British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Moving back or to the UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/)
-   -   Tips: Shipping Car & Few Household goods from Minnesota (USA) to UK (https://britishexpats.com/forum/moving-back-uk-61/tips-shipping-car-few-household-goods-minnesota-usa-uk-902255/)

philippam Aug 21st 2017 2:28 am

Tips: Shipping Car & Few Household goods from Minnesota (USA) to UK

Hi everyone,
I'm looking for tips on shipping my car (Subaru, legacy 2017) back to UK along with 3 beds, a massage chair and about 20 boxes. Any ideas?
Reliable Shipping companies?
Car taxes?
Any tips would be much appreciated. I have been living out of the UK for 28 years and moving back with my 16 year old daughter so that she can do her A levels there ( Sussex).
Philippa

Pulaski Aug 21st 2017 2:45 am

Re: Tips: Shipping Car & Few Household goods from Minnesota (USA) to UK

Anything you've owned for 6 months, including your car, isn't subject to tax or duty. You will need to complete a "Transfer of Residence" (TOR) form for your shipping company to file with HMR&C to ensure import duty isn't charged.

I wouldn't bother taking the beds, they may not fit well into a house in the UK, especially a king-sized bed, and getting bedding for them will be PITA as bed sizes are all different, to varying degrees.

Has your daughter done GCSE's? If not, why is she doing A levels? .... And A levels build on the work done for GCSE's so I wouldn't recommend trying to do A levels without having done GCSE's.

philippam Aug 21st 2017 3:03 am

Thank you for your quick response and the 6 month tip!

We are coming over to the UK as my parents are not well, amongst other things. She will be studying A levels as she is wanting to give up Maths and Sciences, which she struggles with. She will be doing English, Spanish and History and we are not too worried about the academics, as she has been at a very good school here in Minnesota and also half Guatemalan so speaks Spanish. I appreciate your thoughts on the matter.

uk_grenada Aug 21st 2017 3:13 am

Your car has to be compliant with UK and eu type specification, certain things like the headlights and probably indicators and possibly other things will have to be changed. There are companies who will do the shipping, conversion work and make sure that all the paperwork is correct, there are other threads on that subject here. The total cost might be 2500-3500 pounds?

uk_grenada Aug 21st 2017 3:19 am

Re the beds, us kingsize, cal king arent the same as eu kingsize, but if shippings cheap and you have lots of sheets then why not, nb i usually use american kingsize with eu kingsize beds ok. Beware 110 volt things that are power hungry. Laptops phones etc arent an issue normally but anything that heats or cools anything [chair?] will need a nasty big step down transformer and in the case of microwaves kettles, hair dryers etc, forget it, buy new here.

uk_grenada Aug 21st 2017 3:22 am

Your car is provably > 6 months old? That would be a big mistake if not...

kirstyp Sep 5th 2017 8:52 am

Originally Posted by philippam (Post 12321068)
Reliable Shipping companies?

A great place to start for shipping is to check out FIDI website for a list of FAIM certified international removal companies that serve your area to make sure whoever you're using is fully qualified, licensed and independently vetted for overseas moving.

There are lots more tips about choosing reputable removals companies and your different options over on our vendor forum for International Removals advice. Hope it helps!

durham_lad Sep 5th 2017 1:13 pm

You may be lucky with your chair - or not. We have 2 Laz-Y-Boy loveseat recliners that we bought in 2015 and really like. When I looked at the voltage requirements I was pleased to see they could use 240v so when we shipped them over this year it was just a new plug required. If your massage chair does not take 240v but is a brand sold in the UK then it might worth contacting the UK subsidiary to see if the power supply can be replaced. Otherwise you'd need a step down transformer with a high enough power rating.

philippam Sep 5th 2017 4:59 pm

Thank you! I had not thought about the voltage!

philippam Sep 5th 2017 4:59 pm

Thank you I had not thought about that!

islandwoman120 Sep 5th 2017 8:35 pm

Another thing to consider about your car is that all the controls, steering wheel etc will be on the wrong side for UK driving. You can get a decent second hand car here, or buy new - saves a lot on shipping charges. I came back from MN 7 years ago and if I had had a crystal ball, I would have left all my US winter gear in the US and travelled light. Clothing here is different, and unless you end up in the Scottish Highlands, you won't need heavy clothing - warm undershirts, decent shoes, hats and gloves: yes. Down filled jackets: no. I had to get new leads for my PC, and though I bought plug adaptors with me, they are easily available here as there is so much European travel now. My Macintosh computer was fine as it comes with a transformer as standard. Other electronic items may well be a waste of time, as it's 220v here and they will blow up or burn out quickly. Mobile (cell) phones are different also. Hope that helps.

philippam Sep 6th 2017 4:09 am

Thank you for your "tips". My daughter had a car accident a few days ago and the car is a write off. She is thankfully OK, but it makes it easier in terms of decision making.....

islandwoman120 Sep 6th 2017 7:31 am

Originally Posted by philippam (Post 12332147)
Thank you for your "tips". My daughter had a car accident a few days ago and the car is a write off. She is thankfully OK, but it makes it easier in terms of decision making.....

Sorry about the accident and I am glad your daughter is fine. One less shipping problem to think about!