. Even if you do go back, you still moved countries which is a huge adventure and more than most people accomplish in a life time! Don't beat yourself up over what you think you should be doing based on other people's opinions and trust yourself. It will all work out in the end!
Old Aug 16th 2019, 9:42 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KookstyHM
Canada isn't for everyone and that's okay! I've been here 12yrs with a 10 month break back in the UK and it's never felt like home. My husband has been here 3 years and isn't overly into it either so we've decided to move back. A friend's Mum hated Canada when she moved, tried it for about 8 years and ended up moving back.
Ultimately you have to decide what you want out of life and where you will feel happiest living through the struggles that life will inevitably bring. No-where on this planet will ever be 100% perfect. Even if you do go back, you still moved countries which is a huge adventure and more than most people accomplish in a life time! Don't beat yourself up over what you think you should be doing based on other people's opinions and trust yourself. It will all work out in the end!